Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard bullet question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
In 375 H and H how much better would a 270 grain round tip Hawk bullet be than a 300 grain A-frame - if any?

The Hawk doesn't shoot as accurately in my rifle as the A-frame but I presume that as a softer and lighter bullet it would be faster and expand quicker.

Is that worth a trade off in accuracy?

I have a lot of trust built up in A-frames and am a little reluctant to switch unless there is a lot of advantage to the Hawk bullet on leopard.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a little softer bullet on leopard than the A-Frame. The Nosler 260 gr. Accubond might be one good choice to consider.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

If you are already using the 300 gr.SAF don't mess around with another load. A second load just gives you one more thing to think about and isn't necessary. I personally have shot 3 leopards all with premium deep penetrating bullets. None of those needed a follow up. The SAF through the shoulders of the leopard will equal a dead cat.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mark has it right, IMHO. I also used a so-called "hard" bullet on my leopard. It was a 272 grain, .375 caliber Hirtenberger ABC bullet, which is very much like a TBBC or X-bullet.

I shot my leopard at 40 yards right through the shoulders. The bullet expanded very well and killed him outright. He was dead before he hit the ground.

I would not hesitate to use the 300 grain Swift A-Frame in .375 caliber on leopard.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...The Hawk doesn't shoot as accurately in my rifle as the A-frame..."

I have no practicle experience on leopard but the above quote says it all. The secret if there is one, in quickly killing any creature is hitting it in the right place. Bigger holes in the wrong place don't help.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be using 160gr Accubonds in my 7mmRemMag this August.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

I am shooting those Hornady round nose soft points...and Barnes TSX and Bridger solids...The Model 70 is shooting all of them in a tight group at 100yds..But a 7mm mushrooming to 375 diameter, I am already there...Stick with what is shooting for you..

Mike thumb

40 days till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I think I will stay with what I know shoots well - the A-frame.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
The A-frame is a great all-around bullet. I think your decision to stay with what shoots well in your gun is a wise one. You also don't need to shoot one bullet for your leopard and then plan on pulling out something different when you see a sable, buffalo, or other plains game in that it's rare for two different loads to shoot the same.
Pick one bullet you like and stick with it. By the way, here's a leopard my son shot last year.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote