THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Taxidermists in the NY, NJ, MA, PA area

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Taxidermists in the NY, NJ, MA, PA area
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
I figure this is about the best place to get some feed back on who to have animals mounted with. I was originally planned on having them done in RSA, but have decided that it would be better to have them done here. So I'm looking for a reputible taxidermist in the PA, MD, NJ, NY and even VA area that does a lot of African stuff. Any contact info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check Frank Zitz, Rhinebeck, NY (845) 876-4896.

Frank Zitz

He's not inexpensive, but he's very talented.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus Zimmerman in Martinsburg, Pa 814-793-2821. Go to the 2005 World Taxidermy page and see examples of his Kudu. He lectured there on Africian game. This should get you there http://www.taxidermy.net/reference/mammal/kudu.html - 6k. I should have also added http://www.taxidermy.net/wtc/wtcseminars.html.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
I have had some great African mounts done by Northeast Taxidermy in Middletown, CT. Joe and Lowrey are the proprietors and have been in business since 1976. They did a Diorama of a Leopard, Hyena and Baboon for me that is very striking. They are very resposive to transform your ideas into life like mounts. My wife enjoys working with them, she is my chief decorator.
They have done wall mounts and pedestal mounts for me. I have seen their mounts of Elephant, Hippo, and my EA Greater Kudu gets rave reviews by everyone who sees it. They are completing my last safari as we speak. They can be contacted at 860-6132067 or E:mail
Joe@Northeasttaxidermy.com
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
contact Widowmaker416 from NJ Ron knows his stuff and is a member of AR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker 416 comes highly recommended.
If you are in the southcentral PA area, I could recommend two local taxidermists that do very nice work and don't charge two arms and three legs or a firstborn.

You are wise to bring the skins and horns home. I had my mounts done in RSA the first time. Never again. NEVER AGAIN, I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter, the pictures of the Kudu (on your link) were taken by Marcus Zimmerman and are reference photos of live kudu and recently killed kudu. They are not photos of a mount. But you are correct that he does very nice work.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:

GeorgeS is right, Frank Zitz is the man. I have known him for over 30 years, and he's a very talented man. And yes, Frank did the muflon's on my Avatar among many other mounts.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist is Todd Rappallee or Rappallee Taxidermy in Goochland, VA. He isn't cheap, but the quality is really nice - he's won several awards at various shows. If you are comfortable extending the search into VA, I would highly recommend.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill's Wildlife Studio
William and Michelle Gouba
5 W. Risser Mill Rd., Mt. Joy, PA 17552
Phone: 717-898-5835
Fax: 717-898-5835
Email: billswildlife@aol.com

Bill does lots of African mounts.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.truelifetaxidermy.com Bob Vitro is very talented and does great African work. He is in Middletown, NY.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Creative Concepts Taxidermy
7194 Montevideo Rd
Jessup, MD 20794
Main Phone: 410-799-1558

He does incredible work, does a lot of work for members of Chesapeake Chapter SCI, has an incredible studio and and pays attention to the small details.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone! I'll give some of these guys a call as some are quite a bit closer to "home" than others. i.e. Baltimore area...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote