Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First trip
 Login/Join

posted
I'm off for my first trip to Africa this october. I purchased a trip at a Safari Club fund raiser with Jan Du Plessis, Select Safaris, in northern South Africa. The trip is for 10 days, 2 hunters 2 non-hunters, and gemsbok is included. I have not been able to make email contact with Jan in some time and would like any travel, gear, etc, advice or suggestions people might have and/or how I can get in touch with Jan.

I'm taking my mark X mauser in .375 H&H. I've used it a fair amount here in Alaska for moose and bear and thought it should be a good one rifle choice. The hunt will take place near Ellisras, South Africa.

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I hunted about 40 minutes north of Ellisras this June. I was particularly impressed with the size of the gemsbok. You should do well.

I tend to agree with the snippet you see often here:

Quote:

One planet, one rifle.

You just can't go wrong in Africa with a .375 H&H and premium bullets.

The only concern I would have (assuming you get in touch with your P.H. ) is the heat. I'd imagine you could get pretty darn warm in the afternoon.

Have a great time and save some animals in Alaska for me!

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See "tips and travel advice" on our website, follow the Safaris link from the home page.

Gemsbok are great trophies but the male is hard to distinguish from the female. Horns are thicker at base, bow outwards slightly at first, and are mostly shorter than females. The male has a thicker neck (and btw the spine is low on a Gemsbok's neck). And of course a penis sheath. They can attack when wounded.

Don't shoot a lone gemsbok. It's impossible to judge horn length as everything is in proportion. The only clues are the ring spacing (old=tight) and horn sharpness (sharp=young).

October is rather hot and humid, so be prepared with cool clothing. What works for me, being a West Coaster, is to sleep from noon to 3 or 4. Hunt at first light, before breakfast until around 10 or 11. Again in the late PM. Mozzies will be out so take your deet.

PHs are usually hunting this time of year so that's probably why you are not making contact, but don't get on the plane unless you get some response from your PH. He may have been "overtaken by events" as they say.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first trip I took a hunting knife but the skinners wouldn�t let me get close to anything with it! This year I took a Leatherman instead and it was a good thing to have around. The .375 is perfect for any hunt, I�ve taken everything from duiker to wildebeest with it and it works. Have a good trip!

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
aksmj,

Send Jan a fax or just get up early and call him on the telephone.

I enjoy hunting gemsbok, good hunting!

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote