Notify
Tools

Wildebeest Strikes Back
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked this story up off the AP wire today. Thought it might be of interest:

Indiana man killed by own wildebeest
Tuesday 12 07 2004 - 02:04:00 PM SOUTH BEND, Ill., Dec 07, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- An Indiana man was killed when his 500-pound pet wildebeest trampled him in the barnyard of his North Liberty home, the South Bend (Ind.) Tribune said Tuesday.

Authorities did not know why the wildebeest, also known as a gnu, attacked 64-year-old Klaus "Dick" Radandt, but said the animal may have been protecting his mate.

The animal apparently knocked a pen gate off his hinges, used his head to ram Radandt multiple times and then repeatedly stepped on him once he was prone, said St. Joseph County Coroner Chuck Hurley.

The investigating police officer from St. Joseph County said wildebeests become aggressive this time of year because it is the beginning of mating season. The animal may have perceived Radandt as a threat, he said.

Radandt's wife, Terrilyn, found him in the barnyard Sunday after he failed to return for lunch. Family members declined to comment to the Tribune.

The gnu was one of three the Radants own, in addition to ostriches, emus, reindeer and llamas.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My PH told me that he considered the wildebeest.....and I don't remember if he stated the black or the blue.....to be the most dangerous of the plains game.

Apparantly that also applies to those living a domesticated life style.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"gnu" idea either why it acted that way.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I gnu something like this would happen.

I only wonder wildebeest do it again.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The investigating police officer from St. Joseph County said wildebeests become aggressive this time of year

Even though it was now living in the northern hemisphere?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote