Find
Notify
Tools

Part of the waiting is over
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted
Last year in March I applied for firearms licences for a custom 416 Rigby and a shotgun that I got as a present from a friend that emigrated to NZ

Well the application was lost, the work done in drips and drabs and the wrong info was captured on the computer. After getting involved personally and a couple of calls to Director Bothma, things started happening.

My licences was issued this morning, after 13 months.

Now I can start building the 416R dancing

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Todd, it is a mouth full to get a firearm licensed in RSA

First you must do a course in weapon handling and the legislation on firearms. It is a very easy course. You must also do a shooting test, that determines how long your certificate will be valid. Without the shooting it is valid for 5 years, then you do the shooting and they extend it for another 5 years. Best is to do the whole lot in the beginning and have it for 10 years

Next step is to apply for your competency certificate at the SA Police services. You need the Seta certificate from step 1, complete a form, they take your fingerprints, do a criminal history check on you, have interviews with your spouse and friends and eventually issue you with a competency certificate that is valid for 5 years.

Once you got all the above you can apply for a firearm. Yoy must prove to them that you need the rifle for a specific use. You also apply for the firearm in a specific category. The category in which you apply for the firearm dictates for how long the license will be valid. They also take in cosideration your training in various areas regarding, hunting, sportshooting etc. I you own more than 4 firearms you need extra qualifications, i.e. dedicated hunter or ph.

My process started on 1 November 2005 and the licence was issued this morning. It is really a pain to get a firearms license in RSA.

Next year I must renew licences for 7 rifles.

You guys are so lucky with your 2nd ammendment.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Gratulation Jaco

The cops here are ok, depending from what part of the country you are from however.

I got some applications approved now for an 9,3, and 404 and a 6.5mm. The only thing i need now is some cash.

If you live in Oslo, they can refuse the application on an hunting rifle if you for instanse have an Sauer 200 STr target rifle in either 6,5mm or 308 "because you have one that are allowed for that purpose"

Its a bit diffence in a rifle tha tweighs 13 and 8 pounds..

The weapon offices has got an instruction from POD; the POlice directorate (our FBI) that there is to many big bore rifles, and they dont want to give out to many licenses on them.

They think its okay to borrow rifles abroad with the outfitter also....

Or an very enginous form they said is to give out an temporary license and when the hunt is over, you deliver the rifle back to the store...

Can i move to US soon.?? clap

They also want an "weapon warderobe" now for 8 weapons for an hunter and also fdor an sportshooter.

So several of my relatives are in USA, why cant i be one in some years.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
How about just going down to the gun store, and counting out the cash, make a call to the feds for a flag check, and walk out of the store, and go to the shooting range to zero it in! If you have a permit to carry a conciealed handgun, they don't even have to make the call, because, in Texas, the permit requires not only your state, but a national background check, and a course on the penal code, to get! If you've ever been convicted of a felony you are out of luck! stir jumping

Thank God for the 2nd amendment to our constitution! The right of the people to keep, and bear arm! Big Grin

Man! I feel for you guys, especially the ones in the hunting business in most countries! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mac: Sounds like those places are run by Schumer and the rest of the democraps! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote