THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Calibres that shoot different bullet weights to the same POI

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calibres that shoot different bullet weights to the same POI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there any calibres that are likely to shoot differing bullet weights to the same POI. That is to say that I could, for example, be looking for duiker but come across the eland of a lifetime and just change cartridge/bullet weight.

The old H&H catalogues seem to imply that the 300gn, 270gn and 235gn loads all shoot to the same point of impact.

Thanks in advance,

mike

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Legend has it that the 270 Winchester and the 375 H&H Magnum cartridges shoot to about the same point of impact with different weight bullets.

I haven't done any experimentation with the 270 Winchester in this regard. My extent of experimentation with the 375 H&H Magnum is with 270 and 300 grain bullets which really isn't much of a weight difference. With those bullets, the impact point is close enough to the same that accuracy is usable enough for a large game animal out to 100 yards in my experience.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Aussie, my .375 H&H shoots 270 grain bullets and 300 grain bullets in 2 different places. In my rifle if I'm sighted for 270 grain bullets then the 300 grainers are low (2") and right (2")at 100 yards. Results may be different in your rifle.
My thoughts are just pick the biggest bullet you are going to need and shoot'em all with that.
That method works in my .375 and my 30/06 just fine and never had an animal complain about my singular bullet selection.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am afraid this has nothing to do with caliber as such, but with teh particular rifle being used.

I have seen rifles in different calibers shoot differnt bullets to the same point of impact. While others shoot them all over the place.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you see your duiker, my guess is you won't have time to switch bullets. Just shoot him with the big bullet. He will be just as dead.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You really do not need to have different bullets for different animals.

I ahve been using the same rifle and bullet combination for every thing - 375/404 and 300 grainm bullets.

I have shot klipsringers and buffalo with these, and everything in between.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking different ammo just leads to confusion and having the wrong ammo in the gun for the game in front of you. Just take premium bullets of the typical weight for the caliber and you will be good to go for everything.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
I am afraid this has nothing to do with caliber as such, but with teh particular rifle being used.

QUOTE]

Here I agree 100.00% with Saeed. Every single rifle has a particular rifle vibration pattern during the travel of a bullet down the barrel. The bullet leaves the barrel end at some point in it's more or less figure of 8 vibration path, and that is then the direction in which the bullet is going initially to the Point of Impact (POI). If the rifle is 'accurate' it merely means that this vibration pattern is consistent with the particluar bullet/load/case/primer/seating depth/crimp/ all factors that influence accuracy. Yes, you also need the bullet to be spin stabilised to be accurate, but leave that out for a moment. An accurate load is one in which the barrel vibration pattern is very consistent! You adjust your sights to make sure the sights "looks" at this POI.

Change anything in the load, and the vibration pattern will likely change. In an inherently inaccurate rifle a probably lot, in an inherently accurate rifle probably, but not necessiraly so, less. It is possible that even a small change in one component causes a big change in the barrel vibration pattern, but not in the consistency of the vibration pattern. The change in POI is caused by a change in the vibration pattern, and factors like bullet drop and other external ballistics factors. That is why there are such difficult to understand things like some rifles shooting slower heavier bullets with poor BC's higher than it does a faster boat tail! Although the point of impact may shift a lot with a small change in any loading factor, the rifle may remain accurate for both loadings. If you are very, very lucky indeed you may find that the same rifle will shoot two quite different bullets, at either the same or even quite different initial velocities, to the same point of impact at a given distance. Only if the two bullets have the same BC and initial velocity will the POI for both bullets be the same at different ranges for two diferent bullet weights. But to actually get this, you have to be very very very lucky indeed.

And besides, like Saeed said, you don't need different bullets for different animals!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
With my Baser 9.3x62 I use 286grn Woodleigh soft and solids and 300grn Swift A frames.
Tey shoot the same and I find these bullets to make a great combo for my African Hunts.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote