Find
Notify
Tools

Flying Lufthansa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
I've tried searching Lufthansa's site but have no luck w/ regulations for ammunition transport. Anyone travel this year w/ them & what did you do; ammo in checked bag or ammo in guncase? TSA doesn't care.
thanks

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flew them Denver to Frankfurt. Ammo in checked bag was their requirement.

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:

+1

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2

quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:

+1

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. What I would hate to happen is my rifle case makes it but my checked bag doesn't & I have a rifle & no ammo. I thought about putting a 10rd ammo wallet in the case on the bottom just to cover my bases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know one doesn't always have a choice but I stopped flying the Lufthansa when their air cargo division stopped accepting trophy shipments.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Lufthansa to SA a few years ago and on the way home the all of a sudden charged an additional 60 Euros for "handling of firearm".

The cabin personell were a bit snotty so all in all I´d rather fly with someone else.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I flew Lufthansa to China, 2 years ago. A solid 16 hours flight and the most gruesome flight I ever experienced. We were stacked like cattle. Even minute Chinamen were bothered. I had to pay an extra not for overweight but for cumbersome luggage, a roll of paintings less than 3 feet long??????
Last year a friend flew Lufthansa to Marocco. In the middle of the flight, over Mediteranean sea, the plane had to flight back. They were stranded almost one day long in Germany without any excuses. On the flight back, some Muslims in the plane yelled prayers all the flight long without any crewman daring to oppose.
Now when traveling my only requirement is : NO LUFTHANSA.
IMHO the best are : THAI, British Airways, Qantas and Air France : no surprises.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fredj338:
Thanks guys. What I would hate to happen is my rifle case makes it but my checked bag doesn't & I have a rifle & no ammo. I thought about putting a 10rd ammo wallet in the case on the bottom just to cover my bases.[/QUOTE

I would be hesatant to put any ammo in the case. When thy send it through X ray it will show up as an explosive and your rifles may not make the plane either.

I called Lufthansa last week to as the ammo procedures. as I am flying their airline at the end of the month to Namibia also, and they specifically told me that the ammo had to be in boxes made for ammo and thes boxes themselves had to be put in a locking box that would then go in the checked baggage. I asked them to clarify that the ammo boxes had to go in its own box, that locks, and this was to go in the baggage....the answer was yes. I called Gracy to check this with them and they said that this was not the case that the individual boxes could go in the checked baggage. I figure I am going to play it safe and bought a $25 locking ammo box at Cabelas. It is fairly small and will just fit 4 boxes of RUM sized ammo. Gracy said it was not necessecary but if a person was to get a ticket agent that read the same procedure page that the person on the phone read me and follows it to the line.....a guy might not get on the plane with their ammo without it being in a locking box.

Lufthansa also requires that you pre-register your firearm with Serial#, weight, dimensions and # of rounds, at least 24 hours before departure. I also asked Gracy about this and they said that they notify the airlines for you and they do not require all the info that is written in their procedure book. I went ahead and did it myself, with all the info...Just in case Wink

Good luck on your hunt and maybe we can meet up for that beer in Frankfurt on our inbound and your outbound.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Gracy did asj for number. caliber & model of rifle, I assume that was for the Luft. ticketing. My wife is coming along & I can put a locked ammo box in her checked bag. I'm not sure about the guncase registering explosives. Any "sniffer" used is going to pick p residue from the guns themselves. They are also going to be handchecked by TSA before loading, but point taken. I would hate to have my rifle miss the flight, then again, I would hate to have my ammo not arrive either. Never happened before but anything can & will when traveling across the pond.
I still need to get a res. made for hotel in Frankfurt on the return leg 9/29. If we can hook up for a beer, I'll buy.