New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solids for a 416 remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up a 416 remington . I like the 400 grain swift a frame for a soft but who loads the best solid in a factory load??

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
gunny, Barnes solids or Woodleigh can't be beat...I used custom made Bridger solids and took a bull ele with a frotal brain shot with absolutely no deformation...That is what you want...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Woodleigh, Barnes or Stewart...The worst (IMO) is the Trophy Bonded.

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Gunny

I used Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammers in my .416 Rem. Mag.to take my buffalo in Zim last year worked well. The bullets recovered looked like they could be reused.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Barnes for the longest time. These days I am leaning a bit more toward the woodleigh for reloading. HOWEVER, for cheap factory ammo, you might consider HSM who uses the Hornady solid (though I think you could order whatever you wanted). The ability to get FACTORY .416 Rem for under $40 per box is really a blessing.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ANY solid today will work on Buffalo, I don't think solids ever failed on Buffalo, but many have on elephant....

I agree with retreever, the hard as hell, yet not brittle Bridger flat nose solid was the best solid every made, unfortunatly they are no longer available, but the upside is I still have enough to get me by for the next 10 years if I am conservative with them...I will save these for Elephant...I have shot a number of Buffalo at all angles with them but have yet to recover one....Loaded up some for some African PH friends and they shot some elephant with them and they knocked two holes in all the elephants shot. its just a great solid....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Woodleigh 410gr Weldcores and Solids.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny,

I believe the only readily available factory solids are the Trophy bonded Sledgehammers loaded by Federal and the Barnes monolithic loaded by Remington for 416 Remington. Personally I've had good luck with the sledgehammers but evidently Steve has seen them fail. You could call Superior Ammo and Larry could load anything you want or better yet what he has had the best feed back on. He literally loads thousands of rounds each year for safari bound hunters. He knows his stuff. Superior Ammo 1-800-677-8737.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, Hold on a bit. Bridger bullets is down but not out. I may yet make a come back.
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
My vote goes to Woodleigh, Barnes or Stewart...The worst (IMO) is the Trophy Bonded.

Can you tell us how many Trophy Bonded solids you have seen fail, and under what circumstances?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyone factory loads them, but I had great luck using the Barnes solid in a .416 Rem. on an elephant last year.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gunny:

My vote is ofr Barnes first, Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammers second.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information guys. I used woodleigh solids in my .375 and they worked quite well also you all seem to like barnes. I guess I will just reload and use woodleigh or barnes whichever shoots best. The only time I used sledgehammers they wouldnt group or shoot to the same point of aim as my softs.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Federal Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammer! hands down, Shot a elephant with it last year, with the Remington .416, the finishing shot, you know the one to make sure its done. well, we recovered the bullet from the skull, looks as if it was never shot! Perfect!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here had a FMJ Hornady .375, .416, or .458 fail???

Not that I have heard.

Bridger's are probably C3600 "free machining brass," same as Barnes or A -Square. BFD.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Wrong !! thumbdown That information I'm not giving out.
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote