THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Mercury Recoil Suppressors - Effectiveness?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mercury Recoil Suppressors - Effectiveness?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted
I have a rifle that I am considering dropping a Mercury Recoild suppressor into the stock, but I have been unable to find any stats online that give percentages the way barrel suppressors do. Anyone have any experience with these on calibers in the .375 H&H and up range? Is it worth doing?

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have had BreaKO suppressors installed in several rifles and have been pleased with the results in all cases. Only disconcerting factor is you MAY hear a sloshing sound when the gun is shaken. I could on one. It was very effective on my 9.3x74R Chapuis double. The gun was very light and mean to shoot. The suppressor made it livable if not painless. I reccommend them if they are correctly installed in conjunction with a GOOD pad such as a Decelerator or Kick-Eez.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have used the mercury (CH?) suppressors and the Dead Mule inertial suppressors...don't have percentages on recoil reduction, but IMO the Dead Mules work a little better than the mercury filled ones and they don't slosh. Brownell's has both kinds. Mine have been used in a 458 Lott and 404 Jeff.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I have a mercury tube in my .500 Jeffery and it makes a world of difference..... Also have a tungsten bead version in the Blaser R93 that we use as a loaner and that also makes quite a reduction in felt recoil. Wink

posted Hide Post
While 'free recoil' can be measured, 'felt recoil' is subjective; drop one (or two) of the DeadMule recoil reducers in your stock, and see if it makes a significant difference for you.

What cartridge are you shooting?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I was told there is a mercury tube in my 375 (bought it used). This is the big sister of my 300 Win Mag (both synthetic stainless M70's), and in terms of felt recoil, there is less with the 375 than the 300 Winnie.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Stock design will be a big factor with felt recoil - but if you want to know if you have a mercury tube in there just shake the rifle from end to end and you should be able to feel and/or hear it sloshing about......

One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
To follow up on the original question...
Those who think the device makes a lot of difference - how much is the device and how much could be achived with the equal amount of lead shot in the stock?

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i must be made different (no necessary comments) but I took the one out of my merkel 470. I carry it lots and shoot it little, & don't like carrying the extra weight around. That plus I don't think I remember feeling any recoil when blasting away at game. If I'm at the range I can use a lead sled or a past or some form of padding.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowhound:
To follow up on the original question...
Those who think the device makes a lot of difference - how much is the device and how much could be achived with the equal amount of lead shot in the stock?

They all cost in the neighborhood of 50 bucks plus installation. Lead in the butt would slow the recoil a bit, but probably not as much as the intertial reducers do. You can read about them at:

www.brownells.com

do a search for rifle recoil reducers

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote