Find
Notify
Tools

What should I do with a day in Dar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,
It looks like I am going to have an extra day to spend in Dar es salaam opn my way to the selous.
What should I do with it?

I'm not really a sit around and wait kind of guy. I was thinking of maybe going fishing in the channel (or Latham Island?) Has anyone ever chartered out of Dar, was it worth it?

Thanks
Dan

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notlim:

I may be able to help you on the fishing - PM me.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notlim,

if you don't have time when you return from the selous, and yuu want/need some trinkets for ones back home, head to Slipway. I would recommend the Maasai market, too, but there are some unsavory types hanging out. Slipway is very safe. two hours would be enough time.

Then I'd go fishing, or shop after a morning trip.

If night excitement is in your wants, Q Bar or Irish Pub are interesting. If you are staying at Sea Cliff the Karambezi Bar is quite nice.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kibo,
Pm sent

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:
Kibo,
Pm sent

notlim,

PM sent

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Fly over to Zanzibar for part of a day. See old town and the beach. Fly back the same day.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've already been to Zanzibar, and frankly once was enough. It had the best beaches I've ever seen but I didn't find much else to do.

I'm leaning towards fishing in the channel infront of Dar.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I hired a cabbie (for about 20 bucks US) to drive me around town. He showed me the US Embassy that they were rebuilding following the bombing there. Also got to see the overwhelmed AIDS hospital complete with people dying on the lawn/sidewalk. Viewed the Chinese train station and then the fish market area. Very interesting.

I had a real 'adventure' with my hotel reservations while there. First hotel 'lost' my reservation. Ended up staying at the Peabody Hotel complete with people sleeping on the sidewalk in front of the place. The hotel was like a time-warp back to 1965. I arrived very late at night and pushed the furniture in my room against door to be safe. As I finally relaxed the call-to-prayer thing started and I thought I was in a Pink Panther movie.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote