THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: .458 Winchester Magnum - All Around Caliber???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .458 Winchester Magnum - All Around Caliber???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
CR500

Here is a link to Conley Precision Cartridge who load 350 grain Barnes X bullets and claim 2480 FPS in the .458 Win Mag.

http://www.cpcartridge.com/458win-P.htm

I have used this load on 9 plains game animals ranging in size from Springbok to Kudu.

The recoil is about like a .375 and they for sure knock down plains game. The X bullets actually punched through Impala and similar size animals without making too big of a hole.

This wouldn't be my first choice for a plains game rifle but it worked and truthfully it was a lot of fun to shoot.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't consider the .375 H&H marginal for any animal that walks this earth..I have used it plenty and I never had a single complaint on it...Only those who read balistic charts and hunt little make such statments or those who have never used the caliber would say that....

I prefer a 416 or 404, but I have never really known why, I suppose its a mental hangup more than anything else..The 458 Lott in a CZ should really be a dandy rifle...and they are available with a simple telephone call...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN
They do not make a Blaser in 458 Win or Lott. If they did I MIGHT have mentioned it.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of using the Barnes X bullets myself. I would try it on pigs and Brumbies (wild horses)first with the 300 and 350 gn bullets, just to see how they go before taking it to Africa. I tried them a while ago in another 458 on paper only. They werent very accurate in that rifle but I never did any load development.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR,

have you used the 500 gr woodleigh soft on the mentioned game mate ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC , the only game I have shot with a 500gn woodleigh is a pig and some roos. They pretty much just punched through. Didnt do as much damage (Exit hole anyway) as my 308 with 125 Noslers or 150 woodleighs. Still dropped them though.
Actualy ,I did fire 2 shots into a drought weakened bull we had just put down. The shot through the chest ,from 1 shoulder through to the other exited, the one we fired straight front on into the chest didnt exit. We didnt dig the bullet out so I,m not sure where it ended up or what it looked like. They have a good name though so its what I will be using for big stuff if I go to Africa. I will probably stick to 400 gn woodleighs on scrub bulls and 300-350 Barnes X bullets or 350 gn Northfork bullets for pigs.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. Talked to my local shop and they're bringing in a new CZ in .458 Lott for me. Should be here in a couple of weeks, depending on their supplier.

Posts: 18 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR,

so you reckon it's a bit heavy for most of our game mate ??

I would like to try a rear end shot on a large male hopper and see if the heavy hips and spine can get the woodleigh 500 gr soft to open a bit.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
My best suggestion is to shoot a few rifles before you buy. I had a client show up last year with a brand spankin' new 458WM he had only fired to sight in. When he got to camp and I set him up to re sight it, he was flinching badly from recoil. After the third missed shot on game, I ended up lending him my extra .375 and he was fine. The .375 will be fine for just about everything you hunt, especially if you ask the PH to back up your shots if needed, something I strongly recommend even if you carry a 700NE into the bush!

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some have made an example of the 458 by touting its killing power on plainsgame, now really guys I doubt that anyone would challange its ability to kill a Eland or a duiker for that matter...

And its very usable with a good handload..but its still a poorly designed round with not enough powder space..I would much prefer a 458 Lott loaded DOWN to 458 Win. loaded UP...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote