THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lions found poisoned in Zim – report

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lions found poisoned in Zim – report
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.news24.com/Africa/Z...-zim-report-20160319

Lions found poisoned in Zim – report
2016-03-19 07:02

News24 Correspondent

Zimbabwe – Three lions have been found poisoned in southern Zimbabwe, it was reported on Friday.

The state-controlled Manica Post newspaper said the lions were believed to have been deliberately poisoned by villagers in the Chipinge area who were angry that the animals were preying on their cattle.

The attack highlights the human-wildlife conflict that exists in many parts of rural Zimbabwe.

The lions had allegedly strayed from the nearby Save Valley Conservancy, which is privately-run.

Reports said that the game fence that surrounded the conservancy had been vandalised in some areas.

The Manica Post carried a front-page picture of villagers gathered around two of the dead lions.

"Look, we are losing cattle each day. I have lost seven beasts since last year to the lions," a villager, who did not want to be named, told the newspaper.

"We have raised our concerns with the department of parks and wildlife, but they are not doing enough to contain the situation," he said. It's not clear what poison was used to kill the lions.

Poachers in Hwange in northern Zimbabwe used cyanide last year to kill about 60 elephants.

Lion-human conflict is a concern also in Hwange district. Conservationists in the area are experimenting with flashing LED lights fixed to homesteads, News24 reported last month.

In another apparent case of human-wildlife conflict that ended in the killing of an animal, the state ZBC broadcaster posted photos on its Twitter feed on Friday of what appeared to be a dead serval killed by a primary school teacher in Chirumhanzu district.

It was not immediately clear whether the cat had been attacked by someone.

ZBC said in a tweet: "Male teacher at New England [Primary School], Chirumhanzu fought and killed a wild animal using bare hands."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Link has photo of poisoned lions.

3 lions poisoned in Chipinge

Luthando Mapepa

AT least three lions that had caused havoc in Chipinge killing cattle were poisoned at the weekend and their carcases were found on Monday. The lions strayed from the nearby Save Conservancy and had killed hundreds of cattle in areas such as Chibuwe, Masimbe, Gumira, Maronga and Middle Sabi.

Councillor for Ward 20, Councillor Charles Mugidho, said the case was reported to the Department of Parks and Wildlife and the police.

“On Monday, Muchaiyana villagers discovered three lion carcases at their farms. We believe that they were poisoned on Sunday night by disgruntled villagers who had lost their cattle to the cats. The predators were killing at least two to four cattle per day in areas along Save River since last year,” said Clr Mugidho.

Efforts to get a comment from the Department of Parks and Wildlife were fruitless at the time of going to print. An elderly villager who declined to be named said they were now poisoning the wild cats to protect their livestock.

“Look, we are losing cattle each day. I have lost seven beasts since last year to the lions. We have raised our concerns with the Department of Parks and Wildlife, but they are not doing enough to contain the situation,” he said.

- See more at: http://www.manicapost.com/3-li...sthash.omXyhlen.dpuf

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201603160391.html

Zimbabwe: Lions Wreak Havoc

A MAN from Hwange has been hospitalised after he was attacked by a lion on Saturday as villagers drove away a pride of the predators that was targeting their livestock.

Villagers in Mabale Ward under Chief Dingane-Nelukoba in Matabeleland North Province told Chronicle that they had lost more than 100 cattle and goats to the marauding lions, in attacks that culminated in the man nearly losing his life.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority rangers gunned down a cub and a lioness called Frisk which had a tracking device on Saturday.

Villagers said the pride that has been terrorising them comprises three lionesses and four cubs.

Goats, cattle, dogs and chickens were at the mercy of the lions, especially at night.

On Saturday, villagers grouped together to drive away the pride, but the angry lions charged at them and almost mauled Abraham Ncube to death.

Chief Dingane-Nelukoba said Ncube is admitted to Hwange Colliery Hospital with multiple injuries.

"We have always complained about these lions, but nothing was done.

"In the past few days they killed about 40 cattle in Chezhou while others were killed in Mabale, Dopota, Songwa, Mopane and Chiguswi and as far as Halfway. I am not sure of the total number as I am still receiving reports," said Chief Dingane-Nelukoba.

Dopota village head Evans Shoko said more than 100 cattle were killed recently.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This situation is frustrating. In Namibia, most of the lion areas have established a rapid response to problem lions. Especially in the Conservancy areas around Etosha which have healthy lion populations. Working with MET, special permits to cull problem lions are issued and the cull is performed - many times with a paying customer. Of course that means the actual problem lion is culled and not the trophy lion you want to sell for a few extra bucks - which unfortunately happens all too often.

In most cases, ALL of the revenues derived from problem lion culling in Namibia are donated back to the Conservancy to be specifically used for increased game guard surveillance and more herders to control cattle encroachment into lion habitat. Which of course is the nexus of the problem - lazy cattle owners don't want to spend a few bucks a month protecting their cattle. They just want to whine when one gets tagged and then demand payment for yet more cattle; a circle of madness.

What this program has substantiated is that problem lions can be controlled and the locals are beginning to realize the value of lions. So rather that poisoning everything across the countryside, revenues can be derived from targeted culling which help mitigate future problems.

There is a win / win scenario, however, it takes a little education, cooperation and coordination. It is not that difficult and all of the collateral carnage from indiscriminate poisoning can be avoided, but the government and NGOs have to initiate and support programs like this.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Damn, first Cecil, now Frisk, who is next? sofa stir

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Fritz the cat

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
This situation is frustrating. In Namibia, most of the lion areas have established a rapid response to problem lions. Especially in the Conservancy areas around Etosha which have healthy lion populations. Working with MET, special permits to cull problem lions are issued and the cull is performed - many times with a paying customer. Of course that means the actual problem lion is culled and not the trophy lion you want to sell for a few extra bucks - which unfortunately happens all too often.

In most cases, ALL of the revenues derived from problem lion culling in Namibia are donated back to the Conservancy to be specifically used for increased game guard surveillance and more herders to control cattle encroachment into lion habitat. Which of course is the nexus of the problem - lazy cattle owners don't want to spend a few bucks a month protecting their cattle. They just want to whine when one gets tagged and then demand payment for yet more cattle; a circle of madness.

What this program has substantiated is that problem lions can be controlled and the locals are beginning to realize the value of lions. So rather that poisoning everything across the countryside, revenues can be derived from targeted culling which help mitigate future problems.

There is a win / win scenario, however, it takes a little education, cooperation and coordination. It is not that difficult and all of the collateral carnage from indiscriminate poisoning can be avoided, but the government and NGOs have to initiate and support programs like this.

AAH, but hunting is EVIL.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67392 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, the interesting thing is, we have the support of two of the largest animal protection groups in Southern Africa. Even they understand the concept of targeted culling and the benefits derived.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Saeed, the interesting thing is, we have the support of two of the largest animal protection groups in Southern Africa. Even they understand the concept of targeted culling and the benefits derived.

Regarding your statement "..... we have the support of TWO OF THE LARGEST ANIMAL PROTECTION GROUPS IN SOUTHERN AFRICA", am I correct in assuming that you are NOT referring to LionAid and the Derick and Beverly Joubert Big Cat Conservation? My understanding is that both anti-hunting organizations were critical of the Bubye Valley Conservancy after a BVC spokesperson used the "C" word during an interview with The Telegraph. Instead of assisting the BVC with translocation of their 200 surplus wild lion, both anti-hunting organizations preferred to focus on the BVC's math skills (or lack thereof).

Please note that the above is my OPINION and based entirely on my personal observations and limited research.

Welcome to the New Africa - Where No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tusk and WWF, however their benefactors don't know this...

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Opus, thanks for your feedback. Although I am familiar with WWF, I have never heard of TUSK so I checked out their website. Wow! Unlike a lot of two-bit, anti-hunting organizations masquerading around as conservationists, TUSK is the "real deal" when it comes to wildlife conservation in Southern Africa. I applaud their ongoing efforts to "walk the walk".

About Tusk

Tusk is a dynamic and pioneering organisation with 25 years of experience initiating and funding conservation, community development and environmental education programs across Africa.

Since its formation in 1990, Tusk has invested more than $40 million into a wide range of projects across the continent.

About Tusk

Tusk supports more than 50 field projects in 18 African countries that not only work to protect wildlife, but also help to alleviate poverty through sustainable development and education amongst rural communities who live alongside the wildlife. As the ever-expanding human population and its demand for more land brings increasing conflict with wildlife, Tusk’s aim is to forge an inextricable link between the preservation of Africa’s natural heritage and the future of its land, culture and people.

Conservation of wildlife remains a key objective with substantial funding being applied towards the protection of threatened species such as elephant, rhino, cheetah, chimpanzee, mountain and lowland gorilla, African wild dog, giant sable and even marine species such as turtles.

Tusk has, with its partners in the field, been at the forefront of promoting and funding community driven conservation programmes. The charity’s holistic approach recognises that the long-term future for wildlife is dependent on education and sustainable development.

HRH the Duke of Cambridge became the charity’s Royal Patron in 2005 and has been a proactive supporter of Tusk’s work ever since.

"Welcome to the new Africa - where no good deed goes unpunished"

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prince William has been a major benefactor for Tusk. They are doing good work across Africa in the area of conservation - not to be confused with animal rights activists...

tu2