THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    For South African hunters: Temporary Firearm Export Permit

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For South African hunters: Temporary Firearm Export Permit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the time frame for the issue of a TEMPORARY FIREARM EXPORT PERMIT three months? Really that long??? What are your experiences? I want to take a rifle to Zimbabwe but now I fear I might not get it in time.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are only transiting South Africa you will only need a transit permit, contact Air2000, rifle permits.com or PHASA all offer this service and can handle it for you very quickly. Not terribly expensive either.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
If you are only transiting South Africa you will only need a transit permit, contact Air2000, rifle permits.com or PHASA all offer this service and can handle it for you very quickly. Not terribly expensive either.

Maybe you missed the words: South African hunters. I‘m from SA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will only take as long as your DFO takes to get the documents processed. I hunt in Zim twice a year and have had the process take between a week and a month - it all depends how often the DFO travels to the central station.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ma Baker:
It will only take as long as your DFO takes to get the documents processed. I hunt in Zim twice a year and have had the process take between a week and a month - it all depends how often the DFO travels to the central station.

Some years ago it took only 14 days in order to get the permit. The DFO had even told me not to come into his office too early. Well, a year later I went to his office three weeks before the date of departure.
DFO said: Now it takes four weeks, in the past we could issue the permit at the police station but now the application has to go to Pretoria!

Of course the permit didn’t arrive in time and I had to cancel the buffalo hunt.

Three weeks ago I handed in another application. DFO: Now the time frame is three months!!! Oh sh..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, missed that part. I bet PHASA can give guidance.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Sunshine,

Zimbabwe Visitors certificate to possess firearms and ammunition Form No. 20 is submitted on arrival.

ZIMBABWE REVENUE AUTHORITY CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
VISITOR’S CERTIFICATE
TO POSSESS FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
Surname/Family name________________________________________________ (block letters)
Christian/Other names_________________________________________________ Date of birth____________________Occupation____________________________ Home address________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________ Contact address________________________________________________________ (in Zimbabwe)
Passport number________________Place of issue__________Date of issue_______
Description of Firearms and Ammunition Manufacturer’s Number of
Type Caliber Make number rounds _________ ___________ ______________ ___________________ _____________ _________ ___________ ______________ ___________________ _____________ _________ ___________ ______________ ___________________ _____________
Declaration and undertaking
I hereby declare that I am a bona fide visitor to Zimbabwe and that I am in possession of the
above-mentioned firearm(s) and ammunition. Furthermore, I undertake to remove the firearm(s) from Zimbabwe on or before the date of expiry of the certificate and not to dispose of it /therein without prior Customs authority in writing.
Date________________ ____________________________________
(Signature of visitor)
This certificate is issued in terms of subsection (11b) of section 8 of the Firearms Act
(Chapter 10:09) and authorizes the abovementioned to possess the firearm(s) and ammunition described above without holding a firearm certificate.
This certificate expires on_____________but may be extended by the Controller of Firearms P.O. Box 8154 Causeway provided that if the period involved extends beyond 90 days from the date of issue the additional support in writing of the Department of Customs and Excise is required.
Deposit of $__________taken vide deposit receipt No_________ date______at____________
____________________________________________ Customs officer
NOTE: TCuhisstofomrms is to be completed in triplicate. Original to be handed to the visitor, first copy to be sent to the Controller of Firearms and the second copy to be held at the Customs Post.
Stamp
Date Stamp
THIS CERTIFICATE (ORIGINAL) MUST BE SURRENDERED TO A CUSTOMS OFFICER WHEN YOU LEAVE ZIMBABWE A/02
CEF: 094 DIVISION: CUSTOMS AND EXCISE ISSUE NO: 1 VERSION NO: 1 DATE OF ISSUE: PAGE 1 OF 1

All that I have done in the past is fill out the Application for a temporary firearm import permit (make 4 completed copies) list your firearm and number of rounds (A maximum of 100 rounds per firearm) you have in your luggage.

They Collect the money when they check the permit. They inspect your rifle to match the serial number and then they counted one box of ammo. As I told them the other box had the same number of shells.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you but it has nothing to do with Zimbabwe itself, I’m talking about the SAPS EXPORT PERMIT. Only want to know how long it other hunters took in order to receive the permit.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Have seen SA hunters getting temp export permits in the SAPS
office in ORT in the past on more than one occasion. Don’t know if that is an option ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Have seen SA hunters getting temp export permits in the SAPS
office in ORT in the past on more than one occasion. Don’t know if that is an option ?

Used to be able to get an export permit from the port of exit . But that changed two years ago now CFR needs to issue it .

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sunshine CFR is in shambles I know of a lot of hunters who struggled to get tem export permit or not get it at all.

One person I know needs to send his Krieghoff 500NE back to Germany for repairs its now been over a year wait.
Even with permanent export permits for guys who immigrated to Aus or NZ nothing coming out.

If you are lucky and have a proper DFO helping you and chekcing up on the appl now and again it should work. But normally as soon as they passed those docs to CFR they just don't care anymore.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
Is the time frame for the issue of a TEMPORARY FIREARM EXPORT PERMIT three months? Really that long??? What are your experiences? I want to take a rifle to Zimbabwe but now I fear I might not get it in time.

Mine get done at provincial level. I hand the docs over to the DFO, he takes on his next visit to the provincial office. It usually gets processed the day he Is at province. I fly out often with guns. Never takes more than 7 days.

Also, double check your export permit when you receive it, I indicated I am taking 375 H&H ammo. They gave me a permit for 357 Ammo.

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky you. I have already missed a buffalo hunt because the permit wasn’t issued in time. All applications go to Pretoria, that’s why it takes now up to three months and more. Confirmed by Air2000.