THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Single rifle 375H&H bullet selection for DG/PG

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Single rifle 375H&H bullet selection for DG/PG
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
RHS:

You mention "long range plans". How "long range"? Do they include practicing with a 375 H&H (using 300 gr. loads)so that you can put your shots in a 6" circle, offhand, at 50 yards to go for buff? {leopard is a set shot from a blind and the only thing you have to worry about is that you don't let the leopard hear you) What I'm getting at is, don't pay so much attention to bullet types and loadings. Bullet placement is still the name of the game and the buff won't be impressed by your superb combination of powders and bullets that achieved such remarkable groups at 100 yards on the range. It's how you can shoot standing on your hind legs that matters. (BTW, I used an off the shelf rifle {Ruger,375 H&H} and factory ammo {Federal, 300 gr. solids and a follow up insurance shot with an SP)to take a buff.He was good enough to land in the SCI record book,too)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald,

It will be few years and yes that new rifle and I will be old friends before I pack it for the 20-hour sore-ass-flight...and I agree regarding factory rifles, but I have always wanted a decent custom...

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple hundred 300 grain softpoint, Weatherby 375 H&H rounds around here. Anyone know what kind of bullet Weatherby used?

h375h300rn/19518 It's 300 grain round nose.

Weatherby guarantees a 1 1/2" 3 shot, 100 yard group, using their ammunition, and rifle.

Might be a nice combination, if you could find a used Weatherby 375 Weatherby, or 375 H&H. IIUC, you can use the H&H rounds in the slightly larger Weatherby chamber, for a couple hundred extra feet per second.

One question: If you want this for plains game, why use the short barrel you specified?

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth the 270gr Failsafes (no 300s available in NZ) have expanded perfectly on a number of impala at both long and medium range, and also done a superb job on wildebest and zebra. For buff I used the GS custom flatnose and Woodleigh solids, ditto.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the insight of experience. You have given me some very good information to think about regarding bullet selection. I enjoy the simplicity of one rifle and the 375H&H is an obvious choice. Now it's time to start picking up the parts for that rifle...

Socrates,

I had a Ruger M77 Compact with a 16.5" barrel that had been rechambered from 308 Win. to 300WSM by the original owner. Got it used for a song and found it had also been pillar bedded and an easy MOA rifle. Took it on my first PG safari with great success and found the carbine length very easy to carry in the bush where the local flora reaches out and grabs things out of your hands.

I don't see the benefit of an extra 2" or 3" on a barrel if they are not necessary. My son's Ruger M77 Mark II has a 21" tube and was good for 6 PG animals with 8 rounds, two were taken at 275 & 280 yards in June. My custom 375H&H will most likely have a 22" medium taper barrel with a barrel band front sight.

Bottomline, just my experience and personal preference.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
RHS,

I have used a 22 1/2 inch barrel 375 Improved since 1978. I dont miss those extra inches. The barrel diameter is same as a pre-64 winchester 30-06 target barrel and it balances, shoulders, aims and fires quickly.

Try the 270 or 300 gr North Fork before any others.

They have alot more frontal area and retained weight than a Barnes X that blows off the front end. And you wont have to spend 30 minutes cleaning the copper out of your bore every 2 or 3 shots.

www.northforkbullets.com

If I were to own one rifle it would be my 375 improved.

You wont be sorry to build a .375 and use any of these good premium bullets.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote