New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just how "easy" is it to get a cat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think that high success rates are not really as high as some are being led to believe.

I have not seen anyone posting here that they consistently have shot big cats on their first try, and in fact it seems that that is an aberration, rather than the norm. In fact, it seems like there have been millions of dollars spent by the respondents of this thread on "unsuccessful" cat hunts, although most of you eventually did get them.

I have hope! dancing

I will say that this is a good thing, as it should not be easy.

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I'm beginning to think that high success rates are not really as high as some are being led to believe.

I have not seen anyone posting here that they consistently have shot big cats on their first try, and in fact it seems that that is an aberration, rather than the norm. In fact, it seems like there have been millions of dollars spent by the respondents of this thread on "unsuccessful" cat hunts, although most of you eventually did get them.

I have hope! dancing

I will say that this is a good thing, as it should not be easy.

One reason for this! Often times budget concerns or poor choice of area/outfitter, or both, lead to lack of success. Off the top of my head, I can think of only 3 lion hunters I have sent that have come home empty handed, just 3. One was a bowhunter, and all 3 passed up lions that were not up to snuff. I have done 14 lion hunts, shot 11 lions, and 2 of the three unsuccessful hunts I passed lions that I just did not want. That's about 85% success rate. I know Ganyana said he is 24 for 27 with clients on lion, that's gotta be 90% plus success.

Experience & knowledge man, that's what its all about. And of course a little luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
After spending the past 15 years chasing cats in at least 6 different countries, and having been successful on shooting 15 lion/leopard myself, plus being with 6-8 clients that have shot lion/leopard, I have managed to come to a few conclusions. Leopards are without a doubt, the most difficult overall. ....

Well that's impressive. I would love to see your trophyroom.
I'm sure you are the man i will talk with for my first lionhunt in a couple of years.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the actual % of success is. From my studies in the last month I have been told 75% to near 100% success rates. This was from about half a dozen of some of the best known leopard outfits.
I really don't know what to think but I find it hard not to believe some of these top notch PH's when they say they are near 100%. Maybe I am a little gullable at times but for a guy who can not afford to keep going back for a leopard I really would appreciate some honesty so I don't get screwed over. The hard part of choosing a guy to go with is that there are so many outfitters that say they do so well on leopard. Too many choices. At times I feel like picking straws with the list of outfitters I have to go with. It is a hard desicion to figure out who will really give you the best chance.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everybody here says the same thing, and quite frankly everybody is right!

Priority #1 - Location, location, location
Priority #2 - Best time to go to that location, and it can even vary within the same country
Priority #3 - Experienced and successful cat hunter/ph
Priority #4 - Luck

Problem I often see with clients though is they are not always willing to go to the "Actual Best Places", either because they can't afford what is really the best, which I totally understand that, or someone else has told them that XYZ is the best, simply because that guy went there and got one! Buddies often recommend what they know from limited experience, not necessarily what might be the BEST! Quite frankly, some agents are guilty of that too. Not only do you want an experienced PH, but if booking a hunt with an agent, you want him to have diverse experience. Now this might sound biased, and I don't mean it that way, but in my opinion, that's why a GOOD booking agent is really the very best way to go! As an outfitter myself for a long-time now, of course I am gonna believe that my hunts that I offer, are the best. But a really experienced and un-biased agent is going to listen to what you really want, and make a recommendation based on your criteria, not just the ONE hunt he has to sell, in the one area that operates in, as is the case with specific outfitters. I'm not bashing outfitters in anyway, I am just stating what I believe to be true. For example, I have sold a hunt or two for Adam Clements in Masailand for buffalo over the last couple years, but really Mark is the guy to turn to for that. Although I don't want to lose a client, fact is, if a really big buffalo is the client's only goal. Booking a Masailand buffalo hunt with Mark, at the right time of year, is probably your very best bet for the biggest one possible. That's just the facts!

As LDK said as well, if getting the cat you want is REALLY the goal, you need to make that the priority, period! Too often guys want the cat, but they want other things too. Sometimes to get those "other things", the area then changes to NOT THE BEST CAT AREA, or timing is sacrificed, etc.

Plus, when considering getting one, are you considering just getting one to be the goal, or are you looking at getting a BIG ONE as the goal? Getting a big, full-maned lion, and getting just a decent lion are two different things. Often the difference is the location and the price! Not that both areas can't be equal in success percentages, but they are often not equal in quality of the cats available in the first place. Just getting a leopard, and getting a big leopard, is also two different things, and often the same theory applies. Just ask Fairgame, I'll bet he will agree with this. If I was going to Zambia and the goal was to get a leopard, period. He would tell you to come with him to the Luangwa, but if you want a bit less odds of success, but a shot at killing a much bigger leopard, he'll tell you to come with him to the Kafue.

If money was no object, and I wanted the BEST odds on a leopard hunt for the biggest leopard possible, I would book with Brittingham and go to Mt. Kitinbine (spelling), no question about it! If Lion was my goal, and money no object I would go to Lunga Luswishi in the Kafue, and a close second might be the Rungwa or Lukwati game reserves in Tanzania. But unfortunately not all of us have the un-limited budget to go wherever we want, so that too has to be factored in.

After spending the past 15 years chasing cats in at least 6 different countries, and having been successful on shooting 15 lion/leopard myself, plus being with 6-8 clients that have shot lion/leopard, I have managed to come to a few conclusions. Leopards are without a doubt, the most difficult overall. Not that they are any smarter than lions, but they are simply more secretive. Lions are bold, even though they are cautious. They often just don't exhibit the same shyness as a leopard. Not always but more as a generalization. I personally have not had near the success on leopard, as I have with lion, even though I was hunting some very good places. But some of that lack of success has been that when I do lion/leopard hunts, I am always more focused on lion. Several times I have passed sitting on big tom leopards, simply because we had lion hitting other baits, and that's where I chose to go first.

Well, this is all just my opinion, and what the hell do I know anyway???

Nube - If you didn't read this already, please do. Especially the first full paragraph. Get a good agent who has the knowledge & experience with many different hunts, and then listen to what he says.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are leopard smart and strong? We hunted leopard unsucessfully in a government safari area of Zimbabwe a couple of years ago. After the Trailtimers confirmed the leopard was a dark- of-the-night-only visitor the PH came up with a failsafe plan. Put a loose impala in a different but nearby tree so it would fall 35 feet to the ground when the leopard began to eat. The leopard then would promptly drag the bait to a favored location to protect it from hyenas and enjoy eating for a couple of days.
The next day we returned to follow the fresh drag and set up a new blind, but there was no drag to follow. The leopard had taken the impala down from the new location and climbed with it to the original one where we observed the well consumed remains. We concluded that this leopard was not only on to us but had a derogatatory sense of humor, directed at us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Inexpensive and high success rates on mature male leopards is an oxymoron. People do shoot cats on inexpensive hunts but the overall success rates are quite low.

In my opinion and it has been proven from our client's success that the Luangwa river in Zambia may offer your best chance of success. It would not be unusual to have 2-3 males feeding at once on differnt baits. You literally could choose the one you want to sit for. These hunts are low to mid $20,000 affairs plus in country transportation and trophy fees. I personally have a hunt booked on the Luangwa and fully expect to find the leopard in the salt in the first 7 days.

I think the point is that you probably will not find a better leopard hunt and even though it is not cheap you probably will not need to book another leopard hunt unless like me you just like hunting them. A client last year who had spent 50 odd days in leopard blinds to shoot his first leopard scored on the Luangwa on day two.

I guess the point is if you want a leopard is it worth spending a little on numerous safaris or is it better to pay more an get one on the first try.

I've only shot 3 leopards but I hunted in good areas with good PH's. I sat in the blind exactly 6 times total. On the last 2 hunts I shot the leopard on the first evening in the blind. That was not blind luck.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I agree with what Mark is saying about a cheap leopard hunt and a highly successful leopard hunt being 99% mutually exclusive. Occasionally a guy scores on a super cheap $7500 to $10,000 leopard hunt, but the more expensive hunts ($20,000 day rate and up) are more expensive for several reasons. Those reasons (location, time, PH, success rates) are the difference in getting Mr Spots and perhaps not getting Mr. Spots.

My first and only leopard hunt was the product of much study and deliberation. Ultimately I booked with the outfit that gave me the most expensive quotation. I did not book because of that, but that's the way it worked out.

Over 16 days, our hunting party accounted for nine leopard sightings. Day and night, on baits, laying in trees, sleeping on ant hills, you name it, we saw leopards doing it.

I ultimately shot a great cat on day eight. This was after a super close call with the same cat on day three.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
I wonder what the actual % of success is. From my studies in the last month I have been told 75% to near 100% success rates. This was from about half a dozen of some of the best known leopard outfits.
I really don't know what to think but I find it hard not to believe some of these top notch PH's when they say they are near 100%. Maybe I am a little gullable at times but for a guy who can not afford to keep going back for a leopard I really would appreciate some honesty so I don't get screwed over. The hard part of choosing a guy to go with is that there are so many outfitters that say they do so well on leopard. Too many choices. At times I feel like picking straws with the list of outfitters I have to go with. It is a hard desicion to figure out who will really give you the best chance.

I agree with Aaron's points and he is a fine agent and with all good agents he has researched his recommended hunting areas well.

Aaron quotes - 'Off the top of my head, I can think of only 3 lion hunters I have sent that have come home empty handed, just 3. One was a bowhunter, and all 3 passed up lions that were not up to snuff'.

Coincedentally it was me who hunted the bow hunter and he turned down three Lion looking for a black mane. He took video of all three and showed it to another client who had just arrived. When the bow hunter left the new client immediately upgraded his safari and shot the biggest of the blondes that very same day.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9950 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well, going by my limited expirience, one could say that getting a big cat is easy. After all, I"ve hunted leopards a total of 2 days (not counting hanging baits) and shot two big leopards. The first was a bait hunt in Deka, and the second was a tracking hunt in the Kalahari.

On the other hand, you could say that based on my experience, hunting big cats is very tough, since it took 2 safaris and 37 days of hunting to shoot a lion.

I guess I'm a bad example, huh?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I have chased leopard once....at plains game daily rates in a Zim farming area. Had a big male hit the bait and never return. Educated Kitty. Also saw a quick flash of what may have been a leopard around mid-day. IMHO, the previous poster was right that a "good odds" dedicated leopard/lion hunt is going to be big bucks. For the rest of us without pockets quite that deep, we get to shoot and hang a lot of high trophy quality bait and hope for the best. Not such a bad life when you think about it. When someone gets a leopard under such circumstances you can't tell me it isn't just a bit more satisfying than paying $15-20K for a pre-baited, 14 day, 90% success rate affair.

JMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with whats been said but would add ,book as long of a hunt as you can. A 21 day leopard hunt wouldn't be too long.

Scott

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:

With Leopard keep this simple rule in mind, more plainsgame = more leopard.

Think about it. This is another reason that the Save in Zim has tons of leopard.

Look at Laungwa Valley. Same thing. Tons of leopard.

You can kill some monster cats chasing them on farms, but it is much riskier.

Also for value, the Niassa Reserve in Moz. is stacked with leopard. I saw one during the day during my hunt and have talked to multiple people who hunted there that had leopards fighting over baits.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lightning - It can be true that more game = more cats, but that certainly does not have anything to due with likelihood of success. In fact, sometimes just the opposite!! Healthy leopards are killing machines, period! In areas where game densities are high, especially normal prey species that often aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, leopards kill at will. Meaning that the necessity of taking a bait, or even the chance they will find your bait is lessened. So more does not always mean better.

I have hunted leopard in places where the game densities are high, along with the cat populations. Leopards in these areas have always been harder to get on bait, and more importantly, KEEP on bait. The masses of prey species is often more than they can resist. They are simply too good at killing to be dependent on it.

Yes, the Save has good leopard populations. But numerous other places would be a better choice, if success was priority.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread with everyone saying the two top ingrediants are location and PH. But, other than listing the SAVE and Luangwa, no one has said what those areas are and who the corresponding PH's are. That is the missing information.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lightning - It can be true that more game = more cats, but that certainly does not have anything to due with likelihood of success. In fact, sometimes just the opposite!! Healthy leopards are killing machines, period! In areas where game densities are high, especially normal prey species that often aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, leopards kill at will. Meaning that the necessity of taking a bait, or even the chance they will find your bait is lessened. So more does not always mean better.

I have hunted leopard in places where the game densities are high, along with the cat populations. Leopards in these areas have always been harder to get on bait, and more importantly, KEEP on bait. The masses of prey species is often more than they can resist. They are simply too good at killing to be dependent on it.

Yes, the Save has good leopard populations. But numerous other places would be a better choice, if success was priority.

I was speaking of general leopard populations. Agreed that there are other factors that determine success.

Farm cats are tough, period. People kill them all the time, doesn't mean they aren't tough.

Obviously I stated, Luangwa Valley, and Niassa are good areas for leopard, probably better than the Save. Cost and other targets have to be considered when comparing these areas.

I am guessing the areas you represent are the better ones, but you have been very partial and informative on this thread, so I give the benefit of the doubt.

You are an expert on Africa hunting. I have been once or twice an know a few things too.

Many top areas for Leopard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do think you can be snake bit on some things especially leopard. I was for 4 hunts. 2 in Zim and 2 in Tan.
At one point in Masiland we had 19 bait and 8 cats feeding. All females. Alister Norton got me a nice cat in Zambia finally on my 5th try in 08. Got me another one last year.
Got real lucky and took a nice lion on the 5th day in Masiland.
Location, Location, Location and PH
as someone already said.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Last I heard, Alistair was 100% on both lion and leopard since at least 2004. He guided me to my Zambian lion and 30ott6 to his leopard with ample time to spare.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I think the time of the year has a hell of a lot to do with success rate. When it gets really hot, I think the success rate goes way down.

I was in the SAVE last October and it was HOT. 120+ degrees. The baits would only last 2 or 3 days before they were finished.

I got my lion but not the leopard. I really believe the heat had something to do with it.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Interesting thread with everyone saying the two top ingrediants are location and PH. Put, other than listing the SAVE and Luangwa, no one has said what those areas are and who the corresponding PH's are. That is the missing information.

For me..

If I chose:

1) Save - Zambezi Hunters (Johnathan or Theirry) on a traditional hunt or Barry Duckworth's outfit(if I wanted to hunt with dogs I would go with Barry since he works with Warrick Evans (my perference of dog handler).

2) Laungwa Valley - Athol Frylinck Do your research. Athol does a great job and manages area very well. Good camps too. Great outfit.

3) Niassa Reserve - Luwire Safaris - Derek Littleton. Primitive hunt - Lots of Leopard.

4) Tanzania - TGT or Adam Clements - Both have great areas. Timing on Adams place can make for a buffalo hunt that you usually only dream of.

Anybody (Safari company or Broker) that says they have the best areas for all species are full of it most of the time. My opinion is that TGT and probably Adam are the only two that can come close to that claim. Even then they will say the the average leopard in Tanz. and Northern Moz. tend to be slightly smaller.

If I was looking at lion also, I would drop Moz. and add the Kaufe region of Zambia.

Gavin Hume's outfit and others have produced some monster lion. The buffalo coming in and out of the park can be a problem in some of these areas. But some of these oufits are trying to take only a few lion a year. Another major point of research.

To each his own...

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Lightning,
That is an impressive list. I am aware of the outstanding reputation of each and each comes with an equally impressive price tag. I hunted lion across the river from Athol's and saw a great lion on his side. The place is also lousy with leopard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said in one of my earlier posts, there's a difference between successful hunts, and the best places to hunt for BIG cats.

To me specifically, especially as it pertains to Leopards, the size of the leopard, is the trophy of the leopard. Lions, the size/quality of the mane is the trophy. They might be officially judged by skull size, but who really gives a damn about that?

So, I'll give you my picks for the BEST PLACES to go for a BIG LEOPARD & FULL MANED LION. I don't sell hunts into all of them either, just so everyone knows my opinions are not based on any financial bias.

Leopard:

#1: Mt Kitinbine - Tanzania
#2: Lowveld SA/Zim (One particular operator is SA) but many others too.
#3: Kafue - Zambia (Luangwa higher % on smaller cats)
#4: Western Tanzania

If success was of most concern over size: Zambia - Luangwa, Tanzania - Selous, Mozambique - Niassa, and not necessarily in that order.

Lion:

#1: Kafue - Zambia
#2: Rungwa/Lukwati/Moyowosi - Tanzania (Masailand does produce big lion, but not near as consistently as the Kafue or Rungwa/Lukwati)
#3: Save - Zimbabwe (southern half)
#4: Luangwa - Zambia
Other good areas include Niassa, Masailand, not in any order. These areas are good, Masailand in particular can produce a huge lion, but they are not as consistent on big maned lions, period!

HANDS DOWN, best place to shoot both a BIG LEOPARD & BIG MANED LION on the same 24 - day hunt: Zambia's Kafue!!! The Kafue produced the largest Leopard EVER killed in Zambia in 2004/2005, plus it consistently produces incredibly big maned lions, and large leopards year after year. Yes, this is one place that the operator can claim to have BIG species of both in the same place.

Here is Zambia's ALL-TIME #1 Leopard. Shot in the Kafue. Below are 2 lions from 2009, shot from the EXACT SAME HUNTING CONCESSION.

A few other things in my opinion that I differ on with some of the previous post. PLEASE NOTE, this is just my opinion, its not meant to say others are in-correct in their own.

1. Full Moon/Dark of Moon - Blah, Blah, Blah. Makes not a rats ass bit of difference. Cats are the ultimate predator, they hunt just as good in either situation. Fact is I have seen better success on full moon, as the prey species can actually see better in the full moon than in the pitch dark, thus making it easier to avoid danger, thus making the hunting for the cat a bit more difficult. Every PH that I consider to REALLY be a good cat hunter have all told me the same thing- NEVER PAID IT ANY ATTENTION!

This is also especially true in MORE wild, remote areas where the hunting pressure is much, much less! First off, places like TZ & ZA do not even allow night hunting. Part of the reason night hunting is so prevalent in places like the Save Valley for example is because its often necessary to be successful, period! The Save is roughly 880,000 acres, now I am not sure of the total quota on the entire conservancy but my guess is 25-30 leopard per year, maybe more. Now, take places in TZ & ZA again, where often the hunting blocks are 2-3 times that size and they only have 3-5 leopard on quota per year, big difference. In these areas the HUNTING pressure ALL-AROUND is so much less that although night hunting is not legal, it is not even necessary, as the cats are simply not as wary. If the cat is coming at 5pm, what the heck does it matter what the moon is??

As example, I have a good friend/client who is from Mexico. He was hunting the Save (Humani) in 2008 for Leopard at the very same time I was hunting lion (Senuko). He was in the very end successful on a mid-sized female, but only after MANY all-nighters in the blind, etc. So, in June 2009 I took him to the Kafue with me. I hunted lion, he hunted Leopard. On day 4 he shot a very big leopard, I would guess at 170lbs. On the 3rd evening we sat in the blind, the leopard showed, but it was too dark to film. So we came back at 5am the next morning, and by 6:30am the leopard was dead. These examples have for the most part been my very same experiences with leopard hunting in Zim/SA versus wild remote places in ZA & TZ. In Zimbabwe I have shot 4 lions & 2 leopards, all but one has been after dark. ALL the other cats I have shot, have been in the day light. Either early morning or late evening.

2. Long grass is harder for cats to hunt in - Just the opposite is true! Cats rely on surprise and stealth, the long grass conceals them and allows for a much better opportunity of surprise. Notice two things, prey always gathers in the OPEN, freshly burned areas, because NOW they can SEE everything that might try to approach. Yes they are after the new green grass too, but they like the fact that now the cats can't be waiting 10 feet away near as easily. Any good PH will only burn so much grass if he is still planning to cat hunt, he knows that if there is NO grass for the cats, likely they will move to a place where there is some.

3. Lions are Harder to get than Leopard - Well, not in my opinion. First, leopards simply are the ULTIMATE killer. Even big males are fast, quick, and agile. If an area has even decent prey populations, leopards can kill at will. Thus, enticing them to bait, sometimes can be more difficult. Not that enticing them is the problem, but if they are already feeding on a kill, that means likely they are not looking for food, thus not finding your bait may not happen. They also are just more wary than lions, I don't believe they are any smarter, just a bit more cautious.

Lions are Bold, and will even trump their noses at approaching danger, as often times they just don't care. I've seen them sit at the bait, and simply await your arrival, even though they undoubtedly hear or see your approach. I've never seen leopards do this. Plus, big males that are lone males, have a bit tougher time hunting for themselves. Not that they can't of course, but sometimes it can be more difficult for them, so traveling more allows them more opportunity to find your bait. If they do, likely they ain't leaving!! Bottom line, I think if all things are equal, lion hunting has a better chance of success, overall.

Just more of my useless opinions!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said in one of my earlier posts, there's a difference between successful hunts, and the best places to hunt for BIG cats.

To me specifically, especially as it pertains to Leopards, the size of the leopard, is the trophy of the leopard. Lions, the size/quality of the mane is the trophy. They might be officially judged by skull size, but who really gives a damn about that?

So, I'll give you my picks for the BEST PLACES to go for a BIG LEOPARD & FULL MANED LION. I don't sell hunts into all of them either, just so everyone knows my opinions are not based on any financial bias.

Leopard:

#1: Mt Kitinbine - Tanzania
#2: Lowveld SA/Zim (One particular operator is SA) but many others too.
#3: Kafue - Zambia (Luangwa higher % on smaller cats)
#4: Western Tanzania

If success was of most concern over size: Zambia - Luangwa, Tanzania - Selous, Mozambique - Niassa, and not necessarily in that order.

Lion:

#1: Kafue - Zambia
#2: Rungwa/Lukwati/Moyowosi - Tanzania (Masailand does produce big lion, but not near as consistently as the Kafue or Rungwa/Lukwati)
#3: Save - Zimbabwe (southern half)
#4: Luangwa - Zambia
Other good areas include Niassa, Masailand, not in any order. These areas are good, Masailand in particular can produce a huge lion, but they are not as consistent on big maned lions, period!

HANDS DOWN, best place to shoot both a BIG LEOPARD & BIG MANED LION on the same 24 - day hunt: Zambia's Kafue!!! The Kafue produced the largest Leopard EVER killed in Zambia in 2004/2005, plus it consistently produces incredibly big maned lions, and large leopards year after year. Yes, this is one place that the operator can claim to have BIG species of both in the same place.

Here is Zambia's ALL-TIME #1 Leopard. Shot in the Kafue. Below are 2 lions from 2009, shot from the EXACT SAME HUNTING CONCESSION.

A few other things in my opinion that I differ on with some of the previous post. PLEASE NOTE, this is just my opinion, its not meant to say others are in-correct in their own.

1. Full Moon/Dark of Moon - Blah, Blah, Blah. Makes not a rats ass bit of difference. Cats are the ultimate predator, they hunt just as good in either situation. Fact is I have seen better success on full moon, as the prey species can actually see better in the full moon than in the pitch dark, thus making it easier to avoid danger, thus making the hunting for the cat a bit more difficult. Every PH that I consider to REALLY be a good cat hunter have all told me the same thing- NEVER PAID IT ANY ATTENTION!

This is also especially true in MORE wild, remote areas where the hunting pressure is much, much less! First off, places like TZ & ZA do not even allow night hunting. Part of the reason night hunting is so prevalent in places like the Save Valley for example is because its often necessary to be successful, period! The Save is roughly 880,000 acres, now I am not sure of the total quota on the entire conservancy but my guess is 25-30 leopard per year, maybe more. Now, take places in TZ & ZA again, where often the hunting blocks are 2-3 times that size and they only have 3-5 leopard on quota per year, big difference. In these areas the HUNTING pressure ALL-AROUND is so much less that although night hunting is not legal, it is not even necessary, as the cats are simply not as wary. If the cat is coming at 5pm, what the heck does it matter what the moon is??

As example, I have a good friend/client who is from Mexico. He was hunting the Save (Humani) in 2008 for Leopard at the very same time I was hunting lion (Senuko). He was in the very end successful on a mid-sized female, but only after MANY all-nighters in the blind, etc. So, in June 2009 I took him to the Kafue with me. I hunted lion, he hunted Leopard. On day 4 he shot a very big leopard, I would guess at 170lbs. On the 3rd evening we sat in the blind, the leopard showed, but it was too dark to film. So we came back at 5am the next morning, and by 6:30am the leopard was dead. These examples have for the most part been my very same experiences with leopard hunting in Zim/SA versus wild remote places in ZA & TZ. In Zimbabwe I have shot 4 lions & 2 leopards, all but one has been after dark. ALL the other cats I have shot, have been in the day light. Either early morning or late evening.

2. Long grass is harder for cats to hunt in - Just the opposite is true! Cats rely on surprise and stealth, the long grass conceals them and allows for a much better opportunity of surprise. Notice two things, prey always gathers in the OPEN, freshly burned areas, because NOW they can SEE everything that might try to approach. Yes they are after the new green grass too, but they like the fact that now the cats can't be waiting 10 feet away near as easily. Any good PH will only burn so much grass if he is still planning to cat hunt, he knows that if there is NO grass for the cats, likely they will move to a place where there is some.

3. Lions are Harder to get than Leopard - Well, not in my opinion. First, leopards simply are the ULTIMATE killer. Even big males are fast, quick, and agile. If an area has even decent prey populations, leopards can kill at will. Thus, enticing them to bait, sometimes can be more difficult. Not that enticing them is the problem, but if they are already feeding on a kill, that means likely they are not looking for food, thus not finding your bait may not happen. They also are just more wary than lions, I don't believe they are any smarter, just a bit more cautious.

Lions are Bold, and will even trump their noses at approaching danger, as often times they just don't care. I've seen them sit at the bait, and simply await your arrival, even though they undoubtedly hear or see your approach. I've never seen leopards do this. Plus, big males that are lone males, have a bit tougher time hunting for themselves. Not that they can't of course, but sometimes it can be more difficult for them, so traveling more allows them more opportunity to find your bait. If they do, likely they ain't leaving!! Bottom line, I think if all things are equal, lion hunting has a better chance of success, overall.

Just more of my useless opinions!!!

Aaron, who do you book for in the Kafue?

When is the best time of year to go?

What do you get for a 18 day lion and leopard?

You have shot more lion than anyone I have heard of so your advice is sound.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That is an 8 foot leopard as we would say in India! A real monster!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11201 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Agree with Aaron on the Kaufe region. Could be the top area in Africa for lion. Not to mention the sable are unreal there.

Be careful when booking Zambia. Lots of research and stick with very reputable outfitters.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I believe he books for Richard Bell-Cross' Pro Hunt Zambia.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I believe he books for Richard Bell-Cross' Pro Hunt Zambia.

Brett

Jeff H - Brett's right, mainly Richard, but not only him.

24 - Day Lion/Leopard at $66,800.00 plus lion trophy fee at $7,000.00 & Leopard at $5,000.00. Not Cheap, but a real wild hunt, in the truest sense of the word. It's my favorite place in all of Africa. Soonest lion opening, 2012. Best time to go, late May - August.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
File this in for what it's worth department regarding leopard and lion. In 2008 I hunted with Kambako Safaris in Mozambique with Stu Taylor PH. I shot a very large male for the area on day 12 of a 21 day safari after sitting in the same blind for 10 days. The area was lousy with leopards having seen 4 during daylight hours. My friend who also posts here was in camp hunting lion and his group saw 5 leopards during the day. Two of which were black color phase. No luck on the lion. They had a very strick 6 year old program for lions. Both groups saw numerous lions just not the right one.
In 2009 I booked a lion hunt Wendell Reich had advetised here on AR for October at Senukko Ranch in the SAVE' Conservancy with Andy Hunter as the PH. On day ten we took a great lion I was estatic with. I passed one other male that i was glad of. The hunt report is posted here in the AR "Lion and fire in the SAVE'.You decide.
RE: Mr. Spots.We saw a large male that was hitting one of our lion baits on two occasions during the day. I was up on the sticks both times just looking not buying. The lion was enough for this trip plus other PG when it came to the budget. Darn ole budgets anyway.
Both of these hunts were the first for each animal. I believe both hunts were in great areas for the cats. In Mozambique the PG was not thick. In Zimbabmwe the PG was thick. So.....I believe pick an area and company that has a consistant record. It seems the booking agents on AR can give a no BS assesment of chances without sugar coating which certainly helps in sifting through all the options. IMHO!!!!

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
charles - you just need to practice by shooting more crats. i think hummels neighbors has a bunch

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original question was "How EASY is it to get a cat". Fact is, its never easy. But, its impossible if you never go!!! So if you want one, start making a plan, good luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original question was "How EASY is it to get a cat". Fact is, its never easy. But, its impossible if you never go!!! So if you want one, start making a plan, good luck!

If you want easy then hunt Leopard with dogs. Have not figured out why we can't yet do it with Lion?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was easy. On my first safari, albeit in 1984, I took a lion and leopard on a 10 day safari at Hippo Valley in Zimbabwe with Gary Baldwin.

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

If you want easy then hunt Leopard with dogs. Have not figured out why we can't yet do it with Lion?

The dogs don't know the difference between male and female.

Hunting leopard the dogs aren't turned loose on a female track. Leopard often travel alone. Lions don't.

Once the dogs have something cornered or at bay, it is almost impossible to pull them off. It would get very ugly and dangerous if the dogs got on pride of lions.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
quote:
quote:

Hunting leopard the dogs aren't turned loose on a female track. Leopard often travel alone. Lions don't.

Once the dogs have something cornered or at bay, it is almost impossible to pull them off. It would get very ugly and dangerous if the dogs got on pride of lions.

Sorry Lightning it was tongue in cheek and we have already thrashed this one out in the thread - Leopard with dogs. However statistics will show that this is the 'easiest' method.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lightning - More often than not, big male lions do travel alone. But it wouldn't matter, the dogs would still be toast!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lightning - More often than not, big male lions do travel alone. But it wouldn't matter, the dogs would still be toast!!!

I understand and obviously you could be successful on lion with dogs. I was just trying to make the point about the risk involved. dogs, clients, and the dangers if the dogs did get on a pride.

I should have been more clear.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Rhodesian Ridgeback : Back in the days theese dogs were famous for tracking up lions and baying them.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to the where/with who:

I had hunted Leopard the first time on a 15 day Buffalo and Plains game hunt with Mokore Safaris in the Chewore South concession of Zimbabwe. I was hunting with Hilton Nichols, who is a long time Zim PH, and while Leopard was not my initial goal here, we saw a lot of sign and spent 7 days working on spots.

The second time was a 18 day Lion hunt in Zambia's Luangwa valley with Muchinga Adventures, and I had Alister Norton as my PH. We got within 10 yards of lioness and cubs, but not a single male was seen, not even a track. My hunt broke Alister's perfect Lion record.

The latest hunt was 15 days primarily for Leopard in the Save conservancy with Mokore Safaris again. Early season, right phase of the moon, planned in advance 2 years to get a plan. Saw little sign and the only cat I saw was a female in the tree.

I worked with a good booking agent, and my research indicated these guys were all top notch.

What time of year were you hunting in the Luangwa Valley, and did you cross tracks with leopard?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Interesting thread with everyone saying the two top ingrediants are location and PH. Put, other than listing the SAVE and Luangwa, no one has said what those areas are and who the corresponding PH's are. That is the missing information.

For me..

If I chose:

1) Save - Zambezi Hunters (Johnathan or Theirry) on a traditional hunt or Barry Duckworth's outfit(if I wanted to hunt with dogs I would go with Barry since he works with Warrick Evans (my perference of dog handler).

2) Laungwa Valley - Athol Frylinck Do your research. Athol does a great job and manages area very well. Good camps too. Great outfit.

3) Niassa Reserve - Luwire Safaris - Derek Littleton. Primitive hunt - Lots of Leopard.

4) Tanzania - TGT or Adam Clements - Both have great areas. Timing on Adams place can make for a buffalo hunt that you usually only dream of.

Anybody (Safari company or Broker) that says they have the best areas for all species are full of it most of the time. My opinion is that TGT and probably Adam are the only two that can come close to that claim. Even then they will say the the average leopard in Tanz. and Northern Moz. tend to be slightly smaller.

If I was looking at lion also, I would drop Moz. and add the Kaufe region of Zambia.

Gavin Hume's outfit and others have produced some monster lion. The buffalo coming in and out of the park can be a problem in some of these areas. But some of these oufits are trying to take only a few lion a year. Another major point of research.

To each his own...

Where is Athol Frylinck's concession relative to Muchinga?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowstone:
quote:
As to the where/with who:

I had hunted Leopard the first time on a 15 day Buffalo and Plains game hunt with Mokore Safaris in the Chewore South concession of Zimbabwe. I was hunting with Hilton Nichols, who is a long time Zim PH, and while Leopard was not my initial goal here, we saw a lot of sign and spent 7 days working on spots.

The second time was a 18 day Lion hunt in Zambia's Luangwa valley with Muchinga Adventures, and I had Alister Norton as my PH. We got within 10 yards of lioness and cubs, but not a single male was seen, not even a track. My hunt broke Alister's perfect Lion record.

The latest hunt was 15 days primarily for Leopard in the Save conservancy with Mokore Safaris again. Early season, right phase of the moon, planned in advance 2 years to get a plan. Saw little sign and the only cat I saw was a female in the tree.

I worked with a good booking agent, and my research indicated these guys were all top notch.

What time of year were you hunting in the Luangwa Valley, and did you cross tracks with leopard?

All the right stuff. Guess that's why they call it hunting.