Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate African Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
I may be in a position, in 2007, to conduct my 'ultimate' African safari. This will be a major trip spanning several months (at least) and covering several countries and a host of target animals.

I already have some ideas of what this trip will entail but I thought that I would throw it open to the forum and see what ideas you guys would have for the ultimate safari - this could be a lot of fun and I am hoping to get some more ideas (then I just have to hope that I can turn that phrase 'I may be in a position' in the first sentence into 'I will'!)

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Ethiopia, Mt. Nyala and all the other unique species available there. That's where I would start.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´d start off with a classic 21 day hunt for buff, ele, lion and leopard. Then I´d rest for a week or so and go for sitatunga or bongo. Ethiopia sounds like a great idea. Jungle hunting in Benin? Giant forest hog?

While I´m at it I´d through in some deep sea fishing.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, you'll definitly need a back up shooter for such a long and tiring safari! I humbly volunteer. Big Grin

Heck, If you can spring it start in western and central Africa and get a good collection going on animals available only there. Then swing through Tanzania, keep going south and enjoy the environments of Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Finish up for endemic species limited to South Africa for a conclusion.

Such a hunt should be more than just animal species but also the varied terrain they are found in. Also to spend time learning about the people who live in these areas, like for instance, the Bushmen, and make it a total life experience as well.

Then when you are done, write a book.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaBob:
I may be in a position, in 2007, to conduct my 'ultimate' African safari. This will be a major trip spanning several months (at least) and covering several countries and a host of target animals.

I already have some ideas of what this trip will entail but I thought that I would throw it open to the forum and see what ideas you guys would have for the ultimate safari - this could be a lot of fun and I am hoping to get some more ideas (then I just have to hope that I can turn that phrase 'I may be in a position' in the first sentence into 'I will'!)

I would book the following, starting in February:

1. sheep hunt in Chad
2. 21 day safari in Cameroon for forest animals
3. 21 day safari in CAR for forest animals
4. 21 day safari in CAR for Lord Derby eland
5. 30 day safari in Mozambique for elephant near Nyassa Park
6. 21 day safari in Ethiopia for Mt. Nyala, etc.
7. 21 day safari in Botswana for elephant and all the rest
8. 21 day safari in Zim for elephant and all the rest
9. 21 day safari in Tanzania/Masailand for lion
another 21 day safari in Tanzania in another concession in case the first one did not work out
10. moose hunt in Alaska
11. trophy elk hunt in Montana
12. deer hunt in Alberta
13. deer hunt in Texas
14. deer hunt in Mexico
15. polar bear, musk ox and walrus hunt in the far north
16. water buffalo/scrub bull/donkey/camel/kangaroo hunt in Australia
17. Go to #1 and repeat.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need to win the Powerball to do that. But I can dream.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should be fun.
If you have never been to Africa I would start in a country that you will be successful in and have a great safari without spoiling you or the opposite a difficult country that will leave you feeling that Africa is not what you expected.
So here is how I would do it. Start with zimbabwe. Just came from there it is safe dispite what you hear. I would hunt all the plains game and Buffalo. Buffalo should be the first dangerous game animal to tackle. Dont start with Leopard very time consuming and not much hunting goes on whist trying to put a hole in spots. Spend 18 days this will be plenty.

Next Botswana this country is for Elephant and Lion you will see hundreds of bulls and Lions in this country have not been hunted in several years their manes are some of the best and you will be successful best lion country in Africa. You will shot a 50+ pound Elephant here and get to do a lot of looking.
might as well shoot another buffalo,and try for a Sittatunga spend 18 days.

Next Central African Republic, this hunt will require 30 days to do Lord Derby Eland and Bongo. Be sure to shoot a Western greater Kudu as is is one of the only places to get one. You will want to shoot a numerous buffalo here Dwarf forest and savanna buffalo one of each color for sure.

Next up to Chad for Barbary sheep or Aoudad sheep in the Mountains. Very unique hunt completely diffferent from any terrain you will see again in Africa. There are some species of antelope that you cannot get anywhere else so be sure to shoot them here, this is your last chance for a Western Greater Kudu.

Next Etheopia, this will take 30 days. Mountain Nyala is the main goal here. Mountain hunting, fantastic. After you get the Nyala spend some time in the Danakil for antelopes the hunting here is great with many different species. If you could secure an elephant permit in the forest spend another 20 days here. I dont konw if permits are available here any longer, as it is off and on but there is a possibility of taking a huge bull and not to mention hunting ellies in this forest is one of Africas greatest experiences.

Tanzania, spend 30 days for Leopard, Lion and as many buffalo as you can shoot. Start with the Leopard. Once you get him down try for another Lion if it suits you, if not shoot buffalo and plains game, more buffalo and then shoot another buffalo and enjoy the greatest hunting field left in africa. You will want to hunt in Massiland and the Selous reserve both as they are vastly different.

Now on to Mozambique. This is for Big ellies. There has been some great tuskers come from here in recent years. While you are here shoot another buffalo. Spend 16 days, if you are a fisherman spend 2-3 days Marlin fishing of the coast for granders.

Next Namibia, Main attraction here is Gemsbok and a few other antelopes. spend 10 days.

Finish up with Zambia. While you are here you must go to Bangwealu swamp for Lechwe. Also if you did not get a Sittatunga in Botswana try for one here. Soot a Sable here as they have great Sable. There is pleny of plains game and dont forget to shoot another buffalo.

If it was my money thats how I would do it. If you need someone to help you out with any of the trigger pulling or to be a considerate hunting partner for the entire trip I am sure I could find the time.
Whatever you do live it up breathe it in and hold your breath as the sights, sounds, scents never stay with you long enough, when you leave The most fantastic game land on this earth.

P.S Be sure to shoot another buffalo!!!!!!

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
would book the following, starting in February:

1. sheep hunt in Chad
another 21 day safari in Tanzania in another concession in case the first one did not work out
10. moose hunt in Alaska
12. deer hunt in Alberta
13. deer hunt in Texas
14. deer hunt in Mexico
15. water buffalo/scrub
16. bull/donkey/camel/kangaroo hunt in Australia
17. Go to #1 and repeat.

WOW! You have put some thought into this 500! It looks to me like you have the timing down just right!

I'd change a couple things...like including a Marco Polo or Gobi Argali, Ibex, etc, and spending less time in the fall on elk and deer and more time on NA sheep.

Ahh to dream. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BwanaBob

It would depend on what African experience you have. There would be no object in booking a best buffalo area if you already had a couple of Boomers or an elephant hunt if you had a 80 pounder. Well maybe an elephant. So I guess my list would be my personal preference.

Each of these hunts would be for whatever duration was necessary for success.

Bongo and other forest animals Cameroon

Lord Derby Eland and savvanah species Cameroon

Mt. Nyala and available species Ethiopia

An elephant over 75 lb. Botswana

A monster lion Tanzania

A white rhino on the Mkuze reserve RSA

All those tiny little guys that you put aside early on but now wish you had shot. Suni, red duiker, grybok, oribi, klipspringer etc.

A really nice sitatunga and sable Zambia

Some of this wish list has come true and some will come true but I fear I will run out of money and time before I can complete it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I like your thinking. I would pass on the Texas whitetail and the Montana elk and head to the Far East with you.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone once told me that I shouldn't be trying to figure out what I could afford given my current lifestyle/income, but that I should map out what I would like out of life and then do what it takes to make that happen....

I'd be very happy with a Botswana elephant, and some Tanzania buffalo, and all the incidentals that come with that, do a stint in Cameroon for forest buff and elephant, but then I'd quickly leave the continent and join Canuck and dogcat for Marco Polo and various other Asian mountain dwellers. To get in shape for that I'd first try to do the American slam of sheep in one season: dall and stone seasons start pretty early, I'd be back in time to hunt for another bighorn in my home province and then head south for desert sheep.

The only thing I need to figure out is... how to make this happen. I'm guessing my first step would be to quit my job, which at the moment would suit me just fine...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Dream trip:

Start in Namibia for southern greater kudu, eland, gemsbok.
RSA bushbuck, nyala, and cape kudu.
Zim for buff and sable.
Zambia: sitatunga and another buff.
Cameroon for bongo and a forest sitatunga.
CAR Lord Derby Eland.
Tanzania for buffalo, lesser kudu, fringe eared oryx, and throw in an East African greater kudu.
Finally to Ethiopia for a mountain nyala, and another lesser kudu.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
ULTIMATE SAFARI:

1. Start out in South Africa for a few weeks, warming up on some of the premium plains game (Nyala, Waterbuck, Suni, Bontebok, Springbok color phase trio, etc...) and a White Rhino.

2. Move on to Namibia for a Black Rhino and some of the more traditional Namibian trophies (Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Mtn. Zebra, etc...) then go to the Caprivi Stip for some Buffalo/Lion/Leopard hunting.

3. Then it's time to go to the Okavongo in Botswana for Red Lechwe and Sitatunga. Then to Tuli Block for Elephant.

4. Now time for Cameroon Forest for Bongo, Forest Sitatunga, Yellow Back Duiker, Forest Elephant, etc...

5. Then C.A.R. for Lord Derby Eland and savanah species (Sing Sing Waterbuck, Roan, Korrigum, Western Hartebeest, Duikers, etc...)

6. Now, we'll cut across to Zambia for Sable, Kafue Lechwe, Black Lechwe, Puku, Tsessebe, Sitatunga, etc...

7. Getting towards the end, go to Tanzania on 2 separate full bag 28 day safaris: one in the Selous and another in Masailand. (Time to collect some more Buffalo and a nice Lion along with all the special plains game)

8. Now, you can finish off in Ethiopia for a 28 day full bag hunt for Mtn. Nyala and all the isolated plains game species.

WHAT A TRIP!!! Probably only run you a few $MILLION!!! Right? Pocket change!!! Maybe I'll get there some day, still got plenty of time (only 17 years old). Nothing wrong with dreaming, right?

I sure would like to see the trophy room after a trip like that!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
What a dream,

I agree with 500gr's list.

Note the species in Cameroon and the CAR are the same, excepted the ele (fairly small) is possible in the Cameroon.

ADD

ORYX GEMSBOCK in the Namib desert

SABLE as close as possible of Angola so as to corner a Giant Sable (not possible because the Angolian Sable is in the N-West along the ocean and Congo)

In Botswana, first the OKAVONGO SWAMPS for the scenery.

MONGOLIA, CHINA seladangand a couple of LAND.....STANs for rare sheeps and goats.
Maral, Ibex, Argali, MarcoPolo, Markhor,Urial, Tur, Bezoard, Bharal, Saiga, Takin, Thar

KAMTCHATKA seladangfor a BROWN BEAR? for You used the Alaska for Moose only.

NEW CALEDONIA for a record Rusa deer

Cool Good luck

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaBob:

I would book the following, starting in February:

1. sheep hunt in Chad
10. moose hunt in Alaska
12. deer hunt in Alberta
13. deer hunt in Texas
14. deer hunt in Mexico
15. polar bear, musk ox and walrus hunt in the far north
16. water buffalo/scrub bull/donkey/camel/kangaroo hunt in Australia
17. Go to #1 and repeat.

Your onto it but I would change 11, 12, 13, and 14. To be

Stone sheep, Dall sheep, desert bighorn, grizz, Kamchatka brown bear, High Altai argali, Transcaspian Urial, Pakistan 3 urial hunt, Mid Asian Ibex, Marco Polo Argali, and Red stags during the rug in Hungary, and elk on the white mountain, and mulies in the Mescalaro Appache..

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Make that red stags during the rut. I am fat fingered.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Well, you'll definitly need a back up shooter for such a long and tiring safari! I humbly volunteer.QUOTE]

Ann,

but of course and it is a given that you are invited .........we might actually get to hunt together, at last!

(Actually, I am still thinking about that bear hunt and will be making a decision on it in the next couple of weeks).

To all of the other posters, thanks there are some good ideas in your suggestions and I am thinking about including some in my plans.....

....then I just have to turn the plans into reality.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Why not buy a concession in Zimbabwe or Cameroon at auction, build a couple of grass huts and live native until you have hunted the quota out.

Eat lots of nyama and trade some for maize from time to time.

Invite Ann and other friends to your guest chalet (grass hovel) from time to time so you don't get too bored. They have to bring the alcohol as payment.

At this point I started to get silly so deleted it.

quote:
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money"

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Ethiopía (Mt Nyala and lesser kudu)
Botswana (ele)
Tanzania (buff, leopard, lion, sable and grants)
CAR (Lord Derby eland and forest buffalo)
Namibia (all the rest plainsgame)

After that I can give up hunting, I will retire to a wooden cabin in la Patagonia and spend the rest of my life flyfishing for brownies.....
obviously using dry flies only Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ann,

but of course and it is a given that you are invited .........we might actually get to hunt together, at last!

(Actually, I am still thinking about that bear hunt and will be making a decision on it in the next couple of weeks).

To all of the other posters, thanks there are some good ideas in your suggestions and I am thinking about including some in my plans.....

....then I just have to turn the plans into reality.

Robert,

You are my hero! thumb

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote