THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: First African Safari - PG only or also DG?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: First African Safari - PG only or also DG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Buffalo first. Plainsgame is fun but lacks the real essence of africa.

Many operators offer a full suit of plainsgame in addition to a buff on a ten day hunt. but if you only have five days go for buff.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post

My first African hunt was for Buffalo and Plains Game. We camped on the Ruvu River in the Selous where I heard my first Lion in the wild. Then there was the Elelphant wandering through camp and the Crocs in the river shocked:

I have also hunted Plains Game is SA, while the hunt was a great experience, I liken it to a ranch hunt in the States.

I am scheduled to return to the Tanzania in October 2005 for Lion and Buffalo. Not a day goes by that I do not think about that camp on the Ruvu, the sights and sounds of the Bush, and stalking Buffalo in the long grass.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This brings up a good point. A plains game hunt is a very good way to get to know your PH before you plunk down serious money and two or three weeks of your time for DG. So I would recommend picking your PH (and your rifle) with the DG hunt in mind, but going on a PG hunt with him the first year.

This also allows you to get a feel for the African bush and the hunting. It's different in a number of ways. You are hunting with two other people. The bush is thick and full of different critters. Spotting game takes a little practice, as does telling the sex of game. Plus your PH gets to know you and your capability so he won't have to worry about whether you can actually shoot that rifle when on the DG hunt, which means he will be more relaxed and give you some rope. For example, I like to walk ahead of the PH, but most won't let you do this until they trust you.

Besides, it's more fun to work up to the "hunt of a lifetime". Ever read the Khama Sutra???

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote