Find
Notify
Tools

OOA Donations to SCI Chapters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
Just a heads up to SCI members who belong to local chapters. OOA, while no longer allowed to donate to SCI (National), is still offering donations to local chapters for their fundraisers. I had one emailed to me last week.

I would guess that most SCI members have no idea who OOA is or what they've been up to. If you happen to notice your local chapter offering hunts for OOA at local fundraisers, it would probably be good idea to let the Chapter President/Board of Directors know that you object to your chapter offering their services to members. When they ask why, you can get them up to date on current events.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I decided to check the SCI website under Chapter Info to understand the governance regs the parent org has placed opon the Chapters.

Even though I logged on as a member, when I attempted to link to several topics surrounding my question, here's what I got...

"This page requires a higher level of administrative permissions"

So, the process knowledge is limited to THE FEW.

Disappointing, again.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob - Just contact a Chapter President and I am sure they can answer any questions you have as to the interaction of Chapters with the Parent Organization. There is a list of all the Chapters and there contact in each issue of your Safari Times Newsletter. They are listed State by State in the Official Journal -SCI Chapters section. Hope this helps and don't be too disapointed until you make the call.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
I decided to check the SCI website under Chapter Info to understand the governance regs the parent org has placed opon the Chapters.

Even though I logged on as a member, when I attempted to link to several topics surrounding my question, here's what I got...

"This page requires a higher level of administrative permissions"

So, the process knowledge is limited to THE FEW.

Disappointing, again.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry...yes,I certainly could go direct to several chapters in my area. But I did decide to try to get the information that is clearly identified and linked on SCI's website, again after logging in as a member.

Wouldn't that frustrate you? Obviously we have a pecking order of info access.

Interesting barriers, much like private partnerships, where only the select are trusted.

Sorry, I expect more from the fraternity.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has come up before when dodgy operators have still been operating through the chapters. Generally no one seems to know why but if you let SCI know about it they generally follow up and give notice to the chapters to cease doing business with these people. A few times I have spotted blatantly illegal hunts being offered through the chapters and SCI has had them pulled immediately... just let the Chapter Services people know about it..

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone has any details of these hunts being offered I would be happy to pass the info on to SCI.

MG

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete - Just curious as to how you are privy to this info on OoA still donating to SCI Chapters? Thanks for the heads up and I am sure as Matt said, it will be dealt with.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
Just a heads up to SCI members who belong to local chapters. OOA, while no longer allowed to donate to SCI (National), is still offering donations to local chapters for their fundraisers. I had one emailed to me last week.

I would guess that most SCI members have no idea who OOA is or what they've been up to. If you happen to notice your local chapter offering hunts for OOA at local fundraisers, it would probably be good idea to let the Chapter President/Board of Directors know that you object to your chapter offering their services to members. When they ask why, you can get them up to date on current events.

Pete

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob - I don't think there is any kind of pecking order. There are some things that are best dealt with directly between SCI and their Chapters. Not everthing can and should be available to all members in the form of a public website. You can see by spending some time here on AR the number of things that get completely blown out of purportion by those who "think the know it all".

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Larry...yes,I certainly could go direct to several chapters in my area. But I did decide to try to get the information that is clearly identified and linked on SCI's website, again after logging in as a member.

Interesting barriers, much like private partnerships, where only the select are trusted.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Larry-

They offered our chapter a donation, which was of course refused.

Obviously, SCI can't stop OOA, or other unscrupulous outfitters, from offering free hunts to chapters. So it's up to each chapter to know who they're dealing with. No chapter wants to sell bad hunts to their members, but a lot of them just don't know who these operators are. The best thing you can do is let you chapter leadership know if you see them taking donations from dodgy operators. I can almost guarantee that they'll appreciate the info and act on it.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete and my Chapter Pres has been updated on your info.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
Larry-

They offered our chapter a donation, which was of course refused.

Obviously, SCI can't stop OOA, or other unscrupulous outfitters, from offering free hunts to chapters. So it's up to each chapter to know who they're dealing with. No chapter wants to sell bad hunts to their members, but a lot of them just don't know who these operators are. The best thing you can do is let you chapter leadership know if you see them taking donations from dodgy operators. I can almost guarantee that they'll appreciate the info and act on it.

Pete

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bob - I don't think there is any kind of pecking order. There are some things that are best dealt with directly between SCI and their Chapters

Yep Just like the government.

who claim that we are all equal.

But, some are more equal than others. clap

One3 better not dig any deeper into the working of SCI.

One might find something that one does not wish to find.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

One3 better not dig any deeper into the working of SCI.

One might find something that one does not wish to find.
Maybe some pixies and leprechauns?? Roll Eyes

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
yuck

OoA is like a bad rash.....

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe the National Inquirer, Dan Brown or A Current Affair might be interested??

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

OoA is like a bad rash.....
Sure is...