THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Pelican case for 2 bolt actioned rifles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelican case for 2 bolt actioned rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the Pelican 1750 case for 2 rifles. I'd like to know if those with experience with this case remove the bolts when the guns are placed into the case?

I can see that a bolt removed from the action is less likely to be damaged, but I'm just always a bit nervious that the bolt is more prone to loss when it's not in the gun.

The Pelican has a reputation for superior protection so it may not matter one way or the other.

Just being paranoid Smiler

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Depends on the airline. Some allow it, others require the rifle be "inactivated" (or deactivated?). Anyway, I use a trigger lock to render my firearms unusable (required by AirCanada), and leave the bolts in. I'd rather not chance having the two separated in transit.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I took a REM 700 to RSA (Delta domestic, SAA Atlanta to JoBerg)in May 2004 in the same model Pelican case and left the bolt in the rifle round-trip with no damage. I too would rather keep the bolt in rifle.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that when I left the bolts in, they made a small bulge in the case when it was closed. I worried that there was some increased chase of something getting bent or broken. I cut slots in the foam to take the bolts. No more bulge, bolts in the case with the rifles.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try with the bolt in the rifle.

Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
My experience:

USA TSA: Bolt in

Jo-Berg SAPS: Bolt in

East London SAPS: Bolt out

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi:

I to use this case, great for protection, even though it is a bit heavy.

If regs let you, always leave them in...... from London has to be out.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take the bolt out and wrap it in bubble wrap whether I'm using my Pelican or other. I believe the bolt can act like a fulcrum if additional luggage (load) is stacked on top of the case in an un-even manner and will snap the stock. With the bolt out, the rifle lays flat and does not have a concentrated pressure point.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have this Pelican case, and have used it twice to Africa and many times here in the USA.

I have traveled with the bolt in my synthetic stock .338 with no problem.

HOWEVER, my beautiful custom stock Mauser broke at the wrist after flying from Denver to Tampa with the bolt in it!

I agree that leaving the bolt in that tight case can provide a fulcrum for bending the rifle.

You also MUST use the middle layer of foam - cut to fit your rifle - to prevent the rifles from sliding down against the ends in an end-on drop.

Take the bolts out. There is no reason to leave them in and even if only one reason to take them out, that should be enough.

Good Hunting.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a hard golf club case with sift cases inside and left both bolts inside the rifles, but did use trigger locks. Had no problems with Air Canada or british airways.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I have a pelican and I pull the bolts. Doesn't hurt anything and gives me peace-of-mind.

OT: anyone know the specs for the middle foam layer. I need to replace mine (want to have a few inserts for various configurations). The stuff you buy specifically for pelican cases is way expensive and I'd like to find alternatives.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I also remove the bolts and put them in a slot cut into the foam. Makes me feel better that way and some of the TSA people I have been inspected by told me that is the way they prefer it.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote