Find
Notify
Tools

375 RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Does anyone have experince with the RUM's is their any problem with extraction with the rebated rim.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an H&S takedown and it functions fine. I don't think the rebated rim is that big a deal in reality. Several classic cartridges have been used with that feature for a long time [425 WR]. It is another flaw for the "perfectionist police" that reside in AR to complain about.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Drb:

I love RUM's..... I have a 300 RUM and have taken 14 head of African Plains Game and Bull Elk and Coyotes in the states.

Deadly accurate with factory ammo, and hits like the hammer of Thor.

Never any problems with the rebated rim.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, no problems with extraction, no more than any other cartridge, since this depends mainly on the rifle.

Rebated rim problems only come into play in feeding, when there is some of that good old Mauser wobble and bolt slop that makes it so infallible in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Way lot less tricky than the severely rebated .425 WR, since there is just a micro rebate on the RUM.

This would make the RUM more of a problem in those dastardly CRF rifles mostly. The bolt might override the rim and leave the cartridge in the box on a fast and furious or haphazard stroke while on the run.

It doesn't help combat readiness in feeding at all therefore, any rebate of any degree.

That is why Saeed's .375/404 is a better cartridge than the .375 RUM.

Perfection police signing out.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Perfection police signing out.

I guess this means there is still hope??? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the RUM cases should actually be called "mimi-rebated" since the drop in diameter is only from .550 to .532 inches. I smile broadly at suggestions that a .018 drop in diameter will have ANY effect on feeding. This is 1/55th of an inch, and places the upper extremity of the rim 1/108th of an inch lower in the magazine than it would be if it were not "rebated".

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:
All of the RUM cases should actually be called "mimi-rebated" since the drop in diameter is only from .550 to .532 inches. I smile broadly at suggestions that a .018 drop in diameter will have ANY effect on feeding. This is 1/55th of an inch, and places the upper extremity of the rim 1/108th of an inch lower in the magazine than it would be if it were not "rebated".

Yep, I smiled too, and laughed out loud, when my CZ 550 in .375 RUM would slide the bolt right over the top of the .375 RUM cartridge leaving it sitting in the magazine and closed on an empty chamber.

Much tweaking later I don't laugh about it anymore.

Why would AHR go to a non-rebated rim for their recreation of a modified .500 Jeffery?

Why would Tony Sanchez-Arino and Harald Wolf prefer the non-rebated rim for their .500 Jeffery rifles?

Sometimes just a hair's breadth can cost you your bacon.

Murphy Rules.

Great .375's:

.375 H&H
.375 Wby
.375/404 Saeed
.375 Lapua

None of them are rebated, not even mini-rebated.
Thank the bean counters for the RUM rim.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP"The bolt might override the rim and leave the cartridge in the box on a fast and furious or haphazard stroke while on the run."

RIP: What you say here may be true, but it is also true for any action type on any centerfired cartridge...I have seen M70 Mauser actions, pushfeed, and autoloaders (when not allowed to slide forward on their own) all over ride the next cartridge in the magazine...that situation comes, as you suggests, from trying to shoot and work the action fast....which will usually lead to a couple of different feeding problems, no matter what the action type or cartridge...all bolt actions will over shoot the next cartridge when the throw is too short..when the throw is long enough to eject the spent shell but not catch the next in line. It happens frequently enough. A BAR action will miss the next bullet in the magazine when not allowed to slide forward from a locked postion on its own.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwj:
RIP"The bolt might override the rim and leave the cartridge in the box on a fast and furious or haphazard stroke while on the run."

RIP: What you say here may be true, but it is also true for any action type on any centerfired cartridge...I have seen M70 Mauser actions, pushfeed, and autoloaders (when not allowed to slide forward on their own) all over ride the next cartridge in the magazine...that situation comes, as you suggests, from trying to shoot and work the action fast....which will usually lead to a couple of different feeding problems, no matter what the action type or cartridge...all bolt actions will over shoot the next cartridge when the throw is too short..when the throw is long enough to eject the spent shell but not catch the next in line. It happens frequently enough. A BAR action will miss the next bullet in the magazine when not allowed to slide forward from a locked postion on its own.

So why tempt Murphy?

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP: I agree...

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 40 plus head of game including lion, buffalo, and leopard with either a .338 or .375 Ultra Mag in a push feed action(horrors). I have never had a problem of feeding or ejection because of the rebated rim. I think the .375 Ultra is a terrific cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned and shot one for three years now in Alaska and have NEVER had a problem. This is even in the dreadful push feed Remington model 700! It has killed many bears and big moose.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the .375 RUM was designed that way to encourage the pushfeed use, which at least has less bolt wobble than the good old Mauser.

Remington even has a DGR-type Model 700 (Is that an oxymoron?) that has a single stack/vertical stack magazine, three down. Shades of the .425 WR!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mufasa and Northway...I absolutley agree with what both of you say... I personally have never had a feeding problem expect with a mauser type action in a M70 .270..it would occassionally jam the bullet on the way to the breach..But I have watched my brothers (using 7 mm Rem Mags and .338 WM) short throw their actions and look stunned when there was no bullet in the chamber...they still got their beests though...they just had to slow down, work the action with purpose so that a bullet would be placed in front of the firing pin.

Last spring a bear guide in Pybus Bay, Admiralty Island, AK, was badly mauled because, after he shot his .416 into an already wounded bear, he missed the next bullet in the magazine with a short throw...

I use only Weatherby rifles, and they are all push feed, and they all work great. I like Remingtons, I just like Weatherbys more. My point in my post above was that you should pay attention to your rifle..when working the bolt, you should make sure that the next bullet is going into the breach. I am leaving on a brown bear hunt Thursday and the three of us will be carrying a .378 WBY (me), a .375 RUM, and a .416 Rem. All push feeds and all big, fast, loud, and powerful...

Robert Jobson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick visit to to the Gunsmithing forum will quickly show the rifles with feeding problems are CRFs.

But there should be no surprises there. That case rim has to get under the extractor and at an angle. Modern parallel side calibres and straight cases set ups like the 458 Win/Lott make the problem worse as the angle is increased.

Case extractor grooves that are too shallow leave the case sitting on the follower. Case extractor groooves that are not deep enough hinder the case rim from sliding under the extractor.

Having said that, nothing looks nicer than a CRF that works cycling cartridges and they just go hand in hand with 375 H&H, 404 etc.

But for smooth reliable feeding noting beats a vertical stack centre line feed and especially for calibres like 458 Win/Lott with blunt bullets that are almost the same diameter as the chamber.

I dare say that a semi auto or full auto would not even work with CRF as the bolt would close to quickly.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rwj,

I've never owned anything but Remington's. I'm not saying they are the best at all, I am just comfortable with them and have never had a problem with one that wasn't my fault. I grew up with a 8 mag and that rifle killed every animal in Alaska except the bison, muskox and polar bear. I recently upgraded to the .375 ultra and believe me, that thing just puts things down! All of my moose and bears have been one shot kills. Only one moose took more than one step after being hit. I have heard some things on the extractors, so I may look into that, but otherwise I have been very happy with the Remington and have had them in some "hairy" situtations where they worked flawlessly. My buddy here shoots the Weatherby .378. It is a sweet gun also.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote