Find
Notify
Tools

South African view
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted
There's a new South African website, www.huntersdirect.co.za It could give an insight into how lucky you guys are with hunting gear availability and price. Lucky buggers.....

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Hey there Young_PH,
Every year I have the pleasure of a friend/PH coming over in January while he is busy booking safaris.This past January I had another PH that I hunted with in 2004 stay a few days on his first trip to The U.S..The biggest problem that PH's have is first finding the big bore stuff available in our local stores.Then figuring out how much over wieght they are going to be on the return trip.

When you have hunters from the U.S. hunting with you you should be able to get them to bring you what you want.Just take it off you daily rate or tip.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Dankie vir die webtuiste Smiler

It would appear light packable folding chairs, shooting glasses and earplugs may be welcome gifts.

What about blank compact discs and lighters?

Are these good thoughts?

I see a popup blind advertised on the site. Are popup blinds gaining in popularity in RSA? They are an excellent bowhunting tool.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
They are all good thoughts. Pop-up blinds are getting more and more popular, I know a few people who use them! Smiler

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Young PH,

I will keep those items in mind.

Not surprised the popups are gaining in popularity. I began to use pop ups here in South Carolina about three years ago. Our deer season starts when it is still quite hot so insects and snakes can be a concern. I imagine this is much the same in Africa.

Here's a couple things that have helped us.

1. Replace the wire stakes they supply with the blind with the big nylon tent stakes. They hold much better.

2. Blinds with floors in them help keep snakes out. If you plan on leaving the blind up a couple weeks. Small 2.5 gallon buckets filled with sand on the floor inside the corners of the blind really help hold the blind in place.

3. The shoot thru mesh really stops bugs. But the plastic on these windows can really affect visibility and drive up the temperature in the blind. Cut the plastic off and leave the mesh intact of at least one of those windows.

4. If you are gonna hunt out of it with an open window and plan on using a thermacell to repel bugs. Put the thermacell just outside the blind NOT in it. That thing will choke you if it's inside with you.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote