New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa Employment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for suggestions, information, or even a contact to lead to a position in Africa for camp help, tracker, or other positons.

I grew up in rural coastal North Carolina hunting about every species, primarly with hounds. Currently, I am attending college and in top notch shape. I want to persue my dreams of working in Africa to get on hunts. I figure I have atleast three years of college ahead, so that gives me atleast three summers. I have accepted the fact that I may start out working for keep and tips. I feel as though I owe it to my widowed Mom (father died when I was 7) to get on with a safe hunting outfit, so research is a must. I have emailed many schools, with little response and even emailed several outfitters. If a school would offer me some type of position garuantee on the fact that I excell in the course and am a hard worker, I would leave tomorrow!

Thanks,

Robert

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert,

I could do with a hand in Luangwa and the Kafue in Zambia however your stay would be limited to three months a year initially as a visitor.

The Kafue project will require managers in the future but I cannot guarantee anything yet? However we will in the future have access to a number of work permits from our Investment License.

Not sure yet if we would be hunting the Kafue but we currently operate a small exclusive safari hunting company in the Luangwa valley.

If this is of interest to you then let me know.

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
If you are considering South Africa, get hold of PHASA (Professional Hunting Association of SA) and they will put your name and request on their bulletin emailed to all members.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've sent you a PM but will say that you can forget jobs such as tracker/skinner etc because Africa is full of locals that will be able to do those jobs better and cheaper than you can but you might be able to get work in camp management etc and it's not impossible for you to train and ultimately become a PH in your own right.... it's not easy by any means but it's not impossible. (See link below my signature)

As Karoo has suggested you might also like to contact PHASA at www.phasa.co.za and ask them to put something in their newsletter saying you're looking for work...... however, don't be suprised to find you may well have to work for nothing but keep to start with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three months is all I have, I am a full time American college student persueing med school.

I have vast experiences hunting American game and have skinned 200+ animals. I realize this means little to an African company, but my skills of dealing with American customers I would think are valuable?

I realize my goals are high, but a tracker is exactly what my limited knowlegde has lead me to want to become. I want to be on the hunt, but do not feel as though my limited stays will provide necessary training to become a PH.

I have considered SA, and may contact them come January of this year. I am only 19 this summer, but will be 20 going on 21 next summer. My summer breaks run from early may-late august.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhromm:
Three months is all I have, I am a full time American college student persueing med school.

I have vast experiences hunting American game and have skinned 200+ animals. I realize this means little to an African company, but my skills of dealing with American customers I would think are valuable?

I realize my goals are high, but a tracker is exactly what my limited knowlegde has lead me to want to become. I want to be on the hunt, but do not feel as though my limited stays will provide necessary training to become a PH.

I have considered SA, and may contact them come January of this year. I am only 19 this summer, but will be 20 going on 21 next summer. My summer breaks run from early may-late august.

You can forget finding work as a tracker or skinner etc for the reasons I've mentioned and quite frankly I think you'll find that most if not all safari companies would prefer their senior staff such as PH etc to do most of the communicating with the clients. The reason for that is the PH (etc) will know what he's talking about when it comes to African hunting and related subjects and you will not.

Limited stays of some months at a time might not necessarily rule you out of eventually becoming a PH but it will mean a longer apprentiship/training period.... one thing that will be of great interest to an employer in Africa is your medical training/experience and that would work in your favour.

Bearing in mind your time slots, you might be able to (initially at least) find work in a safari camp that would at least allow you to develop a few contacts in the industry..... it's a slow process though.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might also like to contact Andrew/Fairgame who might have something for you.

Rumour has it he's a crusty old bugger but don't let that put you off. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shakari, that is just the information I needed. I am going to download your book today (day off) and get to reading.

fairgame, you have a PM.

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I hope you have better luck than I did. I will tell you do extensive research on anyone who says yes and go into it with no misconceptions.
Cheers,
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been worried about going over there and finding out I am in with a bad crowd. Can you provide any details on your experiences and what you would do over again?

I started on Shakari's book, its an easy read with lots of information. As far as camp help is concerned, I have alot of the skills needed as I currently work maintence for beach houses, have worked in construction, have helped out at off-road 4x4 shops, and live on a farm so I have alot of experiences there. I do alot of hospitality work for tourists entering beach houses, and have even managed a hunt club handling alot of its hunters.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
Good luck. I hope you have better luck than I did. I will tell you do extensive research on anyone who says yes and go into it with no misconceptions.
Cheers,
Brian

You can try and do some extensive research about me and you will come up with very little. I can put you in touch with any and all my clients with the exception of Jack the pratt Brittingham and you are more than welcome to contact them direct as a reference.

Note I am not offering a job but a raw African experience to a young lad. There is no job description as such but I will work him hard for the privilege.

Anyone who is passionate about Africa is welcome in my camp. Any day.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Mr. Fairgame -

I was not in any way running you or your company down. I was merely telling the poster that he needed to do his homework and go into the situation with his eyes wide open. If I have offended you in any way, please accept my apology.

It is easy, for us Americans, to build up the idea of living and working in Africa to a point that we have unrealistic ideals. I am speaking from experience here. I cost myself in excess fo $3,000.00 US to learn this lesson the hard way in Zimbabwe.

All the best,

Brian

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
rhromm -

I was "sold" a raw deal. I was given many promises over the phone/on email and when I actually hit the ground, things were nothing like I was told they would be. So I tried to make the best of it, roll with the punches, etc. But in the end, the support from the outfitter just wasn't there and it wasn't going to be.

All I am telling you is that you need to be keenly aware of what you are getting into and realize that it is going to be hard, long hours, little or no pay and even less gratitude at the end of the day.

Now all of that said, I would do it all over (I would just lower my expectations). The experience was unquestionably one I will never forget and one very few people in our shoes ever get to live.

Africa is a hard place. Harder than most think.
Just keep your eyes open.

Cheers,

Brian

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
Mr. Fairgame -

I was not in any way running you or your company down. I was merely telling the poster that he needed to do his homework and go into the situation with his eyes wide open. If I have offended you in any way, please accept my apology.

It is easy, for us Americans, to build up the idea of living and working in Africa to a point that we have unrealistic ideals. I am speaking from experience here. I cist myself in excess fo $3,000.00 US to learn this lesson the hard way in Zimbabwe.

All the best,

Brian

Brian,

I was not having a dig at you mate and would like you to tell us about your experience in Zimbabwe?

This young man is seeking Africa and I am extending my hand.

If he wants to track with my trackers then he will learn something.

I suspect his needs are little more than to just sit around a smokey fire and to listen to the grunt of a Lion and to walk a sun baked river bed with a large caliber rifle as his companion.

Nothing wrong with that but what he will learn in my camp is that I take two fingers of whiskey and one of water before the sun hits the horizon.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Fairgame -

thumb

Cheers,

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I tried to email you, but it got returned. I have been unable to email you back, as I worked a 12 hour day today and am suffering from a miagrane. I will try again tomorrow. It looks like this season will be out of luck for me as I will not have a passport for another 4-6 weeks, slow government.

I am extremely interested in next season, I have from early to mid-May thru August.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andrew,

I tried to email you, but it got returned. I have been unable to email you back, as I worked a 12 hour day today and am suffering from a miagrane. I will try again tomorrow. It looks like this season will be out of luck for me as I will not have a passport for another 4-6 weeks, slow government.

I am extremely interested in next season, I have from early to mid-May thru August.

Call the US Representative for your congressional district. They can get it FAST.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andrew,

Try my wife at the American International School jbaldry@aislusaka.org but she is away for a couple of weeks, shopping.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I retried your email address deleting the direct part, let me know if you did not recieve this email.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Did do and replied to it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to say I don't think you are cut out for the role(s) to which you aspire. You seem to have a defeatist attitude, and an aversion to risk. Hunting camps require a positive attitude, the ability to improvise, and a lot of hard thankless work. There are hundreds of locals in most of these countries who line up to become "appies" .. they are committed to the lifestyle and the career and willing to make sacrifices to learn the ropes. Why would an employer hire you, when you are only available for 3 months a year ... your employer is going to want someone there for the entire season, he can't arrange his staffing around your schedule. What's more, he can't hire you legally without a lot of paperwork. What's in it for the employer? Don't think free labor, he can get plenty of almost free labor and he doesn't have to feed and water them at the clients' table. Are you willing to live in a shack, eat sadza, cook everything on a wood fire, and sleep on the ground? I suspect you see yourself sitting around the fire drinking beer with clients. Further, American clients don't want an inexperienced tracker doing their tracking for them, the locals are superb and have (this is genetic) way better eyesight than any whitey, and they know the African species and their idiosyncracies and habits. They don't get lost, don't ask me how but they have a built-in GPS. Further, you will struggle if you don't speak the local language, or know the local customs.

I suggest that instead, you volunteer your services at a medical clinic, if medicine is your calling. Or volunteer through your church, there are always church groups going over to help out with some or other project.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Just a thought;

As an Alaskan, I'd prefer for example, not to go on a guided hunt in say Arkansas for ducks with a guide from say Montana. Odds are good he/ she wouldn't know the way around as well as a native Arkansan, wouldn't know the local stories, anecdotes and lore, nor would be able to identify the local flora and fauna as accurately as a local. By the same token I'd not expect an Arkansan to be as proficient in Montana or Alaska as a native of those states respectively.

I generally avoid the non resident guide/ outfitters that migrate to Dillingham for the tourist season. On the odd occasion I do find myself within ear shot I usually get to hear some baloney about "secret hunting spots," they only know about, their mangled pronunciation of local landmark names, or my favorite, nicknames they've created for landmarks, items or procedures that are already named or identified by others that have been in, around or upon this vicinity for more than say six weeks.

A huge part of my enjoyment in Zimbabwe was the time spent listening to the native Zimbabweans. Garry Duckworth and his families history, local experiences, knowledge of flora and fauna and accent while speaking was for myself and my family intriguing.

Bluntly speaking, my wife and I are booked for an elephant hunt next year and I hope I do not run into an American outside of our lovely national borders.

Posts: 9439 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life is full of obstacles, ever heard of Nathan Askew? He is an American running what appears to be a successful PH program. I am sure everyone under the sun, including his mother told him he was not cut out for Africa.

Life is short, I have several dreams, goals, and aspirations set forth for myself. Number one is my education, for that can not be taken away from me. Number two is my farm and the construction of my farmhouse. Somewhere on this list is the opportunity to explore Africa, on hunts. I have several notes to Santa, at the top is a trip to africa, followed by a four wheeler, and next is a new shotgun. This dream was kindled at the age of four by my Godfather, who has been on multiple safaris to Africa. I have no desire to go to Africa in any way shape or form but hunting. I have accepted that I am not as good as locals, and for that I am willing to stay around the camp and work. I have a great work ethic that I am confident will one day get me on hunts.

There are many folks who have a preference to what nationality they would like to hunt with in Africa. Nathan Askew seems very well aware of this by stating "your American connection in Africa." I know several folks that would rather hunt with British than Afrikanis, and vise-versa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BE careful of FAIRGAME!!! Otherwise known as ANDY...he's a fickle one! HAHAHA...you might find yourself neck deep in the swamp!

JK! dancing

Andrew is a great guy, hell I might have to volunteer just to see Zambia...much less hunt there!

Andrew- (sidenote)
Is there a zambian professional hunters association? and if so how many members are there? do you hold any positions?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
rhromm,

Do not pay any attention to these naysayers. Many are keyboard bwanas who only get up from the computer to waddle over to the refrigerator.

You can ID them by looking at how many posts they do per day. No normal person posts their opinions on the Internet day and night.

Contact me at editorusa@africanxmag.com

I will send you the websites of every PH association in Africa. Then you can do a direct email campaign to any country you like.

Cheers,

~Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Robert

Last year we (Balla-Balla Safaris) personally guided a young chap from the USA ex; vet whom loved his trip to Zambia. He basically tripped around the farm with one of my nephews and also experienced the Victoria Falls (outdoors adventure) scene and loved it

Good luck in your pursuits, follow the dream

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to work in Africa, the International Committee of the Red Cross is always looking for a few good men.

But you won't be working tourist Africa if you get on with them. Their specialty is relief work in "disturbed areas", places tourists never see. They are truly an admirable bunch, will do a deal with the devil to get their supplies in, and if you are pre med, you might have an opportunity to get a good look at some gunshot wounds and definitely several tropical diseases.

Working with them is not for the faint of heart. They do great work. They help the helpless.

They are based in Geneva and have a website where you can apply for a position if you have the quals.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I would like to help the needs of Sudan and other countries in Africa, that is not my desire for traveling to Africa. I want to work in the bush. I would prefer to work away from "game ranches", although I think the controlled enviroment would make a great starting ground.

I am really interested in Zambia, Namibia, and Tanzinia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"As much as I would like to help the needs of Sudan and other countries in Africa, that is not my desire for traveling to Africa. I want to work in the bush. I would prefer to work away from "game ranches", although I think the controlled enviroment would make a great starting ground.

I am really interested in Zambia, Namibia, and Tanzinia"

Too many "I's" in this last post old chap. And it's Tanzania, not Tanzinia.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Too many "I's" in this last post old chap.

I think we should give this relative newcomer the benefit of the doubt. Everyone starts somewhere! He doesn't necessarily know that Sudan or other parts of the continent not traditionally associated with hunting are definitely to be characterized as "the bush". I would however advise the OP to not be choosy and go ABSOLUTELY ANYWHERE he can to do ANYTHING on the continent and THEN work into hunting. Start as an aid worker or volunteer in a refugee camp or working for an urban NGO....then get to know the right people to get out into the bush. It is a big and diverse continent that will always surprise you and provide great memories no matter what you are doing! If you truly want work in Africa, you can surely find it, you just need to be VERY flexible (in more ways than you can imagine).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As much as I would like to help the needs of Sudan and other countries in Africa, that is not my desire for traveling to Africa. I want to work in the bush. I would prefer to work away from "game ranches", although I think the controlled enviroment would make a great starting ground.

I am really interested in Zambia, Namibia, and Tanzinia.

The bush is where you will usually find the ICRC, just not in the tourist bush. The real bush, where wild-eyed individuals sporting AK's occasionally shoot holes in helpless villagers. They post volunteers in remote locations where you wouldn't want to get a slight case of appendicitis. And their work certainly isn't limited to the Sudan. I have flown for them in Angola, Somalia, the Sudan and Ethiopia. They go where the action is.

tendrams gives excellent advice. Africa is extremely diverse in topography and cultures. I would agree with him. Learn Africa as best you can in as many ways as you can. Then, go hunting.

In particular, his comment on flexibility is spot on.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A medical Intern doing volunteer work at any rural clinic in Africa willa ) get more medical experience in a year than he would in a trauma hospital stateside in a decade. b) get all the big game hunting he could wish for!

A 'gofer' comming out for 'experience' will get all the experience he could wish for....experience being defined as 'what you get when you don't get what you want' Wink

As a couple of folk have noted- there are plenty of local lads who are prepared to work long hours for little pay to get big game experience so they can get a PH license. (South Africa and plains game licenses are a bit different). The main differences between apprentices and slaves is that apprentices are expected to work harder for less and think on their feet.

I have never met a black man who was anywhere near as good as one of my San trackers...and I have never met a white man who was half as good as most of the professional black trackers in the industry.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's very disheartening to try to find work in africa. Let me restate that (find work that pays) I don't know many people who can afford to volunteer to work for free. If you don't have deep pockets you can't get work permits or get paperwork to open a business.A friend of mine tried to start and NGO that would build prosthetics and could not get it off ground due to corruption.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im in a unique situation that wont last but a few more summers, undergraudate college. I am in a position where I can either volunteer, or apprentice for a summer, maybe more depending on the economy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that most apprentices in decent big game areas are lucky to earn US$100 per month, and they get to pay for their own drinks, at least until they have a years experience, prove they can handle staff, fix water pumps, fix trucks, run the stores etc. Once they have a learners license and a degree from the university of hard knocks they might go up in pay...but not by much until they can be sent out to take a plains game hunt or two.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that in mind, and that is the reason I am saving every penny I can. College takes a chunk out of my savings, but I can go with little to no pay for atleast a summer by my calculations. I want to save enough to be able to shoot some of my own game, that was a reccommendation.

I have read shakaris book and have a general understanding of what I believe I will face. It will all change when I step foot in Africa, but I hope that my training and experience will benefit me.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had an opportunity to guide/manage/entertain at a lodge in Argentina for a summer while in law school. I did not take advantage of it because I wanted to load up on summer courses to graduate early (I didn't enroll in law school until I was 29 and needed to get out to make money). I regret not going. I could have had a great time and made incredible contacts, as most of the hunters are from Texas.

Granted, Argentina and Africa are worlds apart, literally and figuratively. I know the opportunity will never present itself to me again. You are doing the right thing by researching and evaluating your options. Good luck.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the above thoughts several times over about many aspects of my life. I had several opportunitys in life go to waste, often over girls or hunting. I am trying my best to not let this dream pass me by, I feel as though it is something I would regret the rest of my life. It is an opportunity I percieve as opening many doors in my life, and providing me many stories, which I love to enertain.

I pray I get the opportunity to join the ranks in some way shape or form of Africa. I am praying to get the opportunity with Fairgame, everything I have seen from researching him and Zambia is truely topnotch!