Login/Join

one of us
posted
From SW Radio Africa

Zim elephants increasingly traumatised

ZIMBABWE CONSERVATION TASK FORCE

15th October 2010

TRAGIC DEATH OF DON HORNSBY

It is with deep regret that we announce that South African businessman, Don Hornsby was killed by an elephant in Kariba on October 13th 2010.

Don, an avid conservationist and nature lover was attacked by an elephant whilst on holiday in Matusadona. He was a great supporter of wildlife and assisted us in the feeding of Tatenda, the orphaned baby rhino.

Less than a month ago, Geoff Blythe was lucky to escape with his life after an elephant attack in Kariba and we would like to appeal to everybody to exercise extreme caution when coming into contact with elephants in Zimbabwe. Due to the poaching and number of elephants being shot, they have become traumatized and are extremely unpredictable and dangerous.

Our sincere condolences to Don's wife, Felicity and family on the loss of a good friend and fellow conservationist.

Johnny Rodrigues
Chairman for Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SOUTH AFRICAN KILLED BY ELEPHANT IN ZIMBABWE
October 15, 2010 by newsdzezimbabwe

A South African was attacked and killed by an enraged elephant while fishing in Zimbabwe on Wednesday afternoon.

Donald Hornsby is said to have been fishing the Siyakhovu water’s of the lake with a group of friends, when a herd of elephants presented a picture-perfect moment.
It is understood that he tried to photograph the animals when he was suddenly attacked and killed.

Donald is apparently well-known within the hockey fraternity in South Africa and is a keen outdoor person who lived life to the full.

His body is at the Kariba mortuary while arrangements are made to fly his remains home

His son, Gareth said that the family is in a state of shock after his untimely death.

Zimbabwean authorities earlier confirmed the incident, but declined to go on record.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A lot of folks are extremely lackadaisical around elephants.

Sometimes it catches up with them.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad but true

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Note the spin in Rodriguez' statement. Of course, elephants loved humans and would play gently with them, until the invention of gunpowder. Then all bets were off.

Cretin. If he was a true conservationist, he would protest land reform and promote elephant culling.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just returned from Kariba and was there when this tragic accident occured. The story over the two way radio was that he apparently got off his boat to photograph the elephant. The elephant in question is known to houseboat captains as being very aggresive.

My condolences to the family.

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Note the spin in Rodriguez' statement. Of course, elephants loved humans and would play gently with them, until the invention of gunpowder. Then all bets were off.

Cretin. If he was a true conservationist, he would protest land reform and promote elephant culling.

Hear hear. Rodrigues is an anti personified....no reasoning other than his own can ever be right

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tragic! His legacy should be to cull 10,000 Ele's from Kruger, 50,000 from ZIM and 75,000 from BOTS...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry this fellow met a violent end, but it should come as no surprise to anyone that elephants are dangerous.

Further evidence, if it were needed, that it is reckless to venture among elephants without a heavy caliber rifle and a back up plan.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13476 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I express my sympathy for his family and friends...

But just like the guy killed by the mountain goat in Oregon....

You just should not be in the presence of wild animals, or even large domestic animals, without adequate firearms...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the above. The tragic thing is that poor Don was not allowed to walk on the kariba shore line as it is strickly forbidden by parks for this very reason. I hope all visitors to DG areas take heed from this tragic affair. They are not called 'DANGEROUS' for nothing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the ele was a cow or bull. Anyone know?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lone bull according to the 2 way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Musk?

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote