Find
Notify
Tools

SAPS permits and ammo numbers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
Going through my last bit of packing and I realized when I calculated my ammo allowance for the trip and filled out my SAPS forms for preapproval, I didn't take into account the weight of the Pelican 1200! So with 40rds of .470NE and 40rds of .375H&H, plus the Pelican 1200, plus two TSA locks (SMALL), I'm coming in at 5.5kg. I spoke with an SAA rep on the phone this am, and the ammo allowance is INCLUSIVE of the locking container. Is SAPS going to throw a fit if I show up with 40 375's and only 20 470's? I've an email out to Henry at RiflePermits right now, but I'm being impatient and asking all of you in the interim.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No..I just went throw the exact same thing a few weeks ago. My permit showed 80 rounds but to get under weight I could only take 60....which was still plenty. I had no issue and Shawn from Gracy reassured me they don't care if you have less just don't show up with more.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you show up with less ammo in Cameroon or Kazakhstan you are in BIG trouble. So please make sure of this. SA maybe ok, just saying.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym, thank you, sir. Just got confirmation of the same from Henry.

Arjun, your insight is always appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had SAA ask me what my ammo weight was. And last time I just left it in my luggage. They didn't seem to care about it.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have never had my ammo weighed!! 6-7 trips to Africa.

Counted, yes.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I arrived in South Africa a few weeks ago. Africa Sky cleared my guns and ammo. They checked serial numbers (with feined interest) and nothing more at SAPS. They asked how much ammo I had, checked what the paper work said and asked was it separate from my guns. That was it.

Safe travels.......Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've been to Africa 12 times. RSA, Zim, Botswana and Namibia. Never had my ammo weighed. I use those inexpensive plastic ammo boxes you can buy from Cabela's, Dicks, Harbor Freight etc. They are the lightest lockable containers I've found.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I've been to Africa 12 times. RSA, Zim, Botswana and Namibia. Never had my ammo weighed. I use those inexpensive plastic ammo boxes you can buy from Cabela's, Dicks, Harbor Freight etc. They are the lightest lockable containers I've found.

I use those containers too. They are much lighter than Boyt or other pistol type cases. 2 trips to Zim. Ammo weighed at check-in in JoBerg for the flight to Harare. I took 10 rounds less of .375 H&H to get under the 5 kg limit. The Zim police in the domestic terminal questioned it and were OK with it being less than my application stated. That said, it was not pleasant being at the mercy of their cognitive powers!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any discrepancy of any type can and probably will cost you money in Africa .. you may have to grease palms to get on your way. Best to be 100% correct.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Is this new? On my last trip to RSA and Zim in late 2014 I did not need to declare my ammo in regards to number of rounds until I arrived.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote