New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving a Rifle in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know regs are tough but what are current rules, laws, methods, etc. on leaving a rifle as a tip, gift, etc. to your PH. I assume this can be done if paperwork is done properly. I also assume if you go in with 2 rifles and only come out with one, you will have a problem. Trying to avoid any problems. Hopefully, Ganyana or Ivan can help.

Thanks,

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Read up on ITAR and CARs regs from US. That will discourage you before you even see the wringer Zim will put you through.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I had no problem leaving a rifle in Zim, with it spending some time held until permits where issued to the new owner.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Adam, it's not the "leaving it" in Zim part that is the issue, the PH's can organize the necessary paperwork on their end to be completed at the end of the safari at the airport.

The problem, at least w/guys from the US and maybe it is easier down-under, is the paperwork on our side to complete it legally.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it better to give the PH money so that he can purchase what he needs most?

Posts: 35 | Location: Cell Block "D" | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
If you are a U.S. Citizen then taking a rifle to a forign country and not bringing it back is considered "exporting defense items" and you need to do some paperwork through the U.S. Department of State to make it legal from our side. You ask them for a one time exemption from the requirement to obtain an arms trader's license. It's not impossible, just takes some time to fill out all the paperwork. You must include in your request a copy of the Zim PH's import paperwork showing that it is legal for him to import the rifle from the U.S., and that is the difficult part. Not for you, but for him.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Two possibilities take two 4457'd the new one with only one rifle coming home on it...
Second possibility cruising up Kariba and hippo hit boat knocking it in water...very deep water...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Not a good idea in this post 9/11 world. Get caught and it's BIG trouble........ even discussing it on a public forum is not to be recommended.

Big Brother is watching.

BTW, did you get my email?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be done, and has been done for me... but Art Alphin of A squarre went through 7 years of hell and went bankrupt over exporting a rifle to zim without the proper paperwork (it was a prize at the ZPHGA hunters ball - and was won by another American - the SCI Africa rep- Andre de Georges!!!!)

I cannot tell you how to do the paperwork on your side.

On the zim side. The easiest is if you supply the PH with weapon details- make, cal and serial no before you leave. He can then apply for an import permit.

You arrive and do the hunt using a standard xzim temp import permit. At the end of the hunt, when the PH drops you at the airport, you declare you are giving the PH a used rifle. Customs can see that you have used the rifle (you have a temp import permit) and that the PH has an import license for the same. They then charge the PH the duty. You climb on the plane and the PH goes back with the rifle and changes the import permit to a regular license.

IF the PH doesn't have an import license before the end of the hunt, he has to leave the rifle at customs until he gets it. No big deal, just I hate leaving my new toy in anybody else hands!!!! I want to shoot it!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Oy...here we go again...

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any ideas on how to clear issues on US side. This is not for me but for a friend. Just trying to help out.

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Larry,

This subject has been discussed here on several occasions, and my take on it is to avoid it like the plague.

If your friend wishes to give his PH a rifle, I suggest he pays him to buy it himself.

Going through propr chanels to get this done is going to take a lot of effort and time.

If he tries to do it by just leaving the rifle there, claiming an accident had happened to it, he is leaving himself open to all sort of legal problems which I am sure he can do without.

In the past I have left rifles in Africa as presents. The last time I did this was 1994.

Remember the song "those were the days my friend".

I won't do it now.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bear

I did it just that in Zim back in 1993. No problem in those days, as Saeed mentioned.

The problem, as stated is the difficulty in getting the paperwork done in the American side in post 9/11 times...

I would not do it today.

If the idea is to have a rifle in Zim, either rent it there or get it back to the USA and sell it there to recover the investment...

If the idea is to leave a tip to the PH, leave it in cash...

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote