Find
Notify
Tools

First Africa trip with sons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

I realize this is a nearly impossible and possibly controversial question. I would like to take a trip to hunt primarily plains game, and possibly buffalo with my two college age sons. They are playing intercollegiate sports and only available from late April through July 2014. Is this possible, and if so, would any of you with experience be willing to offer some advice? I would appreciate any direction including specific outfits you would recommend if you are willing to do so.

Thanks,
David

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The perfect time.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's certainly possible, and even fairly affordable. I would suggest that you save buffalo for some later trip and concentrate on plains game, both because it is more affordable and because it will be easier to book a hunt with more available guides.

Namibia is the least expensive and most productive place to hunt plains game (although there is certainly some good hunting in South Africa.) There are lots of outfits which can book you from May through July. As JA says, this is the perfect time, fall/early winter in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm sure you'll be inundated with suggestions as to which outfit to book with, and most of those suggestions will be good ones since most of the hunting outfitters in Namibia are honest and above board.

Your hunting will in all likelihood be on a "farm". But this farm, which we would call a ranch and may or may not be high fenced, will be tens of thousands of acres. The good folks I hunted with at Nomtsas http://www.farm-nomtsas.com/ have nearly 200,000 acres in one block!

I hunted with my son, and there is no experience better (except for perhaps having two sons to hunt with!)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Your proposed dates will work fine. Ideal dates might be a little later in the season but you'll do very well.

PM sent

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not saying I could afford it, but I would go somewhere unique that will hold more special memories. Namibia or SA or Moz or one of the farm hunts in Zim or Bots will be the recommendation. If I had the money I would look at a forest hunt in south east Cameroon for Bongo plus Buffalo or Sitatunga, plus a bunch of duikers. The time window is perfect. That hunt will stick in their memory.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
and only cost about $75,000 for the 3 of you( not, including airfare of course!)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The timeframe would be just fine. No problems there. There are some options for you if your willing to make a few concessions to save some money. Plains game and a buffalo bull for the 3 of you is going to run into some money. Speak to several outfitters and see what kind of a deal they can make for you.

I've taken my oldest son a couple of times now. Both times to RSA. On the second trip, we did plains game and a buffalo cow for each of us. Yes, it was on a ranch but it was a large ranch of 11,000 acres. Plenty sporting, especially for my youngster! Going for cows gives almost the same experience but at a fraction of the cost.

I took my younger son to Zim on a Leopard hunt. He hunted plains game and a buffalo cow. Leopard hunts require plenty of bait. We used his plains game animals and the buff cow for bait. This significantly reduced the cost of my leopard hunt.

These are just some ideas you might think about and discuss with your outfitters. A little creativity goes a long way sometimes toward getting a great experience for both you and your kids.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Plainsgame hunts can be done throughout that time. Later the better. For Buffalo, consider later in almost all areas (there are some exceptions).

Your dates are fine.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I went last June for his a high school graduation present. I was my first trip and the Good Lord willing will not be the last. We went early June to Namibia. It was a farm, but a big place. We had a great time and good success in spite of not getting what we were promised by the booking agent. It was not terribly expensive, going to be about $20,000 for two hunters, plus my wife as an observer, including flights, tips, and trophies shipped back to the US. A couple of things I have since learned, have at the minimum an electronic conversation with the actual outfitter. We were sold a package hunt, and the outfitter does not do package hunts. Get your trophy fees from the outfitter. And put the names of the places you are talking to on AR and get some feedback. I did not know about AR when I was booking, could have saved me a lot of trouble. Still, a great memory and one neither my son nor I will ever forget.

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas & New Mexico | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a fellow graduate of Mount Oread (the rest of you lesser mortals can go Goggle it Big Grin) thos is a perfect time to go.

Buff may be a bit much on a first trip though.

My doc in the KC area is taking his son for his HS graduation and I am going along as well.

There ar e aton of good folks you cna book with just make sure you plan it right and go slowly.

And PM me if I can be of any help.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Jayhawk,

That all sounds good and you will need about 10 days to pack everything in. Most operators will over one of your boys if not both better rates and you hunt with one PH as a team.

Choose a wild unfenced area where big game abounds.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have received several very helpful responses and great input regarding our trip plans. I appreciate all the help.
Thanks,
David

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I took my dad on a father/son plains game hunt in Namibia in June 2004 and we had a fanstastic time. I would heartily recommend it.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I took my son twice when he was in college. The first trip with him was so much fun, I simply couldn't help but dream of doing it again. Knowing that he'd soon be entering the real world and that finding time away from his coming work would push the second trip way into the future, we decided to go back for adventure #2 while we still could.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
I think its great that you want to do somthing like this with your boys. This will be a super experience.
PM sent
Dave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote