New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stop me before I buy that 9.3X62!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys: I've got a perfectly fine Win M70 Classic Stainless in .375HH with a 2.5X8 VXIII on Talleys ready to go for my first upcomig safari.
I was gonna buy an -'06 with the same setup as my light rifle and be done with it...then it happened...
I went into a small shop where I've done some business for over 25 years and saw and shouldered and mulled over and kissed goodbye a CZ 550 Americian in 9.3X62 that seemed to call my name. I told the guy I'd be back after I give it some thought. O.K. time to make a decision.
Frankly, the M70 doesn't do much for me. It works, bang, go dead. But that CZ with that sloping rear receiver...oh my gosh!
All I'd need is a nice CZ 550 Amer in -'06 or more intringig a 6.5X55! Now that gets my attention.
I guess I could just be satisfied with what works...But! Tell me why I shouldn't buy that rifle! Anyone putting a 3 way safety on theirs? I look forward to your replies. The guy's waiting for me to get back with him.
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Scott, you already know what I think!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought long and hard about getting a 9.3X62 to go along with my 6.5X55. I too thought that would be a wonderful combination. I ended going American with a .338. I still wonder if I made the right choice, as the other two would make a worldly metric combination, though you'll need something a bit bigger for game that really bites. I think there's something along the lines of a 10.75X68 though...

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Everybody needs at least one (but that is probably true for the .30-06 as well...). rotflmo

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to knock your current weapon - but you crave a gun you can hang a story on, an adventure of high order, a history maker. It is hard to do that with stainless and plastic. Wood and blue hold a spell on me that says- shoot me and I will tell you a story....

You are toast, go ahead and buy it.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My observation is that you'll have more opportunities to pick up a good 30-06 later if you don't find a 9.3x62 doesn't do everything a 30-06 could do only better.

Get the 9.3 and don't look back. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

The CZ 9,3x62 is a wonderful rifle. It just plain works on game. I've used mine for feral hogs, warthogs, whitetails, impala, wildebeast, kudu, and zebra. Could not ask for better terminal perfmance.

Buy it with a smile and don't look back!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Stop you - NEVER.

If you want it, go for it and you'll never regret it as the caliber is a great one to have in your battery.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, eloquent and well said. What I like most about this site, is the kindred spirits. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have five 30-06, two 9.3s, and two 375s, everything else I only have one of.

9.3x62 is just as African as the 375.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat: You should be writing, if you are not already! You have a way with words!

SCI, NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like my 9.3x62. Its one of my "goto" hunting rifles and very shootable.

Actually, I think the 9.3x62 should be mandatory jumping

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Belarus>
posted
I heartily concur, get it before it's too late. I fought a similar dilemma with the .35 Whelen and 9.3 I ended up buying a .35 Whelen Improved. To this day I wish I had gotten the 9.3 Of course, if I had gotten the 9.3 then I still would have needed the .35.

Eric

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
After I made my 9,3x62 I never look back...
I have hunted pigs, deers, water buffalo, capybara, etc. and never let me down.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I think that it is impossible to live without a 9.3x62, I have one, but I'm thinking to buy the second......

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a 550 in 9.3x62 and 6.5x55. i don't think i'm qualified to try and stop you Big Grin

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My next 9.3x62 will either be a custom mauser or a the discontinued Sauer 202 Alaska if I can find one.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you got one - no
do you need one - yes
Ow Ow - quit twisting my arm Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy it you desreve it !! cheers

I own a cz 550 9.3x62 it's accurate the 9.3x62 is a reasonably hard hitting round and it holds 5 rounds and has a nice trigger and feeds and ejects flawlessly. I just had mine bedded and added a 2-7 leupold in warne rings.

Keep your .375 for dirty weather !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
Mine works wonderfully, is exceptionally accurate with my 250 gr TSX handloads . . . so far I've only taken 2 hogs and a whitetail doe with it, but its booked for a bit of adventure in Namibia in 2007.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
250 grain bullet, 57 grains of RL-15 or VV-N140, Lapua brass, don't look back.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I had one. It was neat. I sold it. No remorse. Fewer rifles=more hunting trips. I still have too many rifles and not enough trips.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would any of us want to stop you fron bying a 9.3X62? Sounds like a good idea to me.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
It's another gun - just buy it. You can decide later whether you need it or not.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I prefer my .376 Steyr to the 9.3X62: the Steyr cartridge is a 9.5X60 in metric terms.

Plus the rifle is only 40" long, and I get to use all those great .375" bullets out there (which are easily available too). Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
The same thing happened to me about 8 months ago - walked into a small shop and saw a Husqvarna Mauser in 9.3x62.

As you said, It called to me. I went to these forums the next day for help and info. They convinced me I was crazy for leaving without it. It is a 98 action with 24" barrel and a cracked stock(I found out later), but I was going to restock it anyway.

Yes, it called me back and came home with me. It has been the most fufilling winter project I have ever had. It now sports a new stock, trigger, and safety. The best part is that I did it all myself. It is now my favorite, after next season, we will have some stories to tell.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Riodot: Could you please share which stock, trigger and safety you mod'd your gun with?
Thanks...

SCI, NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott:

I am going to SA and Zim in late August for a buff and plains game hunt. I am taking a 470 dbl for the buff (and some plains game if it works out) along with my CZ Amer. 9.3x62 with a 1.5 x 5 Burris Safari scope. I want this combo because it's very "Africa"...and nostalgic. Will others work...absolutely, but I wanted to do this trip with "old stuff". I say go for it...the 9.3 is very versatile with 250 to 286 and beyond gr bullets and flat enough for most all shots...plenty good to at least 225 yards...and I'm practicing at 250..just in case. My CZ is been perfect so far (the 3.5 years I've owned it) and is VERY accutate with sub moa the norm. Good luck in your quandry.

Gary B.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Not to knock your current weapon - but you crave a gun you can hang a story on, an adventure of high order, a history maker. It is hard to do that with stainless and plastic. Wood and blue hold a spell on me that says- shoot me and I will tell you a story....

thumb

--------------------------------------------------------------------
These guns conjure visions…
…sun and sky and Acacia tress, thornbush and Kilimanjaro’s cloudy crown,
Elephants with a hundred pounds of ivory to a side,
Cape Buffalo glaring under wicked, double-curved horns,
a Lion’s baleful eyes through sun-bleached grass,
the Indian jungle, fresh pug marks, a creaky machan, and great striped cats in the dappled shade…
…visions of a world we never knew and of a time that cannot come again.

----Michael McIntosh
--------------------------------------------------------------------

CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 --- South Africa --- August 31, 2005

-Bob F. Smiler

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
ScottW

I installed a Timney Sportsman trigger and a Timney mauser safety. These were both jobs I had never tried before and was surprised how easy it was.

The stock I got from Richard's Microfit Gunstocks and it was a Safari Classic style. I added a Tip and Cap of African Wenge wood because I thought it would be fitting for the caliber.

Plus I inlaid some round Wenge plugs to look like crossbolts on the side of the stock. I will post some before and after photos of my project as soon as I get the scope mounted.

Thanks for asking.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I also added a 1" Decelorator pad to the stock.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
By the way...

Bob F:

That's one of the most perfect hunting/trophy photos I have EVER seen!!!!!!

Beautiful Kudu!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Buy it...

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott
There is no reason in this world why you need another gun. the 375 will do anything that the 9.3 will do and probably do it better. On top of that you paid good money for that 375 and it's hardly used. You would be better off if you used the money for a new washer or som..... OK my Wife left. Are you nuts! OF COURSE you need that rifle, you will have an enormous gap in your collection with out it. On top of that it will make a wonderful combo with your 375. You want it, what more do you need to know. Don't you know the definition of "enough hunting rifles"? Just one more. The next time the missus plays bridge get your butt over to the gun shop and purchase that sucker!

Oh what am I doing? Just exchanging recipes with the guys Dear.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
Scott
There is no reason in this world why you need another gun. the 375 will do anything that the 9.3 will do and probably do it better. On top of that you paid good money for that 375 and it's hardly used. You would be better off if you used the money for a new washer or som..... OK my Wife left. Are you nuts! OF COURSE you need that rifle, you will have an enormous gap in your collection with out it. On top of that it will make a wonderful combo with your 375. You want it, what more do you need to know. Don't you know the definition of "enough hunting rifles"? Just one more. The next time the missus plays bridge get your butt over to the gun shop and purchase that sucker!

Oh what am I doing? Just exchanging recipes with the guys Dear.

TerryR

jumping

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Sell the .375, buy the 9.3 as the animals won't be able to tell the diffence. Then go buy a CZ in .416/.404/.458 as a heavy.

gunsmile

(then go get a third CZ in 30-06, 7x57, 6.5...)

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stop you? Not a chance. I got my CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62 in summer 2002, and I think it has become my "go-to" hunting caliber. It damn sure made a lot of my other calibers superfluous. It drives tacks with both Noslers, and same story with the Eirik-designed cast 270 grain flatnose. There is NOTHING to not like about the rifle or the caliber. It has traveled with me from the Mexican border to to a few miles east of Dawson Creek.....no other firearm I've owned in my 50 years can make that claim.

When I get back the sweet-shooting 6.5 x 55 (Ruger 77R) I traded to a buddy in 1998, those two rifles/calibers will make my 30-06 into a full time paper puncher and cast bullet launcher. If that pending deal falls through, the 6.5 will come in CZ flavor.

Fortuna favorat fortis

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scot,

What animals do you plan to hunt on your trip? And where will you be hunting? How well do you shoot the .375H&H?? How many rifles do you plan on taking with you???

I have a CZ550 American in 9.3x62mm and love it, but I am not sure I would sell a M70/.375H&H to get the 9.3x62mm unless i really did not like that M70 for what ever reason..And remember that the 9.3x62mm might not be legal, depending upon what you hunting and where hence my questions..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete E:
I would plan to use the 9.3X62 as my plains game
gun. I am looking into the .416 Rigby or the .458 Lott for a dedicated buf gun. I am a novice and would not consider the 9.3 (or the .375 or .416) as a whopper stopper, however, if the opportunity arose I cannot imagine that the 9.3 with a soft in the chamber and 5 solids in the mag would not make a buf either very dead or very unwilling to fight.
I plan to shoot the 286gn Nosler Partition or the Barnes TSX.
I plan to take two rifles the first time...a 9.3X62 and my .375HH. Plainsgame hunt the first time. Plainsgame/but the second, Lord willing.
I would like to hunt Zimbabwe where, I believe the hunting tends to be more brushy than perhaps other areas where long shots are the norm. I see the 9.3X62 as a 225yd gun. I also believe in using a similar gun for the plainsgame and DG gun for familiarity sake during a stressful situation.

SCI, NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ScottW,
That is wonderful combination, but think about what you really want, then persue it. By that I mean, unless you have unlimited funds to both purchase and play with those rifles, and hunt as you wish, decide which is more important. (Personally I hope you have the money for both.) This has been discussed very much recently on this forum. In my example I am selling some guns and am saving my money to go hunting with. I narrowed my rifles down to 3;
6.5-06, 35 Whelen, 416 Rigby.
Now I hope to add my stories to all the other wonderful writings posted here. It's all a matter of priorities and once you decide, the choice will be made.
Good luck, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote