Tools

Confessions of a game ranger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Confessions of a game ranger

By Clare Thomas
June 7th, 2010

They're around most of the year and they witness the madness and the beauty. We managed to track down Laurence Kruger who works in Kruger National Park and he shared with us some of his experiences over the years.

Laurence is one of the guys you see dressed to the nines in his sexy khakis and sporting a rifle as he leads people, walking and learning, through the bush.

Yip, true – you can actually get out of your car in the Kruger!

But before you go jumping out of your vehicle to skedaddle up to a herd of buffalo, what we're talking about here are guided walks with a knowledgeable leader.

You can base your posse at one of the trail camps. Bateleur Camp in the north of the park comes highly recommended, says Laurence.

From here you can explore the park on foot. Interacting directly with the environment is easy as you get to know the more remote parts of the park under the watchful eye of a well-trained and rifle-bearing guide.

It’s a more rustic way of enjoying the park - that barrier between you and nature is broken down as you stargaze alongside the campfire.

In terms of walks, the best has to be, claims Laurence, the Thulamela walk in the northern part of the park.

Words he utters in relation are: amazing, baobab forests, rivers… and beyond all this, it is also a World Heritage site.

Evidence of early humans dating back 1.5 million years has been found in the area. Also found here are the tombs of an African king and Queen from the 16th century and dwellings substantial enough to house up to 2000 people - a wonderful discovery, all within the borders of our beloved park.

When asked what anecdotes from his experiences he could share with us, he reminisced over a story when he witnessed a technique to call a black rhino closer being used in Hluhluwe.

He then went on to tell me just how scary these rhinos can be as they will charge at anything, sometimes out of mere curiosity.

Why you would want to call them closer remains a mystery to me!

"Before calling the rhino, each person is instructed to pick a tree should they need to ascend in hurry and a scurry.

Done.

And so the rhino was summoned, and in he came charging. All scattered for their relevant tree. Unfortunately the scattering was not quite as it was envisioned as they all headed for the very same tree!

Four bodies were seen dangling from its’ branches with the poor sod at the bottom only a metre from the ground with a black rhino peering curiously at his butt cheeks.

Nice!

Definitely a pic to send home to ma."

But reassuringly, Laurence informs me that there are very few ‘incidents’ throughout the year.

The guides take serious pride in never having to use their weapons.
"Basically, if you have to use your weapon, there ain’t no campfire points for you my boy; it just means you ain’t doing your job right."

Some tips from our guru upon being found in the target zone of a wild animal are:

• When it comes to elephants, stand your ground. They will generally stop 10m away if they are charging. If not, toss items of clothing away from you to distract their attention
• Lions – again, stand your ground. As soon as you run, you become prey. Make yourself as big as possible and move back slowly, careful not to slip on your own fear
• "Buffalos – how fast can u climb?" asks Laurence. And if there are no trees to be found, hit the ground and roll if they come at you. The worst they can do it stamp on you but at least their beastly horns can’t spear ya!
• Leopards – if you see one on foot, you’ve probably surprised it. And basically, it’s time to start saying your sweet prayers to mama.

Take your time in the park, says our Laurence. There is so much to explore. And be patient.

Pack a picnic and enjoy the view onto a waterhole - and stay quiet.

And don’t forget about the wonderful birdlife or to appreciate the flora – from the Tall Riverine forests to the succulents that dwell on the koppies. These are all part of the equation that makes this spot so unique.

At the north of the park, you can also explore the Fever Tree, Ana Tree and the Kannie-dood Boom forests. The Mopane veld near the centre of the park is definitely an autumn treat.

Laurence drifts off into his memories of watching the deep rich red leaves dancing in the late afternoon sun...

For those interested in experiencing the park in a different light, you can volunteer to assist with research either in the biodiversity chapter, or in the birding arena.

Contact Laurence

He is also working for the Organisation of Tropical Studies and is the director of their Kruger Park Undergraduate Study Abroad Programme.

Our boy doesn’t seem to sleep, but when he does, I bet you it’s with one eye open.

You can see the love he holds for this part of our country, how his passionate words describe the magic of the bush and all it holds in its warm and wild embrace, how we are all so fortunate to be living with such magnificence surrounding us. So get out there and experience it all first hand.

Just make sure you pick a different tree from your buddy!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We stayed at three of the bush camps lastyear and I think Bateleur was my favorite. Nice accomadations and plenty of game to see. I have one picture by the water with 3 of the big 5; elephant, buffalo and lepoard.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My comments are interlineated:

quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Confessions of a game ranger.

Some tips from our guru upon being found in the target zone of a wild animal are:

• When it comes to elephants, stand your ground. They will generally stop 10m away if they are charging. If not, toss items of clothing away from you to distract their attention. [Why? So you can die naked?]
• Lions – again, stand your ground. As soon as you run, you become prey. Make yourself as big as possible and move back slowly, careful not to slip on your own fear. [News Flash: You don't have to run to become prey; you were born that way.]
• "Buffalos – how fast can u climb?" asks Laurence. And if there are no trees to be found, hit the ground and roll if they come at you. The worst they can do it stamp on you but at least their beastly horns can’t spear ya![Hit the ground and roll? Why do all the work? If the buff is going to kill you, at least make him work for it.]
• Leopards – if you see one on foot, you’ve probably surprised it. And basically, it’s time to start saying your sweet prayers to mama. [Why not toss items of clothing away from you; stand your ground; make yourself as big as possible; climb a tree; and then hit the ground and roll? That would definitely surprise a leopard.]

Here's a thought: Carry a rifle. Big Grin Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote