New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kalahari Springbok?
 Login/Join

<Don Martin>
posted
Are the 'bok in the RSA (near the Botswana border, say Mcarthy's Rest region) considered Kalahari 'bok or not???????

Just curious,

Don Martin

posted Hide Post
Not according to SCI. They are South African springbok.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if not they should be. The jumpgoats around Askham/McCarthy's Rust/Van Zyls are amongst the largest in the country - they go 26-28kg slaughtered and have the best trophies. Down in the Karroo they go 22-23 kg and the trophies are rare. I always thought they would be Kalahari Springbok, I am surprised they are not.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin>
posted
Great pic ALF!

I was just at that sign myself!!!!

Don Martin

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Darn, that sign brings back many good memories. I drove that road and hunted that area for many years.
Considering the potential fracas brewing in Zim during next years elections (if that mad despot does not declare martial law in the interim)I am seriously considering hunting the Askham/Twee Riviere area with old friends.
That part of the world has a mystique of it's own.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,

This picture is at a T-Junction, what does it say on the indistinct sign at the back??

I musta passed this sign 2 or 3 times on my way from Tsabong (Botswana) thru McCarthy's on my way to South West or the West Coast.

Of course I didn't stop for a beer like you did, I couldn't wait to get to the sea to catch those kreef (Rock Lobster)

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Then I think that sign half way between Hotazel and Frylinkspan, along the Kalahari river. Am I correct? I used to hunt Sandgrouse around Pearson's Hunt. Where did you do your Springbok shooting

I an going down to Carnarvon next week maybe I'll take a detour...The Landy is up for it.

Aw heck, it's all so long ago....

Hey it is FREEZING here in SA. Biltong weather....

Cheers

Pete

------------------
I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf.

<Berger>
posted
Alf,

We really have no springbok fossils older than two million years and the earliest in southern Africa are specialized grazers (known as antidorcas bondi). You are correct in saying that the modern springbok antidorcas marsupialis is one species across its present range. both recent fossil work as well as genetic and zooligical work proves this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That'd be nice, I will be in Carnarvon 4/5/6/7/8 and back in Potties on the 9th July.

I am at 082 337 1303 (cell) 015 418 2070 (work) and 015 491 7678 (home) give us a shout anytime.

Cheers

pete

------------------
I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf.