Notify
Tools

Nyakasanga - JPK???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
quote:
The trophy fee isn't too bad, I paid a lot more in the Zim auctions for each of two bulls in Nyakasanga in May, not including the camp, which is seperate, ie extra.

Daily rate is very reasonable as well.

JPK
I didn't want to dilute MHY's Caprivi ele bull offer on that other thread....but am I reading this right - you are hunting TWO bulls in Nyakasanga in TWO months?!?!?! shocker

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That one piqued my interest too. Confused

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BillC,

Through Roger Whittall and Richard Tabor I have bought a camp for the first two weeks of May. If I had the time I would have tried for the camp two consecutive two week periods, but I can't swing the time away from the office and the $'s were getting steep anyway.

I have the following quota purchased at auction:
2x Elephant Bulls
1x Tuskless
1x Hippo Bull
1x Leopard
1x Bushbuck
1x Hyhena

The following came with the camp:
1x female Waterbuck
4x Impala ewes
4x Impala rams
1x male Duiker
1x male Grysbok
1x Hyhena
1x Serval
4x Baboon
3x Guinea Fowl
3x Doves/Pidgeons
4x Francolin

A cape buff bull also came with the camp, but it went to Roger for acting as my agent and for support for the camp. I understand that Roger will have one of his PH's hunt for and shoot the buff bull for a promo video. I've volunteered to do the hunting and shooting for the buff, but I think Roger believes that Rich and I have a full plate and might not have time. He may be right!

Fourteen days of hunting with a day in front and behind to set and then break camp.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Sounds like a great time is ahead for you!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I envy you. Buzz and I were picking up our game scout at Marongora and there was a South African and his son checking in after their hunt in Nyakasanga. They had a beautiful elephant bull about 65 pounds very symmetrical. I think Buzz was a little scared that I might get the idea that the bulls in Makuti went that big.

Good luck.

Mike

Posts: 21645 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a terrific safari! You will definitely have your hands full!

You are focusing on the elephant, leopard (and bait for same) and hippo, right?

If I may, I would suggest holding out for an old bull hippo on land. It is one of the more exciting DG hunting experiences, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
What a terrific safari! You will definitely have your hands full!

You are focusing on the elephant, leopard (and bait for same) and hippo, right?

If I may, I would suggest holding out for an old bull hippo on land. It is one of the more exciting DG hunting experiences, IMHO.

MR,

I'm really looking forward to it!

We are planninng for and hoping for that old bull hippo on land, at fist light I understand, as we intercept him on his way back home.

The bull eles will be the primary focus, at least the first one. We will work in the leopard and the hippo. The tuskless is just incase we get lucky and end up with two bulls before the end of the hunt. Got to have a reason to find tracks and go walking!

I like bushbuck hunting, taking a slow walk and stalk along a river and so we got one, again in case we find the time.

My kids were intrigued by the hyhena skull I brough back a while ago, but the skin didn't work out so we'll try for two. I like getting to a bait and watching, listening to the bush come to life as dawn approaches.

Some thing may have to be put on a back burner if we struggle for the eles. But I hate "relaxing" so a good stenuous hunt where running out of quota isn't going to happen. No Sat phone either.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No SAT phone? clap

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
No SAT phone? clap

465H&H

465H&H,

A significant business transaction ended up nearly cuasing me to cancel my last hunt, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to go until three days before the hunt. A breakthrough in negotiations made it possible but I had to take a SAT phone and worse, had to use it daily for three or four hours. 6:00pm Zim = 12:00 noon EDT. While having a SAT phone made the hunt possible, it was a real drag.

So no damned SAT phone.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
am i missing something here? it seems that part of this thread must be under another topic. the initial quote by Bill C must refer to another thread somewhere. maybe my computer is just messed up.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I envy you. Buzz and I were picking up our game scout at Marongora and there was a South African and his son checking in after their hunt in Nyakasanga. They had a beautiful elephant bull about 65 pounds very symmetrical. I think Buzz was a little scared that I might get the idea that the bulls in Makuti went that big.

Good luck.

Mike,

Thanks for the "good luck."

When did you run into the fortunate Soth African?

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In September 2007. Buzz tried to convince me to try and pick up one of the Nyakasanga hunts at auction because he believes the area is a great area to hunt.

Mike

Posts: 21645 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow sounds like a super hunt. Often wondered about the auctions and how one would fare in them... two ele bulls though? Impressive!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Nyakasanga is the old hunting grounds of Ian Nychens when the area had the flood swamps.
Have heard its a good spot in particularly for Lion.
Good show mate!
I wish I could share in the fees and join you there. Frowner

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Tell us more about how that process works? Congrats on what sounds like an excellent memory in the making!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
JPK,

Nyakasanga is a potentially great area for big bulls wandering out of the park. Seems a few honkers are always taken there every year. I hope you get one of the biggins.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I envy you. Buzz and I were picking up our game scout at Marongora and there was a South African and his son checking in after their hunt in Nyakasanga. They had a beautiful elephant bull about 65 pounds very symmetrical.
Good luck.

I had the same experience with Buzz. We saw a set of 65-pounders a few years ago that the guy was weighing and stamping. From Nyakasanga. They were absolutely beautiful.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
JPK

Good luck with your hunt. It sounds like it is going to be a very exciting one.

I have done some filming in Nyakasanga with Guy Whittall and Roger. Its an amazing area and i would love to go back there sometime.

You will have a great hunt with Richard Tabor. He is a hell of a nice guy. I would like to hunt with him again.

He took a great Ele there last year with a client. Its on Rogers website.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK!

Sounds like a real kick ass hunt. You'll get to hunt some famous areas. Good Luck!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote