New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hunting Report?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did a search and didn't come up with anything very recent, but what's the consensus on the Hunting Report? Is it still a worthwhile subscription? I was looking at the print and online version. I'm probably not going to do too, too much traveling to hunt in the next few years, but enjoy reading hunt reports. Are they detailed like they are here? Or just yes/no, pro/con type of reports?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Id save your money. So many resources available now that i would personally not spend money there.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still subscribe and will continue to do so.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I subscribe and have for years. Some of my really good trips came about because of others reports and suggestions.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good tool, but a good agent is better....

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easily worth the $100/year, just for the extra data in a single place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was in Hawaii on family business every year for five or six years, and I hunted on most of those trips. What goes on in that state is so bizarre that it makes south Louisiana look like a model of decorum and logic by comparison. The hunting situation there is driven by the history of the islands, the native Hawaiian religion, tension between the locals and tourists, politics, family connections, and money. It's more tangled than any other place I've hunted, and it's one of the few places where I genuinely worried about getting into serious legal trouble over minor infractions.

I wanted to know more about what was driving all of the weirdness, so I talked with hunters, guides, farmers, property owners, farm workers, and gun-shop owners. I even drove from Kona to Hilo to talk with biologists at the Game Department office. I also did a ton of online research, which led me to The Hunting Report. Their description of the situation was so wildly and utterly different from what I saw and experienced first hand that I've ignored them ever since.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
it makes south Louisiana look like a model of decorum and logic by comparison.

You mean we are not???

I receive it now and may or may not renew my subscription. It is inexpensive, about the cost of a hamburger and fries each month, and there is some good info there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a subscriber for 25 years and will continue,consider it another resource.I'm not a deep pockets hunter so I research carefully.I've got more info by phone from fellow subscribers than off the internet and self -serving booking agents.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I find it helpful and originally subscribed many years ago. I have spoken with the editor, Barbara Crown, a few times this year. and always find her helpful. They provide information related to hunting travel which can be very valuable, as well as the individual hunting reports.

Money well spent.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:
it makes south Louisiana look like a model of decorum and logic by comparison.

You mean we are not???

It's a question of perspective. What happens in south Louisiana makes sense in south Louisiana, even if it doesn't make sense anywhere else.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I do subscribe and do find value here. Even if it's only as confirmation of what I'm hearing from other sources, it serves a valid purpose. And as a very pro-hunting business that gives a best effort to support and help us, I'm happy to do so !

Posts: 741 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote