THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What African nations allow resident hunting?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What African nations allow resident hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
I just took the foreign service test and felt pretty good about it.

From friends who have been with the Foreign Service stationed in Tanzania and South Africa, I know how those systems work. Anyone have any advice on other nations?

Looks like it takes about 18-28 months to get through the hiring chain.

thanks again,

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Almost all allow resident poaching.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
I just took the foreign service test and felt pretty good about it.

From friends who have been with the Foreign Service stationed in Tanzania and South Africa, I know how those systems work. Anyone have any advice on other nations?

thanks again,

If your accent is anything but South African, you will not be paying resident prices. Wink

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Actually the 4 non-South African guys that I know that work in a variety of towns in South Africa all pay biltong prices.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Damn lucky!

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I think it is the same as anything else.

3 of them speak Afrikaans, and they ask the local gun shop for a good place that would treat them fair.

Same as anywhere else in the world, if you treat people with respect, and don't have a chip on your shoulder it goes farther than having expectations and attitude.

I have been able to hunt in almost every country I have ever been stationed in. In Greece there wasn't much hunting and in Djibouti it was illegal.

If this 2nd career works out for me I would hope that it would be the same.

I am a regular guy, most of my military career I was a mechanic. I am not some diplomatic or military officer that makes a lot of money.

Here in Australia the fact that I was a "tradesman" is a huge deal, and has opened a lot of doors that wouldn't be open to me as a hunter if I was the typical blue collar Foreigner most Aussies meet in the capitol.

The guy in Pretoria has hunted the most, and told me he can shoot a bull kudu in the 50-55 inch range on the weekends for $800 including 2 nights stay, food and skinning.

He has a double cab Toyota bakkie and his own rifle. Not sure what farms he is hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Ssshhh! I know East Cape kudu are smaller, but I pay, sssshhh, way less than that. I have yet to find a good recipe for the horns, but the rest I can prepare and eat. Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambia has good opportunities but you have to outfit all yourself which is a logistical challenge.

SA has plenty good hunting and join the right local hunting association and there will be many opportunities at reasonable prices!

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania allows resident hunting. I don't know what it takes to be considered a resident for the purpose of hunting however.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
One of the guys I work with here was in Dar for 2 postings.

He's not a hunter but he is a gun guy and explained the process. He carried his pistol with him everywhere he went, and brought a rifle and a shotgun anytime they went out to look at animals or camp. Mostly for the 2 legged predators, but really for both.

Thanks all,

Anyone know anything about Senegal, Benin, CAR, Cameroon or any of the other more colorful ones?

My guess is that you get a "colorful" posting first go or you get punished severly on the 2nd tour.

Botswana, Namibia and quite a few others are considered to be easy.

Chad, Sudan and some places in West Africa are considered to be hardship.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Finally figured out Botswana's unusual website structure.
http://www.mewt.gov.bw/uploads..._forms_licensing.pdf

Tanzania's offers less information but they allow it.