Find
Notify
Tools

Russell boots
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted
Does anybody have experience with the Russell Safari PH boot with the canvas sides? Have you had punctures through the canvas?

Thanks

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, I wear them exclusively on safari.
2. No, I've never had them fail in any way except for the soles to eventually need replacing.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I had Russells made out of some elephant hide and started out with very high hopes. Made a stop at Berlin, Wisconsin to get fitted. I've had some problems. The boots have been sent back twice for repairs that were failures in workmanship. Sadly, I don't wear them anymore as they cause blisters for me. I am better served by Browning Featherweights and some Redwing workboots.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Matt, was just thinking of replacing my Russell snake boots, I have had them for 20 years now and hve taken three hits, and they worked, maybe they are just suffering from all their good PR here of late on several sites

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have two pair. PH and South 40 Bird shooters.
the PH are canvas sided. They are not dry boots. NE450#2 has an all leather pair. They are comfortable in the field, not for concrete. IF you wear an orthodic or arc support you need to get your foot measured standing on the support.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As much as I like to support the "old fashioned" companies, the PH models I had did not have heel counters which meant they slipped around around on my feet. Maybe they are different now.

A good pair of "tennis" shoes are much better.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of "Mbogo PH" measured and sent to me after the 2000 SCI Convention. After receiving them I wore them quite a bit before going on safari in October 2000. While wearing them they continued to get looser and by the time I left Africa the seams were coming apart. Upon returning I sent them to Russell with a drawing of my feet and the problems I had with the boots. I received a brand new pair from Russell and couldn't be happier.

Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have a set of PH boots, but I really prefer all-leather, and my favorite Russell model is the Imperial made out of "Weather-Tough" leather, heel counters, and brown Vibram Air-Bob soles. This is a better boot for Africa than the PH in my opinion, and it gives much better support, yet it's still lightweight. You can also get this sole in black, but the brown Air-Bobs are considerably softer.

Getting Russell to achieve a proper fit for you can be a frustrating process. I've had them create boots that fit absolutely perfect, and then they work off of the same spec sheet and send out a pair that is too tight in the toe area, or too blooming big, etc. To their credit, they've been great when there has been a problem, and they do aim to please. Evidently I think their boots are worth it, since I keep on ordering more of them........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of High Country Hunters I had made for my first trip 8 years ago and they are going back this year. I believe in Leather for comfort and wear in fact I just finished treating them with silicone yesterday and they look great. I like the triple sole construction. Wish I had gotten the airbob soles though.

Posts: 70 | Location: So. Az | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the Safari PH IIs with the canvas uppers. I have had no problems with punctures on the three safaris I wore them on (but due to growing up in NYC and having to avoid stepping in dog crap, I watch where I walk ), but like Will, I wish they'd have put heel counters in them.

I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's heel cushions and everything is fine.

I bought a pair of Courteney Trackers when W-R had them on sale, and hope to use them on my next safari, whenever the hell that is.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Have you had a chance to try out the Courtney Trackers?

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I've just been walking around town with them on; they seem comfortable enough. The one time I wore them all day (about 10 hours), they seemed to get tighter, but of course that was just my foot swelling.

I want to try them with socks of different composition and thickness, to see which works best.

For $99, they are a good knock-around boot.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Well, Berlin, Wisconsin, is within driving distance for me. If I were to drive up there to get equipped for my safari next year, what boot and features would you guys recommend? This Safari model or another? I do have orthotic inserts, so I'd make sure I got measured wearing those.

Thanks, guys, as always.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I acquired a pair of Mountain PH's and used them in Limpopo RSA this year. They were great ... though one might like the softer sole as they are a bit quieter.

This is my second pair of Russell boots. The first was a pair of Bird Hunters that went 30 years. I'll replace those soon.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wore my PH's for 2 weeks straight since I forgot to bring sneakers for around camp. Loved them, one of the best equipment investments I made for the trip. I will resole them to a flat sole for next trip as my vibram air bob soles were a bit crunchy on the ground.

Will and GeorgeS,

They are available with heel counters for just a few bucks more which is what I had done, really makes them very nice.

Posts: 1523 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I didn't know about that option then (1997).

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the Green PH II's that are over ten years old. I practically live in them for a month each year. I got the soft crepe sole but with a heel instead of just a wedge so when I'm in rocky ground there is something to catch instead of slip off of the rocks. A few years back they seemed to draw up and get tight. I sent them in and they stretched them back to normal. I store them with shoe trees in them now. You can get them with any sole you want and specify heel counters if you need them. I had an original pair of the old brown leather and canvas PH's that I still wear to do chores in the summer. The webbing stretched a bit on them. Russell told me that the green canvas wouldn't stretch and they were right. If I ever wear out my PH II's, I'm going to get another pair. I have a pair of Art Carter's that I travel in and also use at conventions and gunshows. Anything that has lots of walking and standing. I've used them in the bush as well with short gaiters. They have the light weight Sky Walker sole which I really like.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Russ,

What is your opinion of the GI issue Desert boot for a dry weather safari boot? I was looking at a pair the other day and I am not sure I like the design of the sole to be honest.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a pair of Russell's until a few months ago. When I got them I wore them a lot to break them in and found they really didn't need much break-in.

It should be noted that, as the company name says, they are a moccasin design. Which means they don't have the support of a typical hiking boot... but they don't make the noise either.

I wore them several weeks ago on an elephant hunt and put on a tremendous number of miles. Honestly my White's would have been a little more comfortable but not nearly as quiet.

I had a heck of a time getting them water-proof but a couple coats of SnowSeal finally did it (we were in the tail end of that rainy season, for most safaris I wouldn't have worried about it).

Mine are the PH II model and I used all (green, they say it's more waterproof ) leather instead of canvas and went a little higher than their normal offering, both modifications were for a little more ankle support (Have you ever hunted on a tweaked ankle?!?!).

Spend the extra $6 for lacing studs, they are very quick and handy, you'll thank me later.

I've been wearing a pair of the Chukkas for everyday use and am really happy with them.

Regards,
Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Russ,

What is your opinion of the GI issue Desert boot for a dry weather safari boot?

Pete:

Thanks for asking.

The GI-issue desert boot is a POS.

Take care, Pete.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
I've stopped in at Russell Moccasin's factory quite a few times (I work in Berlin, WI)--it is a true family run operation and they will measure your feet and build a pair to fit--if it's not exactly right, they'll make it right.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Russ' opinion of the GI issue boot. My middle son sent me three pair (the little prick). After getting blisters all over my feet I called him up and asked why he sent them. He said "I never did like you dad." and then I could hear him laughing like a Leprechan on PCP.
Seriously, they are nasty. The nylon across the top cuts into your instep. Your feet slide around inside and the ends of your toes start bleeding. Other than that they are wonderful.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for a couple of months now and love them. They won't see Africa until September, but I don't foresee any problems. Besides that, the nice man who measures your feet at the conventions is really sweet! We all know that matters.

Really, I have a pair of Timberland's that I've had for 15 years that I love, but that style is not made any more. I don't like a really stiff boot. I have small feet that are accustomed to wearing 3" heels the majority of the time and the Timberland's are nice and soft and move with me. The other boots I've tried have been stiff and I tend to literally trip over my own feet. The Russell's are more like my Timberland's. I'll let you know after I get back!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote