New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double in 9.3x74
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
Would a double rifle in 9.3x74R be an ok DGR except for the big tusker and Hippo? In other words will it take anything from Cape on down including the big cats?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I would say that it would be exactly as you have stated. It would be "ok".

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Properly loaded I would much rather have it than a 45-70 double rifle!

In most countries, it is the legal bottom for Buffalo and Elephant, and in Tanzania, it is illegal for those two, and lion as well. If shooting Hippo in water, where brain shots are the norm, it is more thna needed. If, however, hippo are to be hunted on dry land, it is light for sure. It is about perfect for lion, or leopard over bait, but I think a little light for walk up in the thick stuff, but far outweighs a PRAYER!

I have a little 9.3X74R Merkel S/S double rifle, and in fairly open bush, I wouldn't be unduly opposed to takeing Buffalo with it, and there wouldn't be a second thought where the cats, over bait, are concerened! These little doubles are perfect for just about anything you might want to hunt in North America! [Cool]

[ 01-23-2003, 20:09: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a number of clients kill Buffalo, Lion and one elephant with double rifles in that caliber over the years...They seemed to do as well as the rest, from all reports..Europeans like them and due to cost clients are showing up on buffalo hunts with them from time to time.

I have used the 9.3x62 enough to say I would hunt elephant with a solid without being worried. A brain shot is a brain shot and they really penitrate, especially at the lower velocity....

You could probably search Africa over and never find a PH that would have anything but praise for the 9.3x62, so that should apply to the 9.3x74, its close enough for Government work.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Thanks gents.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
It will wrok just fine

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Mac's 9.3X74R Merkel is a joy to shoot! It points like a fine .410 shotgun and was very accurate. Yoou would like it too!

Rusty
We band of brothers!