Find
Notify
Tools

TSA Locks on Rifle Cases?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted
Did something change recently requiring a TSA lock on a gun case? The last time I flew with firearms, I used my own lock, but I have read this is no longer acceptable.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use TSA lock just for belt and suspenders purposes. There are reports of TSA or foreign security cutting locks on gun cases.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
You don't want a TSA lock. You want them to come get you to get a key before inspecting the firearm. That way you maintain some control in the process.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
That's what I used to do. As far as inspecting the guns, the ticket agent looked at my guns and told me to lock the case. Why would the TSA need to look at them again? I have TSA locks for my luggage, but they look pretty flimsy.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Somehow last year in Namibia I lost my "good" lock for my case. I had some spare TSA locks so I used it for the return trip. The gun inspection guys in Nambia asked if I had a better lock than the TSA one. They thought it looked flimsy. I told them it was all I had.

Gun made it home okay but I would much prefer a "good" lock, Which I now have plus a spare.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with the latest regs but in 2004 I had my guns inspected at the airport (ticket agent), I then had an airline security type come get me to fill out some more forms - TWICE concerning my wife's rifle, a .308 (we were going through London). The luggage was checked all the way through so it wasn't until reaching JoBerg I discovered one case had appearently traveled half-way around the world UNLOCKED! Eeker The bastards had cut not the lock but the hasps off! Mad The case was a loss and required some creative packing to get everything back home in one case. I'm still amazed the rifle made it to Africa.
Don't rely on the airline, TSA or anyone else to do what's right!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Last time I checked, and as has been posted here before, the rules in the US said that no one but you should have the key to the gun case. That would rule out the TSA locks, and yes the ones I have seen looked flimsy.

You should look at the most recent airline and TSA rules before traveling.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I flew from Colorado to Orlando recently on Delta with a rifle. In Grand Junction they told me to unlock the case and leave the lock (not TSA) on case so they could inspect it in the back. Gun arrived in Orlando locked. In Orlando the ticket agent had me show that gun was unloaded, and then told me to lock it. I carried it over to TSA and they ran the case through X-Ray and that was it.

Two years ago, same flights, completely different experience. My impression is that nobody knows what the hell is going on....

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the heaviest TSA lock I could find.

The next heaviest looking TSA lock I found were here on this site. Have any of you used either brand?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best advise I received, and followed, on my trip to Tanzania this year was to get a set of same ked locks. My case used two so I put two inside the case with a note telling whomever cut my locks to relock the case with those. That way I had a locked case and a key. Fortunately noone broke into my case.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently, there was a screw-up of passing the information regarding firearms in my luggage when I passed through Dallas-FW this December. The missing information and a firearm showing up on the x-ray (I assume?), caused a stir in Dallas, and my bag was inspected in the luggage handling area. I was notified of the problem and taken down to where the inspection took place (15 minutes prior to departure...). My duffel bag had been unpacked, take-down guncase removed, locks picked (sic!) and gun case inspected. Granted, the locks on this case must be about the cheapest kind available, but the case is light and thus helps me adhere to weight limits. Packing it inside my duffel, I have never had problems with damage to my rifles. In one instance, I even travelled with 2 complete R93s inside the same case, it was a bit of a struggle to get them to fit, but it worked.

Anyway, to get back to my story about TSA. The police officer at the scene politely asked me a few questions, and I produced my paperwork for the rifle, and all was well. They kindly asked me if I had a key for the case, as it would be easier to re-lock the case - rather than to "un-pick" the locks, I suppose... I was not quite sure whether I was impressed at law enforcement picking my locks, appalled they had not waited for me, or simply happy that the story ended without damage. My bag even made it onto the connecting flight, for which I'll be forever grateful to AA's service people.

Sometimes, the most unexpected things happen...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here, near Washington, DC, tThe ticket agent checks the guns and then they are taken, along with you, too a TSA area where you wait outside and they go through your gun case.

Again, there are reports, including one in this thread, about TSA accessing gun cases after they are checked. Best to give them the opportunity without the nessecity of cutting off your locks.

Also, no need for bank vault solid locks. The locks are only to stop the casual thief or mischief maker. Even a flimsy lock will do this. If a thief really wants your guns he'll either steal the whole case or cut the locks off and there isn't a lock made that will work for a gun case that can prevent that from happening.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote