New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 v. 470
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How does the quality of available 458 caliber dangerous game bullets compare to 470 caliber bullets ?

Should one consider having his double rifle built on a 470 Nitro case necked down to 458 ? Not for any "improved" velocity but to get potentially better bullets.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would say that in the area of premium bullets. There is no difference. Woodleigh, Barnes, Speer and many others offer bullets in both diameters. The .470 offers larger frontal area and in theroy a greater shock. The .458 offers a wider range of bullet weights. But for the big stuff I see no difference. I would not alter a .470 for any reason.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
At the ranges you will be shooting the big boomers even though I own a 458 Lott and love it...I would sell my children for a double in 470....

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 470 is the double rifle cartridge that all other double rifle rounds are judged by.

The .458 requires a great deal of velocity to over come a poor penetrating bullet design. It will get the job done with enough velocity and recoil.

The 470 penetrates well with less pressure and velocity.
The 470 has been there, kicked all their asses, and sold the losers T-shirts that read
"My other rifle is a 470 Nitro Express double rifle!"

The best thing about a .458 Win Mag is that it's a whole lot cheaper than a 470 double rifle.

Just my opine.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The .458 requires a great deal of velocity to over come a poor penetrating bullet design. It will get the job done with enough velocity and recoil.

Rusty, I love you like a brother, but . . . horsefeathers!

You don't even need premium bullets to bring all difficulties to a screaming halt with any decent .458 bullet at 2100-2200 fps. All the .470 did was make it possible to shoot like a .450 NE without violating a particularly silly British regulation. Ask the buffalo I hit with my Brno/Rigby!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My preference lies towards the .470..My 470 Searcy will get me 2245 FPS with any 500 gr. .475 bullet with very little pressure and I believe that the larger cross section makes a difference in how buffalo react...I also believe velocity makes a difference in killing power..I think one must make a decision to go big around or very fast or both if you can handle it! That is for optimium effect, not to say that less won't get the job done..

I am not a big fan of the 458 Win. It was poorly designed from the beginning, like it or not, it has been and always will be a problem child...Yes, it will work with a 500 gr. bullet at 2000 FPS, but loads in the 2100 FPS require 110% "load density" and that amounts to compaction any way you cut it, and compaction makes for big problems, and has been the bain of the 458 historically..for those who dote on it, I ask why would you, when a simple punch can make it a 458 Lott and that is the quick fix that works....

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote