Notify
Tools

any South African doctors here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and would like to throw out a couple of ?s to help plan a future hunt. I will have some time in the spring of 2007, the final year of my residency, and was hoping to combine a 4 week elective w/ a plains game/buff hunt. My first ? - time free will be limited to March through May; any productive hunting during this time period? Second, I expect to be able to go through my training program to find sponsorship; however, if anyone is aware of an internal medicine/gastroenterologist in South Africa w/ an interest in hunting I would like to make contact. Much thanks. Bill

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Must it be south Africa? - If you are interested I could probably get you in touch with Bugando Hospital in Mwanza Tanzania..... They're always keen to get visiting docs/surgeons in to help..........

If it must be RSA I could put you in touch with the flying med service in KZN........

If either of these options are of interst just e-mail me at shakari@mweb.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
To be able to get credit for the time spent, you'd probably have to do so under some university sponsored program, or at least some training program in RSA. Might be best to search through residency training programs in Africa, and the best bet would be in RSA.

As an aside, you get electives in your residency? I sure didin't. Then again we had to walk through 2 miles of snow, barefoot while making rounds. Wink

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr Mark Sutherland MD, PH. Contact me and I will put you in touch. I think he's a GP but he might be able to line you up with something. He owns a "game farm" as they are called over there, in Zululand.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How unusual, Where I live in Norhern Alberta Canada we see a steady stream of South African docs, and an American doc wants to go to RSA.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to go over to RSA in 1990 for a trauma rotation. It was the best place in the world at the time. I got activated by the military so missed the opportunity.

Just another heartbreaking thing about recent events (the crumbling of the RSA medical infrastructure - Mbeki can always fly to Zurich for his prostate exam).

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote