Notify
Tools

Where in 2017?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Looking at a place to go in 2017.

I am on the fence right now for next year, and am either going to Namibia or South Africa.

I enjoy Namibia, but I have been there before (2005) and want to go back. I had a less than ideal safari, but a lot of friends have gone and had a wonderful time.

My Namibia trophies never showed up. Paid for and never saw them. I am told it happens.

Anyway, next year is pretty much sorted.

The dream is something with buffalo, roan or sable in true wilderness for 2017.

I think the price point is going to be similar. Thinking 10 days of buffalo and..... or sable and.....

Here's my short list of countries.

Uganda

Tanzania

Zambia (with Balla Balla or another ranch)

Mozambique

Central African Republic (non bongo/LDE)

Cameroon (non bongo/LDE)

Benin

Burkina Faso

What do you think

Hoping for under $30K.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I would try for Uganda and get one of those huge +30" impalas and a nile buff. Good problem to have

CAR with the Swedes would be a close second

Sudan for a ibex, you get mountains and africa, best of both worlds Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been plugging Uganda into a power point and can't get to a price point that would include a Nile Buffalo.

Maybe you know another good outfitter?

What Swedes for the CAR?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Uganda.

I was talking to George Kyriakou at the shows and he showed some really cool Uganda hunts for buff, (Cape and Nile) and all the other unique options.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend went two years in a row to Uganda. Took some amazing trophies. In addition, you can fly Turkish Air and I understand it is a superior airline.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo, sable and roan in a true wilderness area? I'd opt for western Tanzania. You might be able to find something in the Caprivi, but I haven't hunted there -- yet. Send me a PM if you want a recommendation.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Burkina Faso...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you just mean daily rates, there may be some spots in TZ that will fit that, just not that I am aware of. For a wilderness hunt, it will be $$$ with your wish list.

If you want sable and Roan, west africa is out (no sable)

Uganda is pricy if you want buff in addition to PG, and I am not sure if they have huntable sable there.

Honestly, I would either trim down the wish list on this hunt or up the expected outlay. Its my experience that going on the cheap will not give you a good experience.

If the budget is pretty set, and you want the bigger hunt, the only possibility is wait for a cancellation hunt and be able to go on very short notice, which if I understand your comment about wanting 2017, you have some time restrictions.

If you are really mainly after Sable/Roan, Zambia and Tanzania are the main ones. I have not heard of folks shooting Roan in Moz, but if they do, someone will surely chime in- I know they are there, but hunted???

If you are after a wilderness hunt, I think lots of places will give you that (which have been mentioned) but northern Tanz the roan are a bit thin on the ground (they are there) but no Sable. Southern Tanz (Selous) will have Sable (but they are the smaller Roosevelt sable) but not really for the Roan. Western Tanzania has good # of both.

Zambia is also variable where you go. The Luangwa areas (at least where I was at) had neither Sable or Roan. Western Zambia has both, as does the Kafue area.

Mozambique has Roosevelt Sable, especially in the Niassa area. I know there are some roan in Moz, but I have not seen Roan on the TF list on the places I looked at booking.

To get Sable and Roan in Tanz, you are looking at a 21 day license.

Zambia is a bit different, but you need to be on a general safari tag, which is the pricier hunt. Game farms will do their own thing, but Andrew and Thor can give you a good run down on how that works- and have had some giants shot there in the last few years. If you know Balla Balla, then you probably have that price point down.

I am in the process of setting up a hunt in Cameroon for myself. The rules there are different than in southern/east Africa. The LDE, Bongo, and Forest Sitatunga (and Forest Elephant- which is nonexportable) are the glamor game there, and drive prices, so that may be doable given you don't want those, but its my understanding that charters out there are even worse money wise than Tanzania. There have been a few hunts here offered by Cam Greig and Arjun Reddy that are more adventure, but its my understanding from reading here that success on these is lower than the standard offerings- which depending on what you are really looking for may fit you well. So far, for established areas it looks like my numbers are north of $40 K when all is said and done.

I would love to do Uganda or Ethiopia, but I think the money is more there, especially if Buffalo are involved.

Like Lavaca, I have hunted Tanz a bit, and have shot all three there- but not on the same trip... and am headed back to Zambia this year also, but for Sitatunga there. I think that is a great option, but the money is more than you are talking. IME, significantly so.

I think Zambia might be doable for Buff, Sable, and Roan, but after the new concession offer, I think prices are headed significantly up, so it may not be there in 17.

If you prioritize for say, Buff and Sable that opens things up a bit- and allows for a lower price. Roan is a pricey critter right now, especially in a wilderness setting.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed the budget on the first e-mail. Tanzania would require a 21 day license for either roan or sable. That said, you can generally negotiate a hunt for fewer days on that license, but I've not seen any less than 14 days. Ten days would be tight with buffalo, sable and roan on the ticket in my opinion. In 14 days in 2013, I saw roan twice and followed tracks one additional time. Roan was high on my list, but I'm going back this year for one.

14 days is going to bust the budget in Tanzania even before trophy fees, in my experience, but there may be Tanzanian options I'm not aware of.

I've never hunted in Zambia, but I don't think it would be a much cheaper than Tanzania. You should probably check with Andrew in that regard though, as he has a great reputation here, and seems more than fair on his prices.

Anyone with any experience in the Caprivi? That might be an option and a place I've always wanted to hunt.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Andrew (Fairgame) and Thor (poacher458) may be able to help you in Zambia if their reports on AR are anything to go by.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Second Fairgame. It would be worth looking at Frostbit's report 2012, area has come on even stronger since.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of meant sable or buffalo or roan.

Some Australian friends of mine called me last night and they want to go as well.

I spent most of last night trying to find a place that would work for their game list.

She wants a kudu he wants a buffalo, and they have a price point they have to be under. They'd like a small laundery list of items, and I guess I'll see what we can find.

Planning is half the fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
I think Andrew (Fairgame) and Thor (poacher458) may be able to help you in Zambia if their reports on AR are anything to go by.

I would go for this one in a asecond. My dream hunt!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2017 is a long way away in Zambia terms. Prices may change.

Andrew would be able to offer all three in his Kafue area with very good success of getting all three. And good sizes. But not sure on his pricing.

Here in Luangwa I would be able to offer you Buff and Roan but not Sable. If you don't include shipping;-) taxidermy and air fair, we would be able to stay below your 30K limit for a Buff and roan hunt includes Day rate, trophy fees, air charter transfer, dip and pack. That's if the wildlife authority dont change their trophy fees too much.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I kind of meant sable or buffalo or roan.

Some Australian friends of mine called me last night and they want to go as well.

I spent most of last night trying to find a place that would work for their game list.

She wants a kudu he wants a buffalo, and they have a price point they have to be under. They'd like a small laundery list of items, and I guess I'll see what we can find.

Planning is half the fun.

With Kudu this more sounds like the Luangwa. Thor has exceptional Chobe Bushbuck and some very nice Puku. Not to mention a host of other PG.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote