Notify
Tools

ZIM-Lion spotted in Gwanda town
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lion spotted in Gwanda town

By Austin Nyathi recently in Gwanda

GWANDA Residents are living in fear following reports that a stray lion was seen in Ultra High density suburb last week.

The animal is reported to have also been spotted in the Sigodo area in the periphery of the town during the same week.
In separate interviews residents said they were now living in fear as the wild cat may pounce on them anytime.
“We are living in fear as the animal may still be lingering around and the fact that it is straying into the urban area means it can create a lot of problems for the residents of Gwanda, particularly those living in outlying suburbs such as Phakama, Spitzkop, Jacaranda and Senondo”, said a resident, Mr Mthulisi Moyo.
Mr Moyo said he spotted the king of the jungle on Tuesday afternoon last week and when it saw him it shied away into the bushes near Big Ben Mine.
“I suppose it must have strayed from nearby game ranches”, he added.
Another resident from Senondo high density suburb which is adjacent to Ultra High said it was disturbing to learn that a lion was seen in town and urged the Department of Parks and Wild Life to track the animal before it preys on human beings.
“I am really disturbed by these reports and I am only hoping that the responsible authorities will act as soon as possible before we get reports that someone has been mauled by a lion,” said Njabulo Dube
An official from Parks and Wild Life Management Authority who declined to be named said they got a report that a lion was seen in Gwanda.
“I can confirm that we received a report that a young male lion was seen in Gwanda urban near Joshua Mqabuko Poly Tech, in Sizani Farm near Vumbachigwe Mine and around Makwe area in the communal lands.
“We received the report after seven days when the animal was seen and trekked it around the district but it was to no avail and it looks like it might have gone to Shashe as reports suggest that it was last seen in the Silawa area of Kezi”, said the official.
The official said people must not delay reporting such problem animals to the Department of Parks and Wild Life as that gives them ample time to react swiftly.
“We would like to advise members of the pubic to urgently report these problem animals once they are seen in their communities as that makes our intervention very timely.
“We believe the cat had strayed from game reserves around the Shashe area of Gwanda South or it might have been chased away by other males during the mating period and was now trying to rejoin the herd,” the official added.
This is the second such incident after two pet lions belonging to Mr Peter Gibbons who stays in Khuduvale Farm some 6 kilometers out of Gwanda town also strayed into the communal areas of Gwanda South, a few years ago, sending shivers down the spines of the villagers.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9480 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote