Find
Notify
Tools

Fill Warthog Ivory with Epoxy???
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
What's the consensus on filling warthog teeth with epoxy?

A friend of mine just had his tusks split (crack) in half...

Would epoxy before hand have prevented this?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
regular doses of Johnson's baby oil (clear version) would have prevented the cracking...... This works on any ivory, whether it be warthog, hippo or elephant. Wink

Filling the hollow doesn't stop the ivory drying out, although it might slow that process down. - Regular doses of oil keeps the tusk 'flexible' - How often you should do it will depend on temperature and humidity fluctuations of your local area. - I do all mine about 3 or 4 times a year.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I,ve done it and still they split !

I suspected that might be the case.

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
regular doses of Johnson's baby oil (clear version) would have prevented the cracking......

Thanks Steve - That sounds like a good idea.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don't use the pink version though.... the ivory absorbs the colour. Wink

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Nice to know now but mine are long ago split. I live in Southern Arizona and it's rather hot and dry here. I had 2 pair of tusks (not very nice as i have never shot a really big one) layin on the coffee table under My elephant tusks and came home one day to find one split. Thought the cleaning lady had knocked it off the table onto the tile floor. Came home a couple of days later and found another and the cleaning lady had not been to the house. A few days later I was sitting here in the afternoon and heard this sharp pop sound. Looked around and finally found that a third tusk had split. Now the last one has split. I never knew they did that and no one ever told me they did. They are still nice trophies no matter what.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris, I soaked some cotton balls in baby oil and packed the hollow of the tusks, then sealed with the wax you use for canning veggies. It's worked fine so far, after nearly 4 years. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming they work the same as regular wild boar ivory - we fill ours fully with candle wax and oil them as well. The hot wax seems to penetrate the ivory and keeps them moist.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I have filled tusks of mine warthog with regular white candle - hot wax back in 95 and they are still looking good:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote