Find
Notify
Tools

Weapons, SA customs??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

I'm sure that this has been gone over in the past, but I'll throw it out anyway.

We are heading over to Zim on June 8. Will be flying from Dallas to Joberg, then will change airlines and fly to Harare 7 hours later.

What's the best method for handling our rifles, i.e. getting them through SA customs and into Zim?

Anybody "know the drill" on this one??

Appreiacte any input,

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Jeff: are you flying Air Zim ??? you must be nuts. ANyhow, what my travel agent recommends is you check your bags all the way through to Zimbabwe then hire an outfit like OPTIMA to ensure your bags and rifles make it all the way through. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
When I arrived to Joburg last september with my .404, I and the SA Police figured out that there wasn't any serial number on the rifle bawling

My fault. Had forgotten to stamp the rifle after the rebuilt to .404 some 12 years ago shame

Husky

Still, I don't know how we could agree about that bewildered

But as the SA Police are true Gentlemen in every aspect we agreed that I should have the serial number stamped on the barell on my return flight after the hunt... beer

Ken Stewart helped me with that and everyone was quite happy when i left the beautiful South Africa thumb

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

My mistake, same airline straight thru...going with Optima...

...Thanks for the head's up.

JW