THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hanging bait on a border fence? Is this ethical lion hunting?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging bait on a border fence? Is this ethical lion hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently returned from Zimbabwe and during my time there talked to a person in the hunting industry (to remain nameless) who matter of factly stated that he has hung bait on the border fence seperating Zimbabwe from Botswana in an effort to get lions to come across.

I have hunted in that area and have seen the border fence he was talking about. It is not in good shape due to elephant damage. I have also been a non hunting tourist on the Botswana side of that fence (Limpopo Valley Horse Safaris) in the Mashatu game reserve. I have had conversations with Mashatu employees where they have been very irate with the hunters on the Zim side as many of their more photogenic lions have been shot by them. I always just shrugged my shoulders in response and told them that the lions don't care about the border fences and they will wander where they will wander.

However, I do think hanging meat on a border fence in an attempt to lure lions across to be hunted to be a wee bit too agressive and very likely to inflame the anti-hunters to our own eventual detriment.

Is this type of tactic (hanging bait meat on a border fence) acceptable to the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters' Association? If not, shouldn't it be?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
On the fence is ridiculous, but one can have scent travel over the boundary from 100yds. or more away and draw the lions over the border. They probably even cross it back and forth. Never knew any animal who knows where the boundary is...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
When I hunted Matetsi Unit 3, we drove the boundary road every day looking for elephant and buffalo crossing into our concession from Botswana. The animals knew that the Bots side of the road was "safe" (photo safaris) versus our side. They also knew that there were pans full of water in our concession which is why they would cross over. Given that these animals' home range encompassed both countries, I think it would be hard to argue that one side had more right to them than the other. I would think they belonged to whichever side they happened to be on.

While I don't think it's unethical, the danger in putting up a bait right on the boundary happens after the shot. If the animal crosses the boundary and dies a foot over the line, you're out your trophy.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, at least you wouldn't have to pay the trophy fee.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I would bet you would have to pay the trophy fee. I'm also pretty confident the Parks guys would let you recover the animal.

As far as baiting along the fence, I have no problem with the practice. No matter where you bait, the point is to draw the animal from where it was to where you are waiting.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I would bet you would have to pay the trophy fee. I'm also pretty confident the Parks guys would let you recover the animal.

As far as baiting along the fence, I have no problem with the practice. No matter where you bait, the point is to draw the animal from where it was to where you are waiting.

you draw blood, you pay the trophy fee- period! as far as the Parks guys go, whose PARKS GUYS? DO YOU REALLY THINK THE BOTS. PARKS GUYS ARE GOING TO LET YOU CROSS THE BORDER TO TRACK A WOUNDED ANIMAL? somehow i doubt it. more likely you will get arrested. if its in Bots, the Zim authorities have no say in the matter. you would be SOL( AND OUT AN EXPENSIVE TROPHY FEE). every hunting contract i have ever seen stated that if you drew blood, you paid- regardless of the eventual outcome.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
My only experience was when a friend shot an elephant that crossed from the conession into Gonerezhou National Park. The Park's crew went to look for the elephant, but never found it. The trophy fee was paid however.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I shot an elephant near the Doma safari area and it crossed into the area and was lost to me. I understand the body was found later. I paid the trophy fee. There was no question about it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with hanging a bait where it is legal, assuming it is in/between hunting areas.

Hanging bait in the boarder between a hunting and non-hunting area is bad business, IMO.

I could not care less if animals are enticed out of a non-hunting area to be killed in a hunting area. But I can guarantee the photo safari D-Bags will blame hunters if their clients don't get to see the animals the want while PHs are actively baiting their animals.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim law is quite clear ...SI 362 states that no baits may be hung within 400m of a boundary...be that to a national park or an international border.

The botswana police are very zelous about picking folk up who cross over 'illegally' from zim inclusding our own game scouts getting water....Illegal rifle, no visa, hunting without a permit...I think the local BDF man would have a field day. IF the bots authorities are notified a wounded animal has crossed the border they are usually very good about following it up themselves. Returning the trophy is a different matter- some do, some don't and I have never worked out why (it is not a case of a bribe)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Ganyana said, in TZ the minimum distance where one can bait from a Park boundary is 2 km (The Act states 1km and the Regs state 2 km hilbily). No limit between 2 adjacent hunting blocks.

I think some sort of limit is a good thing for the above reasons highlighted by other posters.

The fact that many operators focus on the boundary for their hunting, whether baiting or picking up tracks, in itself is evidence enough to me that certain animals do indeed know where boundaries are Wink. It would also indicate to me that hunting pressure in the hunting concession might be excessive?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact that many operators focus on the boundary for their hunting, whether baiting or picking up tracks, in itself is evidence enough to me that certain animals do indeed know where boundaries are Wink. It would also indicate to me that hunting pressure in the hunting concession might be excessive?[/QUOTE]

+1