New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Bullet Dilema
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, before I get too far in this post, I will say that by no means am I an expert. Therefore, please forgive me if my so called terminology is a little off when it comes to ammo...lol.

I will be going on my first Plains Game hunt in a few months. I really need to get the best ammunition I can. However, its difficult for me to decide. I need to know what type of bullet you would suggest. I'll give you all the info. I have and then you can tell me how screwed up I am:

Rifle- 300 Win Mag Browning A-Bolt.

Grain of bullet I will most likely take: 180 gr

Animals that will be hunted:

Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Imapala, Hyenna, Warthog, Zebra......

Here is my theory after my research (keep in mind that I have hunted 25 years with lower grade bullets):

Barnes 180 gr. Vor-TX (Polymer tip) for the smaller game such as impala, blesbok, wart hog....

Now, I am told that a non polymer, Barnes Triple-Shok would be better for the larger, Kudu and Eland... animals.

But, as I am sure will happen, I will see animals unexpectedly such as a Warthog on a Kudu hunt or an Eland on a blesbok hunt. Therefore, would one type of bullet work?

A friend of mine, that has hunted SA says no. He says the polymer (non-partition) bullet did not work well on smaller animals?????

So, what do you think? BTW, please also tell me where to buy the Barnes Triple-Shock. No one seems to stock them.

I reall appreciate your help.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure others will disagree, but I firmly believe you'd be well-served by a 180 grain Accubond. I've watched 140 grain Accubonds out of my .280 AI perform perfectly on kudu, zebra, sable, waterbuck, and lots of smaller stuff. Bones weren't an issue, and the few bullets recovered (most were pass-throughs) were textbook mushrooms with excellent weight retention. I understand that an eland is a much bigger animal, but I'm confident a 180 grain Accubond would be plenty. And on the smaller stuff, you should get faster kills, since the Accubond will open up more quickly than the TSX. Furthermore, it's a more accurate bullet. Notably, the guys at the Nosler booth at SCI admitted that the Accubond just about eliminates the need for the Partition. What's not to love?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jason P,

Cabelas has a wide assortment of ammunition. The "lead free" by Black Hill' Gold (180 grain) and Lead Free Federal Premium (130, 165, and 180 grain) should fit what you want as they use TSX bullets and Cabelas carries both. Put the bullet into the boiler room and you will have dead trophy game! They will work on small as well as large game animals. I don't see why you would need to use one bullet for small plains game and another for the larger game if you are using TSX, A Frame, Partition, etc. Have a great hunt!

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend Partitions. They'll penetrate on all and expand on all. The true definition of a premium bullet.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You are making this uncessesarily complicated. Pick a quality 180 grain bullet that shoots well in your gun, and go have fun. You cannot go wrong wtih a Nosler Accubond or Partition, a Barnces TSX, TTSX or whatever other version of their triple shock you want, or Swift, Trophy Bonded, and quite a few other good bullets. Pick ONE bullet, and use it for everything. Get your gun sighted in well, and PRACTICE with it. If you hit them in the right place with a good bullet, they're all gonna die, and most of them will die within sight of where you shoot 'em.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal Vital Shock ammo using the 180 gr. Nosler Accubond is available from www.natchez.com for $46.54 per box. Hope this helps and good luck on your PG hunt.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You're over thinking this. Any premium bullet that your rifle shoots well will work fine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
You're over thinking this. Any premium bullet that your rifle shoots well will work fine.

+1 and 180 grain. Decide early which shoots the most accurately and then practise with it, and keep practising. That will make more difference than the brand or construction of ammo you choose..

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vor-TX is a tipped TSX loaded by Barnes. If it shoots well in your gun, its fine for all of the above. In fact, I have heard that the tipped versions of the triple shock are a bit harder than the non tipped TSX's, so they will penetrate a bit deeper/ have a little less expansion at long range.

If you handload, a 300 win mag will do well with any of the premiums or partition type bullets. Really anything that works with elk for you will do fine for everything you mentioned except maybe (and if its a good broadside shot, maybe not)the eland needs a premium.

