New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tag Safari Pants
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ordered a pair of Tag convertible safari pants to try them on for size. They fit great and are comfortable, but they are very light weight. Does anyone have any field experience with these pants?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not with convertible pants but with the regular lightweight cotton pants. Are you worried that the material is too lightweight?

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Not with convertible pants but with the regular lightweight cotton pants. Are you worried that the material is too lightweight?

Yes, how did they hold up for you?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as the material goes they held up fine. Aesthetically once I washed them they faded considerably and always looked wrinkled. But if you are in the bush who cares.

I can't stand to wear shorts in the bush and I hunt in September so it usually pretty warm. These pants are fine for me. I prefer Filson safari cloth but since Filson went full hipster they don't make half the stuff I liked. The other half is now ridiculously expensive.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Columbia used to make a great pair, but stopped at some point. I still have two pairs that I bought back in 2006, but they’re pretty worn after years of use.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
I have worn Tag Safari clothing (ie - shirts, pants, jackets, belts, gaiters, etc.) during most of my hunts in Zimbabwe. Their clothing is comfortable and manufactured in Zimbabwe using locally sourced labor and materials (vs. manufactured in China).

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Tag Shirts & Pants clothing on safaris.

The shirts. While light weight, the neck sizing is very small, so usually the top 2 buttons were not fastened. Walking in the bush, they would tear easily when snaged on a thorn. The camp laundry made repairs. i usually left the shirts in camp when i was finished. Also the seams were starting to frey after a few washes, i usually wore them a few times before i went on safari and my wife made some repairs for me.

The pants. While light weight, did not hold up as well as wranglers pants (i take black). And after a few days just wore the wranglers.

The months that I have been over to africa in April, June, August, September & November. so from very warm to chilly.

If you are concerned about the light weight, you can always add an under shirt. it works.

I will be over in May/June this year and will be taking canvas chirts & wrangler pants. I plan to put in a set of insulated tops & bottoms.

It snowed on me last time and i was colder than anticipated.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Namibia destroyed my TAG Safari and Cabelas stuff.

Next trip will be with plain old jeans.

I have tactical pants from a lot of different outfits, none of them are really suitable either.

Maybe some rip stop? Maybe?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
For safari pants, you can’t beat Carhartts. I buy them off eBay, often used. They’re made in the USA and tougher than a $2.00 steak. For shirts I pack Cabella’s Serenghetti Safari shirts in tan or light green. They’re 100% cotton, and have a zipper chest pocket that perfectly holds a US passport securely. I pack two of each in my Red Oxx carryon and wear a third pair and that lasts me two weeks in Namibia.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for shirts I wear Columbia bonehead fishing shirts (light weight and comfortable in the heat) and Tag shorts. Both have fared OK and are good in the heat. Cabelas Serengeti shirts are also good.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Cabela's Serenghetti shirts as the two hidden zipper pockets hold my small cameral and passport in zip lock bags leaving the external pockets for other items. Also I find the 4 bullet loops in the left breast pocket are much quicker for reloading my double that ones on the belt.

The heavy cotton has held up well on 4 safaris with only a few thorn nicks.

Unfortunately, the last I checked Cabella no longer listed these shirts. Hopefully they will com back again.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
For safari pants, you can’t beat Carhartts. I buy them off eBay, often used. They’re made in the USA and tougher than a $2.00 steak. For shirts I pack Cabella’s Serenghetti Safari shirts in tan or light green. They’re 100% cotton, and have a zipper chest pocket that perfectly holds a US passport securely. I pack two of each in my Red Oxx carryon and wear a third pair and that lasts me two weeks in Namibia.

Exactly how I roll!

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in TAG pants and shirts for years. Still like the shirts, but after a pair of pants literally shredded while I was scooting over some granite and I finished the afternoon essentially pantsless, I switched to Carharts pants. Still use TAG shirts, but resew all the buttons before you leave.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I hunted in TAG pants and shirts for years. Still like the shirts, but after a pair of pants literally shredded while I was scooting over some granite and I finished the afternoon essentially pantsless, I switched to Carharts pants. Still use TAG shirts, but resew all the buttons before you leave.

I tried the shirts several years ago, but didn’t like them or their durability. It sounds like the pants are of similar quality. I think I’ll keep looking for a better product.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Try Tru-Spec, they are Gunny approved.

My favorite tactical pants, and unlike 5.11 and a cheap motel they actually have ballroom.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:

Exactly how I roll!

Carhartts have cargo pockets in the front, which is nice. The ones I buy at Academy are listed as work pants, not safari pants, but they work well.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Try Tru-Spec, they are Gunny approved.

My favorite tactical pants, and unlike 5.11 and a cheap motel they actually have ballroom.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I have worn these on multiple trips. Cotton with zip-off legs, lots of pockets and only $40.00 a pair :-)

https://www.basspro.com/shop/e...ip-off-pants-for-men

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote: