New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa in July-species/areas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Long-time "sponge" to AR, sporadic poster. Over the next 2-3 years I have a window in July to take my boys to Africa. Due to their schedules with school and sport, July is virtually the only possible time slot to get to Africa at this stage in our lives. My question: Ruling out South Africa as well as the Big 5, what specific areas offer good conditions for specific species-mainly plains game? Looking for opportunity, not as much trophies. Warthog, kudu, impala, zebra, eland top the list. Last pre-req: looking for wild Africa. Oh yea, and on a budget.
Is my answer somewhere in Namibia? Somehwere in Bots? Somewhere in Texas? I know "budget" and Africa dont necessarily go together but that's why Im putting it out there.
Thx guys. Love reading about all your trips, tips and experience.
Blixen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most, if not all species should be available in July. Not sure what budget means ! Big Grin Hope you get a good deal, enjoy !

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save or BVC in Zim. Good pg hunting plus get to see all of the big 5.

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
I've been to Namibia twice, so it gets my vote. Beautiful country and great people.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my very limited experience, I really like the Kalahari in Botswana, preferably with Kanana if they re-open, but I know that nearby Tholo would be awesome, too.

Somebody mentioned Zim. I would really like to know more about Zim as a potential destination for budget-minded folks like myself. Can any of the ranches in Zim compete favourably with Namibia or Bots or RSA? Or do they all have really high day rates? Keen to learn more.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outside of airfare, there certainly is no better deal than Africa and the best "bang for your buck" would surely be RSA or Namibia. The U.S. Dollar is very strong right now and should continue to be for some time.
There are many "Father/Son" type pricing hunts to be had depending on your goals.
Places like Westfalen ( and certainly Tholo in Botswana) have great deals and very palatable trophy fees. Also, I wouldn't rule out things like the management hunts or animals that can give plenty of shooting opportunities for a very reduced price.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northeastern Namibia in June or July is nice. I'm trying to remember whether June or July was the coldest. One was cold, the other wasn't but had a lot of bugs, which was kind of interesting in it's own right, especially if you have young boys. I think it was July that was so cold.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim plains game is not nearly as expensive as the DG hunts.

If you want wild, expect that your chances will be less. The conservancies in Zim would likely be more wild than the fenced properties in Botswana or Namibia, and the animals there will be what is generally naturally occurring there. (Ie no gemsbok or springbok)

Last I looked the Zim PG daily rates were like $400/day.

So Zim would be doable, but I don't know if it would be optimal for you.

Talk to some Zim operators and get a quote or two, it can't hurt...

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are you ruling out South Africa?

The Eastern Cape would have some great deals.....

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Who many boys do you have and what is your budget for daily rates & trophy fees?

South Africa may be the best bet as the species you mentioned would be free ranging.

Wild and remote Africa is pricey and there are transfers to consider.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have texas on the list yet I would say south Africa would be better then a hunt there. There are place in SA that are big enough to do a great hunt. Get some prices and info from a few people in each country and see which will work best for your family. Good luck and I hope you find a place everyone should hunt Africa at least once.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Why are you ruling out South Africa?

The Eastern Cape would have some great deals.....

Thank you for the vote Blair

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have hunted both Namibia and South Africa in July, and I confirm that it will be quite cold at night and early morning in most areas. However, during the day I was fine. I have also hunted Tanzania in July and it's only a little chilly in the early morning while riding in an open vehicle (but maybe that's just me).

I have not hunted many areas in South Africa, but those who can offer "Greater Kruger" hunts (properties with unfenced boundaries to the Kruger National Park) do offer a wild africa feel to the hunt. July is a prime month for them, so reserve early.

I have hunted "wild" Africa in Burkina Faso and Tanzania, and it is better for me. But put it in perspective, any hunt in Africa will be great fun, a huge adventure, there aren't many bad ones.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Bubye Valley Conservancy. PG is abundant and you will be hunting among the big 5. Lions are seen and heard almost every day and you have a good chance of seeing a black rhino. Daily rate is $550/d 2x1. It is high fenced but with 900,000 acres with no internal fences, that's free range to me. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 or 5 PHs that are allowed to there.