New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Beauty
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found this on a other Forum http://www.africahunting.com/h...photo.php/photo/4064

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very beautiful Sable!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. 40" plus.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
That's a flippin' monster!!!!!

Looks to me to be way, way north of 40".

I want one so bad......:-(

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Very beautiful Sable!

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that's one of those whoppers that Jofie Lamprecht has in his Waterberg Park hunting area in Namibia. No trick photography there. I saw that sable and he's every bit of 47. He's got some more that size too, but they'll be spoken for after Reno.

This is what I mean when I say that a 40" sable is not that difficult of a standard to reach anymore. Let those 40-inchers walk and they'll grow up to be real big like this one.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is no way on earth - apropos of the location - that I would ever hunt sable in Namibia. Not indigenous and bought and sold as is livestock. There is no - or very little - doubt about that, IMHO.

Except and only in the Caprivi, should that ever be possible and actually and realistically achievable, which, to my knowledge, it is not.

Yet, I will say that the sable in the posted photo is a superb sable.

As is any sable over 40 inches in this day and age - despite all else that may be spoken and written to the contrary.

That one in particular is magnificent - albeit, I would wager, a put and take animal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well "lex" to each his own. The gentleman in the photo would obviously disagree with you. We're all at various phases and stages in our hunting career, and some pursuits in Africa make better sense to some.

Age, money, mobility, hunting skills etc are all factors one must consider. My point is that if you let the 40-inchers walk...they just might grow up to be 47-inchers.

Namibia is a fine destination, and Jofie served as the PH for my 12 year-old son Ryan, when he shot his first African trophy, a broken tooth warthog. Jofie is a solid PH, with a great operation.

Personally my first sable was at a ranch, but today I prefer something more wild. That's just me, and you too. But I'm not here to slam the guy's trophy or anyone who would travel to Namibia to get a sable.

Everybody's values are different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc-
This is a pretty one

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc: That truly is a black beauty. I like that your taxidermist didn't put folds and wrinkles in the sable's hide. It's very smooth-skinned species, but lotsa time in the lifesize sable mounts, you see wrinkles and folds because the taxidermist didn't size the mannequin properly.

So he creates wrinkles and folds to makeup for the undersizing of the manneqin. Yours is perfectly smooth all along the body from what I can see in the photo there.