New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: tape over the muzzle
 Login/Join

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I always tape the muzzle to keep out debris. In addition, if the rifle is being carried on a rifle rack in the back of the vehicle, I place tape around the barrel where it makes contact with the rack. It keeps the blueing from rubbing off.

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Probably the single most important reason to do this in Africa is the mud wasp. We had a group in camp with us, and one of the hunters, and older guy named, "Doc" who left his rifle in the truck during a long lunch that strecthed into a nap, and by evening a wasp had packed the end of his berrel with mud.

On of the trackers saw the wasp fly out of the muzzle when they were climbing in the truck or they might not have found it.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been doing it for yrs.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit amazed your PH's hadn't heard of this, it's a popular and wise move especially in poor weather. With the mud wasp problems in Africa I'd think they'd have had a patent on it by now.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto!!

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To get away from getting adhesive on the muzzle/barrel I wonder how a finger from a small latex surgical glove would work. Kind of like a condom for your barrel. It should break easier than tape with no adhesive, just an idea, as long as its a snug fit