If you are using factory loads, it makes it a bit more expensive to find out what your gun likes, but any good 180 will do the job on any of those critters, given reasonable shot selection. African game is not armor plated, but if you really want to take Texas heart shots you need a lot bigger gun than a .300 on Eland and Gemsbok.

So don't overthink it, shoot what the gun likes for accuracy.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

+1 and 180 grain. Decide early which shoots the most accurately and then practise with it, and keep practising. That will make more difference than the brand or construction of ammo you choose..

I would just take one load of TSX or Tipped TSX or Nosler Accubonds and make sure that I know the trajectory of the load out to 300 meters or more. If you start messing with 2 or 3 bullets and loads, it is very easy to get confused with sighting in, trajectory, bullet drop etc.

Since I have a very good bullet & accurate load, I would focus on practicing and getting my confidence up for the hunt that has been a dream for so long!

Have a great hunt.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If factory ammunition with Nosler Partitions shoots OK in your rifle, that's what I would take, because that's what I have taken in the past and have no regrets whatsoever. I tried 260 grain Accubonds in my 375 H&H (handloaded by me) on my last Namibia hunt and they worked very well also. But hunting isn't bench rest shooting so you don't really need 1/2 minute of angle accuracy. Factory ammo will probably be more consistent in your rifle, unless you are a dedicated and experienced hand loader. Most of us only have a certain amount of time to devote to hunt preparation. It's better spent practicing shooting under field conditions than fiddling around with powders and bullets and chronographs, thereby introducing a whole bunch of new variables which mostly take away from actually shooting the rifle a lot. Of course, if you've been hunting for 25 years, then you may have a load that you really trust and you might just want to go with that and not worry too much about the bullet.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
OK, before I get too far in this post, I will say that by no means am I an expert. Therefore, please forgive me if my so called terminology is a little off when it comes to ammo...lol.

I will be going on my first Plains Game hunt in a few months. I really need to get the best ammunition I can. However, its difficult for me to decide. I need to know what type of bullet you would suggest. I'll give you all the info. I have and then you can tell me how screwed up I am:

Rifle- 300 Win Mag Browning A-Bolt.

Grain of bullet I will most likely take: 180 gr

Animals that will be hunted:

Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Imapala, Hyenna, Warthog, Zebra......

Here is my theory after my research (keep in mind that I have hunted 25 years with lower grade bullets):

Barnes 180 gr. Vor-TX (Polymer tip) for the smaller game such as impala, blesbok, wart hog....

Now, I am told that a non polymer, Barnes Triple-Shok would be better for the larger, Kudu and Eland... animals.

But, as I am sure will happen, I will see animals unexpectedly such as a Warthog on a Kudu hunt or an Eland on a blesbok hunt. Therefore, would one type of bullet work?

A friend of mine, that has hunted SA says no. He says the polymer (non-partition) bullet did not work well on smaller animals?????

So, what do you think? BTW, please also tell me where to buy the Barnes Triple-Shock. No one seems to stock them.

I reall appreciate your help.

You're right to be concerned about bullet selection. Animals have been taking bullets and dodging them for at least 200 years now and evolution is starting to take its toll. This is especially true in Africa where great white hunters used to sling several ounces of lead at all sorts of stuff. Any bullet that weighs less than about 300 grains and doesn't cost at least a dollar each just doesn't work any more. Besides, if you respect the animal, you should use the most expensive components you can buy.

You also need at least 5 types of bullets for a successful hunt. For Eland and Kudu, only the Barnes TSX will work but, hit a Blesbok with one, and it will run away. Then, you never know when an angry elephant will charge out of the bush wanting to stop you to death so its best to have some solids like the Barnes Banded Solids. Once you make your bullet selections, you'll need to either have several scopes with you to switch out so you'll hit the right place with each bullet or you'll have to remember your scope setting so you can make quick changes so your shots will be on target.

Finally, "magnums" shoot their bullets so fast they can zip right through doing very little damage. I believe this has something to do with the theory of relativity. The faster they go, the less time they have to expand and as they approach the speed of light, they have no time to expand at all and thus won't do anything at all. For this reason, a 458 Lott is OK because it isn't a magnum but a 500 S&W Magnum would shoot its bullets much too fast to be effective.

As for non partition stuff not working on smaller animals, let the evidence speak for itself; I have experience in this as well.

A large Ohio bull groundhog taken with a 115 grain FMJ 9mm bullet. Don't try something that light in Africa though.

The exit wound of another large Ohio bull groundhog taken with a 165 gr. Barnes TSX out of a 30/06. I was right in not using a magnum but probably should have used a special groundhog bullet.

By the way, there are many places to buy Barnes bullets such as MidwayUSA, directly from Barnes and a bunch of other places as well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear jason

The ones that shot best in your rifle.

Shooting is like golf any one can do a good shot. It is just your mind that plays tricks.

If you think you can you will if you can not you will not.

Have shot african game with: 308 solids

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I probably am over thinking it. I have already spent ALOT of time shooting my gun in the past several months.

Grumulkin: Thanks for the migraine. Great advice. Maybe they will allow me an extra carry on.....

My gun shoots everything pretty decent and it will be factory load ammo.. I'm going to try a few boxes of each and stick with one type. I know I am over thinking it a little but I guess being a little over prepared isn't such a bad thing.

Thanks again for all your help..

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with the Barnes TSX. I used the 150 gr in my 7mm Rem Mag for my African plains game hunt. Everything was a complete pass through except for the blesbok - 170 yards full frontal - ended up back in the guts after clipping the heart. The springbok was at 80 yards and went down after about 5 yards (through the shoulders). The Kudu dropped on the spot at about 100 yards (high shoulder) and the wildebeest took 2 shots because I hit high and back on the first shot. The second at about 70 yards dropped him in his tracks. I could not ask for better performance.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any good premium grade factory ammo will do the job if you do your part and put the bullet where it needs to be.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be little concerned about a front-on shot on eland, but other than that nearly all of the previous comments are right on. One exception: I would avoid the Partition. It's a good bullet, but several others are better. Personally, I use TSX's in all three of my Africa rifles. (30-06, 375 H & H, 458 Lott) Ten safaries, including three buff, eland, etc., etc.

The likelihood of a shot beyond 200 yds is very small. 180's at 3000, zero at 200, 1.5" high at 100, down 6" at 300. Good to go. One load only.

When you get there, practice setting up on the sticks so that the PH, tracker know how you like it. Don't worry too much about accuracy. 1.5 moa will do the job.

You will have a wonderful time, guaranteed. Footwear is just as important as your rifle. Don't take too much stuff. Do take a few small US bills, $5, $10, $20. Don't forget to tip your PH. There are many discussions here regarding that. Shit will go wrong. Stay loose. Do follow your PH's instructions, with one exception: If you are not comfortable with a shot, don't take it. If you can take the extra time, go to Kruger National Park or one of the other fine parks in Southern Africa. Travel is very affordable once you get there, and the flight over is a bitch. Get in zen mode for the flight. Oh, and you WILL have a wonderful time. There is absolutely no experience like your first safari.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+++11111 Brice right on the money. best advice I have seen on here in a long time. tu2

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I most likely stick with the barnes Vortex and hope the polymer tip works ok.
Yes, I will be going to Kruger and will for sure tip my PH as well as the staff.
I am going with an open mind and want the trip to be a positive, for me, my wife, and the PH and his staff. I'm used to shooting and have mostly overcome my panic when I see an animal lol...
We fly from Salt Lake, to Atlanta, then directly to Africa. This for sure will be a fulfillment of a dream.
With exception to whitetail and sheep, I've hunted about everything in the lower 48. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I am really looking forward to this!

I don't want to screw up my once in a lifetime chance at an Elend or Kudu!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
+ another 1

One bullet, [Barnes, tsx or variant,] one load.

Barnes bullets work fine on Springbok,Impala, Warthog, Eland, and Cape Buffalo andeverything in between.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote