THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Whats the ideal length, in days, for your non-DG African hunt?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the ideal length, in days, for your non-DG African hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have hunted non-DG in two African counties, each time for a week or less. I really love it and will be choosing yet another country for next summer. I cannot wait. Having said that, I don't find myself wanting/ needing to hunt for more than a week at a clip...I know I'm in the minority on this one...Just wondering where others are on this continuum?

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
As many as you can afford. I would not not want less than 8, ten is better, my budget is usually killed by then.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
joester,

I always try to get my clients to book for at least ten days or more even for PG. Ten days gives you time to relax and smell the mopane smoke. I just booked a guy in Zim for a 14 day PG hunt at his request. He'll come back relaxed, refreshed and with some nice trophies.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you can stay. Generally, longer trips result in less pressure, better trophies, and more enjoyment.

That said, due to ridiculous work and family commitments, I'm pretty much stuck with 10 day trips at this point in my life.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have never gone to Africa, but if I do, I intend to spend as much time there as possible.

Forever might not be long enough.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I've been on shorter trips, but in my experience, the flight and logistics are too much to justify anything shorter than 10 days. I think 14 is much better.

I always think I can't spare the time out of the office, and then I realize when I get back that no one was really worrying about my absence and in the long run, those 14 days there will be much more valuable to me than 14 days in the office.

Now, time away from family is another matter. I think if a person goes on shorter trips because of family, it's totally understandable. I find that a satellite phone helps me considerably with that issue.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like less than ten days...maybe if I lived in Europe so the flights weren't so long.

Our first hunt was eight days and swore I wouldn't do that again. I'm doing ten days this year, but all the other trips have been for 14-18 days.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I wish I could go for the rest of my life. Last time was a month between the photo safari, DG hunt and beach time. If I can swing it next time, I want to do a TR and spend a year hunting from one end of the continent to the other dancing. Just need to get those 5 numbers plus the bonus Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even thugh my actual hunts are a week long, I always put a few days at each end for other stuff, like getting rested time -acclimated upon arrival, and stopping somewhere on the flight home. A msterdam is fun for that. So in total my trips are 2+ weeks...

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
Even thugh my actual hunts are a week long, I always put a few days at each end for other stuff, like getting rested time -acclimated upon arrival, and stopping somewhere on the flight home. A msterdam is fun for that. So in total my trips are 2+ weeks...

I agree that scheduling extra time especially at the beginning of the safari helps to overcome jet-lag and gives any baggage problems time to be resolved. 10 days is probably adequate for a PG hunt but it depends on how much game is available and how flush your checkbook is. beer

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10 to 12 days is perfect. Enough time to take your time and enjoy the experience.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could afford it, I would spend June, July & August in Africa every year.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I agree 10 is about right. I have a group going this year and we have 9 days in camp..my wife and I went on a 7 day and it was much too rushed...I did 10 the first and came back relaxed, and had a great time...why 9 days this time...well just worked out that way...I'd say anyting over 9-10 days would be awesome, but I just dont have the extra time at this time!!!!

Frowner Have fun booking your trip!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I prefer 14 but most have been 10. Right now, I have 3 trips booked over the next 12 months. All three are for 10 days. If I can swing it, 2 will be changed to 14 days. The other already has the plane tickets purchased for so 10 it will have to remain.

The bigest issue for me on number of days is time away from work. You really need 21 days to do a 14 day hunt, considering 3 days to get to camp in Zim, and at least 2 to get home. Then a couple of days on the front to get acclimated and for luggage delays.

I did a 7 day hunt in 2007. The quality of the experience really suffers when you rush it like that.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would recommend at least 10 days, preferrably 14.

Just imagine, you have travelled half way across the world, so you really do not want to cut it short.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Hunting 10 days is plenty given the diversity of plains game in most areas I think. With a bit of luck you will have everything shot in a week or 8 days so you have left yourself a decent 2-3 day buffer for some slower days, bad weather or blown stalks. The trick is to also leave a 2-3 day sightseeing/relaxation buffer on both sides of the hunting to prep and decompress so you don't feel more stressed from vacationing than work. Given that, the whole 10 day hunt should be 14-16 days on the ground and then add another day on the front and back ends for air transit.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I did 11 days ( i miscounted the days and was stuck an extra day, oh darn Wink ).

I could have easily stayed another 3-5 days had the budget and time from work allowed it.

With the hassle and cost of airfare, permits, etc, an extra few days add very little to the overall cost.

I dont think I would even consider a 7 day trip.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've done two 7 day trips; however, the first trip over ended up being 9 days once everything was said and done.

I've recently booked another trip for 14 days specifically for some harder to get plains game like blue duiker, vaal rhebok, etc.

Having done a couple of trips, I don't think I'll ever book another 7 day trip and will likely stick with the 14 day trip henceforth.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually get in at least 12 days,, if I leave on a Friday from US I am in camp by Sunday with my first real hunting day on Monday,,which m,Tu,W,Th, Fr Sa Su Mo,Tu,W,Th,Fr then start home on Saturday and at the house early Sunday,,, which gives me 12 good days to hunt,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I've done as short as 5 days to check out a new area. Felt like I was in the air as much as on the ground. I recommend guys to book 8-10 days, depending on their work and family commitments.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
For me, after considering time off work and travel, it's 10 days. I've done 5 days hunts and only taken a week off work and it's not worth it. It's really not enough time. Seven days is far, far better than 5, but I'm gone a week and a half and why not just extend it to two weeks and hunt 10 days?

You also need to consider what you are hunting. Tracking eland for example can eat up every bit of a 10 day hunt and 7 days almost wasn't enough for my kudu.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forever might not be long enough.

Well said CHC!

So far the best I can pull off is 8 hunting days....I couldn't imagine less though. The travel is too long for less IMO.

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
nothing less than 10 hunting days plus arrival and departure days if you are after more than 3-4 species. it takes a couple of hunting days just to really get over the jet lag and get a good night's sleep.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Just a thought about guidance on length of hunting stay: If you divide the total flight costs by the number of full hunting days and the result is greater than your Daily Rate, then maybe you are staying to short!

Naturally, applying this "rule of thumb" requires that guys from USA western and northern states, like Alaska and also Canadians will have to stay longer to make their greater flight travel cost worth while! Alternatively, they can choose to support those Hunting Outfitters that charge very high Daily rates! Big Grin

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I went to RSA for 10 days last year and felt I just arrived and it was time to go. I would never go for under 10 hunting days. For PG I think 12 would be great. The more the merrier.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
I went to RSA for 10 days last year and felt I just arrived and it was time to go. I would never go for under 10 hunting days. For PG I think 12 would be great. The more the merrier.

My choice as well! 10 days is nice because you have some time to relax and enjoy the camp as well as the hunting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done everything from 10 to 21.
The last one just finished was 15 days and that is plenty. I shot five animals in two countries and was ready to come home at the end of it all.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ideally, 4 months. That way, I could spend 4 months in Africa, 4 months in Czech with Eva a d 4 months at home with family. Reality, not less than 10 days and as long as you can afford.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
I have hunted non-DG in two African counties, each time for a week or less. I really love it and will be choosing yet another country for next summer. I cannot wait. Having said that, I don't find myself wanting/ needing to hunt for more than a week at a clip...I know I'm in the minority on this one...Just wondering where others are on this continuum?

Most plains game outfitters will offer a 7 or 10 hunting day packages for $ 4000 - $6000 depending on the package and no. of animals.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote