Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 470NE double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Big Grin Just picked up a new-to-me 470NE Merkel 140A today from Harry, who accepted it for me! I bought it from one of the posters who posts here, on AR. The rifle was as NEW even-though the previous owner took two elephant, and two Buffalo with it in Zimbabwe. It came with a set of snap-caps, origenal butt plate, as it has a Kick-EEZ pad installed fitted case, Cape Buffalo soft case, custom sling by Murray, four, and one half boxes of Federal Trophy bonded solid factory ammo, origenal factory box, and paper work, and a take down version of the Tuff-Pak. The test target shows four shots all in one ragged hole on the factory target @ 50 Mtrs. with the afore-mentioned Fed trophy bonded solids. The rifle is absolutely new in every way.

Excuse me if I am acting like a kid with a new toy, because that is just what I am, except for my advanced age!

This will pair very well with my Merkel 140E 9.3X74R double. Can't wait to go to the range! clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
congratulations!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Sounds really great Mac, I love the Idea of the 470 and 9.3X74 doubles. I hope to do the same with my Krieghoff 470.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready On The Right
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

How about some pics?

Mike

Posts: 86 | Location: GA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations -- and the weather is cooling off a bit for you to go to the range. It was almost 100 when I was there last weekend. Mad

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mac photos required.

Congratulations.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You sly dog you! Dang not a word one and then BAM a new double!

Congrats Mac!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Congratulations -- and the weather is cooling off a bit for you to go to the range. It was almost 100 when I was there last weekend. Mad

where do you shoot, Charles?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac:

Sorry we did not have a chance to meet at the DRSS Hog Hunt. Please accept my condolences on the passing of your mother and mother-in-law for your family. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet at the next event.

I also have a Merkel 470 they do shoot well with the Federal TB Sledghammer...which they were regulated for...If you reload, I have been using Norma Brass, Federal 215 match grade primers, 110 grains of H4831sc (started at 108 grains and worked up)...this load regulates well with 500 grain Woodleigh Softs, Barnes Banded Solids, and North Fork Cup Points and to POA.

I will be taking mine to Tanzania loaded with the North Forks to try out on Buff this July...counting the days now!

Good luck with your rifle!

Best regards,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Way to go and I agree, great combo of guns!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep me posted on it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jawohl, Herr Mac, gutencombo! thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac..I have a bunch of 9.3 bullets brass dies ect I would love to see somone get it who could use it,I'll make you a great deal.. DD

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:
Mac..I have a bunch of 9.3 bullets brass dies ect I would love to see somone get it who could use it,I'll make you a great deal.. DD

DD I'm always interested in componants for any double rifle caliber! My E-mail is:

DUGABOY1@aol.com

Give me a buzz, and let me know what you have, and what you want for it!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
Mac:

Sorry we did not have a chance to meet at the DRSS Hog Hunt. Please accept my condolences on the passing of your mother and mother-in-law for your family. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet at the next event.

I also have a Merkel 470 they do shoot well with the Federal TB Sledghammer...which they were regulated for...If you reload, I have been using Norma Brass, Federal 215 match grade primers, 110 grains of H4831sc (started at 108 grains and worked up)...this load regulates well with 500 grain Woodleigh Softs, Barnes Banded Solids, and North Fork Cup Points and to POA.

I will be taking mine to Tanzania loaded with the North Forks to try out on Buff this July...counting the days now!

Good luck with your rifle!

Best regards,

jjs

Thank you for the kind words, JJ, and I wish I could have made the hunt as well, to meet you new guys, Maybe the next time! I'd like to see us put together a group hunt Next year, maybe a spring bear hunt in a two bear area someplace!

Thanks for the load datta as well, Luckily I got about 100 rounds of Federal factory Trophy bonded solid ammo with my 470, and it is a good thing because I don't have a set of dies for 470 any longer, as I let them go with the last 470 I had! I think I paid $90 for the ones I had (RCBS) but today they are $258 per set. Needles to say I no longer sell a rifle with a scope, or with dies! lol

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Congratulations on your new 470.
I am liiking at doing another bear hunt in Idaho In Sept. One of the guys I work with wants to go. How many of ya'll are interested?
I would like to give them a tentative number when I am up there in a couple of weeks for my June hunt.
This is a hunt over bait in a 2 bear area.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
where do you shoot, Charles?

Elm Fork out on Luna Road between Northwest Highway and LBJ. Of course it is much cooler this week, but sometimes you just have to put up with the elements.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAC
congratulations on your new merkel double, i wish u many years hunting with the rifle and a lot of trophy

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!!!!!!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lickilovac:
MAC
congratulations on your new merkel double, i wish u many years hunting with the rifle and a lot of trophy

Some one was realley bored reading 5 year OLD post. popcorn beer

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
And I thought Mac bought a new double.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That's all he does, dredge up old posts... Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Now would be a good time for a "five years with my Merkel double retrospective".

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Now would be a good time for a "five years with my Merkel double retrospective".

+1
It's back on the front page so how about giving us a progress report?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
like Charles said, check his previous posts. this guy is the king of reviving 2-7 year old posts. you just got to wonder what decade he is living in.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, excuse my computer illiteracy, but how do you tell that the post is years old? My screen shows only the day and month, not the year.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your preferences at the top and you can set the date format various ways.

Edited to ad...The only reason I know is I figured it out yesterday. Big Grin

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL Smiler Thanks very much

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's not a bad Idea! But I have two Merkel double rifles, the 470NE that was three yrs old when I bought it, and the 9.3X74R 140E that I bought new in in June of 2001!

So I'll start a new thread for the report on both! It will be a few days till I can write the report, and post it!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

That's not a bad Idea! But I have two Merkel double rifles, the 470NE that was three yrs old when I bought it, and the 9.3X74R 140E that I bought new in in June of 2001!

So I'll start a new thread for the report on both! It will be a few days till I can write the report, and post it!

That would be a "double Merkel double retrospective".

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great minds DO think alike!!
I am now the current custodian of an early Searcy Double in .470 NE, and have a Chapuis coming in 9,3x74R.

I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences with both.

Rich
DRSS x2
Does that make me a double-double rifles shooters society member?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps something good can come from this old dreged up post. clap

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well how come u gys see that iam reading all post ,that means u are reading too haha,maybe because all post have more knowledge, not like new guys suffers from magnumitis calibers

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed that you could take all of the "congrats" posts on this thread and replace "double" or "Merkel" with "grandchild" or "son/daughter"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

speak for yourself Gramps!!

Rich
A young sixty...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey "Lick",

Really, why did you congratulate MAC on a NEW double when the

last entry before yours a few days ago was just about five years
old? Clearly the "new" double of MAC's ain't new no mo' ! bewildered Confused bewildered

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote