Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa Hunt?
 Login/Join

posted
Just purchased an 8 day hunting trip to South Africa at a DU banquet. The P.H. is Shaun Keeny under Shawn Keeny Safari's. Has anyone ever used him before or know anything about him? Thanks

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Welcome here on AR forum.

Firstly, I do not know Shaun Keeny at all, but as no others seem eager to say something in reply to your question, I'll give it a try.

I am confident that the vast majority of South African hunting outfitters are perfectly safe to book with, and will deliver a plains game hunting safari experience that exceeds your expectations. Having said that, I'll repeat it in other words: There is very little risk of you getting burnt for buying a plains game safari from an outfitter about which you have not done your reference checking and other homework well.

You have done it, i.e. taken the bold step to buy this experience, now trust yourself and stop worrying about the very small risk involved in going on a hunting safari with a bit of an unknown - to you at least - hunting outfitter. In life, in general, but, it seems to apply in particular to hunting safaris, you get what you expect! I well know a particular AR member who, on poorly interpreted information, came to his own conclusion that he was going to have a nightmare safari in South Africa, even before he left. Poor guy was so self-indoctrinated that he sure as hell did have one long nightmare on, if objectively evaluated, what would have been a very good safari. My advice to you is to, rather than ponder and think about the small chance of things going wrong, be positive and enjoy the other preparations and final planning.

Really wishing you well, and we, and I regard that as all South African hunting outfitters active here on AR, are looking forward to reading about your wonderful safari in a hunt report.

In good hunting,

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shawn Keeny Safari's

link to his web site if that helps:

http://www.sksafaris.co.za/wmenu.php

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum! Hang out, ask questions. We'll be glad to tell you all we know, and probably more.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. looking forward to my hunt and adventure. Will post pictures when I can.